GUILTY VT - Peter Coffin, 37, shot to death, Winhall, Oct 2003

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
Due to the Vermont law that states that exempts relatives from being charged as accessories,a mother hid her sons body in the cellar for five days while she was still residing in the house and got away with it.
Here is a summary;
This woman lived with her son in Vermont.Her younger brother moves in with them.The womans brother decided that he would bait deer in the backyard to kill the deer.Apparently the mans nephew saw a deer and shot it.The man came home,saw the dead deer and chased his nephew with a gun.The nephew ran to the cellar door and closed it.The man shot his nephew in the head through the closed door.Apparently he said that he feared for his life since both were drinking at the time.
The mother then tried to help her brother remove the body from the cellar.
This happened in 2003 and the trial is still going on for the man who killed his nephew.The prosecutors attempted to subpoena a reporter to testify in the trial to impeach the credibility of the accused.The judge stopped the subpoena stating freedom of the press.An interview by phone was conducted by the reporter to the accused.The accused stated to the reporter that he knew nothing of the crime.This interview took place hours after the accused tried to enlist a friend to help bury the body.It would show that the accused was still trying to cover up the murder.The accused tried to use a self-defence story saying that he feared for his life because his nephew had been drinking and he feared for his life.The nephew was behind a door,the accused had a gun.Am I missing something here?
As far as the mother getting off because of the Vermont law,how could be and how can a mother do this to her son.I would like opinions on this please.

Interesting story. Do you have any links to the articles on this?

Interesting family dynamics. Vermont is in the news a lot lately. Not quite as sleepy as all were led to believe. Some ugly things are coming out now. Thanks for the link we will be following all of this.

BTW, I forgot to say welcome to WS Dark Shadows!

I guess that Vermont has an outmoded law on the books, that will prevent charging this woman with being an accessory. It looks as though they are planning to review the law, and I would have to say about time. The alleged mother could have reported the murder at any time, and she not only didn't...she assisted in burying the body.
I don't know how any real mother could do that. I would question the family dynamics here, and wonder about the other family circumstances. Was there ay question about drugs here?
Do you know the family Dark Shadows?

mysteriew said:
BTW, I forgot to say welcome to WS Dark Shadows!

I guess that Vermont has an outmoded law on the books, that will prevent charging this woman with being an accessory. It looks as though they are planning to review the law, and I would have to say about time. The alleged mother could have reported the murder at any time, and she not only didn't...she assisted in burying the body.
I don't know how any real mother could do that. I would question the family dynamics here, and wonder about the other family circumstances. Was there ay question about drugs here?
Do you know the family Dark Shadows?

Myst, sometimes it isn't even about drugs. Outmoded laws for sure. Family dynamics are more an issue here. As this unfolds I can/will add more. I think I am coming out. LOL! I also want to know if Dark Shadows knows the family.

Thank-you for your post Concernedperson.There are alot of crimes that happen here that most people are not aware of.If people knew some of the crimes......
Mysteriew,I thank-you also for your post.
I did not know the family.I am a parent and have a job that puts me more to light of crimes that happen more than the general public is aware of.I say this because not every case makes the news.If it does there are some who miss the news because of their work hours or they do not keep up with the news every day.The drug that was apparently involved was alchohol.The killing was apparently over a deer and the accused is using alchohol as a defence.
The man accused is now residing out of state in Ky.
Here is another article concerning the case.
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050111/NEWS/501110342/1003/NEWS02

OK, a belt was cinched around his neck? So he was culpable how? Sounds like to me the uncle had issues and the mother believed in her "first family" and their issues and opinions.Not unheard of in dysfunctional families but it still sucks.

Very confusing. Let me see if I have this straight.
Dodge shoots Coffin (supposedly in self defense)
He attemts to dig a grave to bury him in, and can't?
He burns some evidence
He wraps the body in a blanket
He waits five days
Then he turns himself in and confesses

Doesn't sound like your typical self defense scenario.
Did anyone ever report Coffin missing?
Do you have any of the original articles on the finding of the body?

concernedperson said:
OK, a belt was cinched around his neck? So he was culpable how? Sounds like to me the uncle had issues and the mother believed in her "first family" and their issues and opinions.Not unheard of in dysfunctional families but it still sucks.

dysfunctional families create more dysfunctional families who then create more dysfunctional families. What we as a society need.. is for the cycle to be broken!

From April 2005:

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050402/NEWS/504020342/1003

Bruce Dodge was sentenced Friday to serve four to 15 years in jail for killing his nephew and then trying to bury the body.

Judge David Suntag cited the unique and "perplexing" circumstances surrounding the crime when handing down the sentence in Bennington District Court...

A jury convicted Dodge of involuntary manslaughter, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in jail.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back