1207 users online (208 members and 999 guests)  

Websleuths News

VA - Crissmis Reese Jones, 5 days, beaten to death, Centreville, 4 Jan 2006

A grandmother has been charged in the death of her 6-day-old granddaughter.

The baby girl, Crissmis Noelle Reese Jones, died in early January. The grandmother, Heather Thomas, 38, of Centreville, has been charged with manslaughter in the case.

An investigation determined that the baby died of head trauma due to shaken baby syndrome.
    http://www.nbc4.com/news/6063399/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

That poor baby. 5 days old. Never even had a chance.

Three Years Prison for Child's Death

WARNING! LINK CONTAINS GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OF CRISSMIS' INJURIES.
    By Bonnie Hobbs
    Thursday, December 20, 2007

If she'd lived, Crissmis Noelle Reese Jones would be enjoying all the Christmas lights and looking forward to celebrating her second birthday on Dec. 30.

But she was never given the chance. Instead, as a newborn infant, she was beaten so brutally inside her Centreville home that she died at just five days old. And last Friday in Fairfax County Circuit Court, her 40-year-old grandmother, Heather Tracie Thomas, was sentenced to three years in prison for the crime.

snip

State sentencing guidelines called for zero to six months in jail. But, stressing the severity of the injuries inflicted on Crissmis, Pavluchuk said this offense "warrants not probation, but a loss of liberty; significant incarceration is appropriate."

snip

THOMAS entered an Alford plea, not admitting guilt, but acknowledging the existence of enough evidence to find her guilty. Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Camille Turner said Thomas told Det. John Wallace that, the night of Jan. 3, 2006, she had six to eight shots of bourbon and rum."

"At 4 a.m., the baby was crying, and [Thomas] said she fed Crissmis and put her back in her crib," continued Turner. "When the baby cried again [after a short while], the defendant demonstrated to police on a stuffed animal how she shook Crissmis for about 20 seconds."

snip

But defense attorney Michael Arif said the child's mother, Samantha Jones, gave him a written statement, a year later, in which she admitted waking, Jan. 4, 2006, around 1 or 2 a.m., while Thomas slept, and bringing Crissmis into her own bed for some "mom-and-baby time."

But Jones fell asleep and woke up atop the infant. Said Arif: "She was scared because the baby wasn't responding ... so she shook her forcefully because she was frightened." When Crissmis suddenly opened her eyes, Jones placed her back into the crib and, not telling anyone what happened, raced back to bed and pulled the covers over her head.

snip

But Thacher, saddened, disgusted and angry at what happened to the infant, would have none of it. "I understand you entered an Alford plea, but I reject it out-of-hand," he told Thomas. "This wasn't a shaken-baby case — this was about a 5-day-old child who had 26 trauma sites to her body and four subdural hematomas to her skull."

THACHER painstakingly listed, one by one, each and every injury the newborn had sustained (......)

snip

Thacher told Thomas: "You've pleaded guilty and, if ever a case called for deviation from the guidelines, this is it." He then sentenced her to 10 years in prison, suspending seven, and placing her on four years active probation upon her release.

BBM - Much more at link:
    http://connectionnewspapers.com/arti...per=62&cat=104

Heather Thomas

Housed: Virginia Correctional Center for Women
    Projected Release Date: 11/29/2010
    Last edited by Belinda; 05-13-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Three years for killing a five day old baby----I can not type what I am thinking.

Yeah, me either.

What is wrong with this world?

I swear that every single time I read one of these stories, I think "That SOB will surely get LWOP!" Then I read on to see that they MAYBE get a few years... Most not even that much.

It makes me ill that people are getting more time for not paying child support than they are for murdering babies. How does any of that make sense???

JMO but the laws need to be changed.

State sentencing guidelines called for zero to six months in jail. But, stressing the severity of the injuries inflicted on Crissmis, Pavluchuk said this offense "warrants not probation, but a loss of liberty; significant incarceration is appropriate."
    Last edited by Noway; 05-13-2010 at 11:42 AM.

3 years for brutally killing a baby? 15 years for selling some pills (Cummings case). Please help me understand....

Mel

I wondered if she was out of prison, but not until November of this year.

Projected Release Date: 11/29/2010
    http://www.vadoc.virginia.gov/offend...or/results.cfm

(you'll have to put her name in to get her record)

Looks like the baby's mom may have been involved but because the grandmother plead guilty, she was never charged.

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/...per=62&cat=104
    Last edited by Noway; 05-13-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added text in parens re link

Unhappy She is out.

That Heather Thomas you see on the Department of Corrections website is Heather Renee Thomas. The woman who killed Crissmis is Heather Tracie Thomas. She was released April 5 of this year. She served less then 3 years. And she has 4 years of active probation. She also had a baby right before she went in. A girl. And her daughter had another child while granny was locked up. A son. And the son, about 2, lives with them in their house. All of them, one big, happy, child killing family. And no one in any form of law enforcement cares that there is a toddler there.
    As for Heather's young daughter, last I heard she was in Ky with her husbands family. She might be back here by now. She's about 3.
    Please God, just watch over these children.

wait, the guidline for murdering a 5 day old baby is zero to 6 months?

yeah our justice system rocks!

The killing will never stop until its the death sentence for those murdering children!!!!
    narrow, limited thinker, but I'm trying to grow

kaRN is offline Verified Health Professional - Registered Nurse
    Quote Originally Posted by kbl8201 View Post
    wait, the guidline for murdering a 5 day old baby is zero to 6 months?

yeah our justice system rocks!
    Under Connors Law, a fetus is a person with more rights to justice than a born child. YIKES!!

Injustice for Caylee Marie Anthony.

Copyright that Cindy

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Suess

Quote Originally Posted by kaRN View Post
    Under Connors Law, a fetus is a person with more rights to justice than a born child. YIKES!!
    trying not to show my pro life stance but since when? and why does a born baby have less?

i need a vacation