1105 users online (276 members and 829 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,594

    Mr. & Mrs. R

    I have always wondered something and maybe some of you can shed some light on it. The ransom note was titled Mr. Ramsey. The practice note was titled Mr. and Mrs. R, (the downward slash of the R only, as we know). What I can't seem to put my finger on is what difference this makes? Why change it to just Mr. Ramsey? I have to say up front that I believe Patsy wrote that note. But I'm still able to look at it from all sides. I wonder, if it was an intruder who wrote it what was the reason for changing it? I wonder, if Patsy wrote it what was the reason for changing it? I've thought before that if Patsy wrote it then it would be better for her if she included the Mrs. Ramsey, since she would then look more like a victim. But the actual content of the note only refers to John, even calling him by his first name. So did the notewriter know already what they were going to write in the note and therefore to address it to Mrs. Ramsey wouldn't make sense because there's nothing about her in it? That would be premeditated then, and not written as a cover-up for an accident. Also theres been a big deal about the fact that Jonbenet's name was never written , but then again neithor was Burkes, or Patsys. But back to my original question. I fail to see a reason to change the heading from Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey to just Mr. Ramsey. It seems too simplistic to say that Patsy wrote the note and that's why she didn't include herself. It wouldn't be self-incriminating in my view, it would have made her seem like more of a victim. What the heck am I missing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7,924
    trixie,

    This is an interesting one, and will likely generate many options.

    My favorite is that there was more than one ransom note, then another one, which was revised into what we finally know about.

    This fits with my theory that there were multiple stagings by different people, the first one may have been more lurid and confrontational, JonBenet may have been posed as BlueCrab suggest to reflect this, then she may have been redressed, had her hair styled, and the rest e.g. the paintbrush handle, her barbie-gown is incremental ad-hoc staging.

    To reflect this latter scenario the ransom note was re-written to reflect a bedtime abduction. The RN rationale revolves around John and his corporate wealth, the links with defense contracts allow the terrorist threats. Why should the author of the RN assume the abductors knew JonBenet's name?

    Then there are the missing pages from the notepad, it all adds up to different notes for different events.


    .

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    My first guess is the young writer thought that "Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey" sounded too polite, so he changed it to give it a much more threatening tone -- "Mr. Ramsey".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    My first guess is the young writer thought that "Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey" sounded too polite, so he changed it to give it a much more threatening tone -- "Mr. Ramsey".
    That's a good guess BlueCrab.
    I wonder why it wasn't addressed to just "John",as the RN author used his name further down in the note.

    At one time,I thought maybe the author didn't know,or wasn't sure of John's wife's name or his daughter,and only knew them as that rich family,but knew JR's name through his company and article's from local papers.

    But I'm not so sure about that anymore.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    My first guess is the young writer thought that "Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey" sounded too polite, so he changed it to give it a much more threatening tone -- "Mr. Ramsey".
    I agree. Mr and Mrs has more of a social overtone. Just Mr. is more serious and business-like.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    343
    Looking at it two ways:

    1 - patsy wrote the note - In the first draft, she included herself because she thought it would make her appear more innocent. On second thought, she realized that it may do just the opposite, because the author was targetting John, not Patsy, so she decided to remove her name because leaving it in might be "too obvious."

    2 - a third party wrote the note - I like the explanation of changing it because the author only knew John's first name. Although this suggests a stranger. I really think that if this was an outsider, it was no stranger to the Ramseys.

    Another explanation that could be applied to (1) or (2): the practice note was a test-drive of the author's "disguised" handwriting. The final draft was changed for no significant reason at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342

    Juvenile Perspective "Mr. and Mrs."

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    My first guess is the young writer thought that "Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey" sounded too polite, so he changed it to give it a much more threatening tone -- "Mr. Ramsey".
    Bluecrab,
    I also thought it was to sound more threatening. I never gave it much thought beyond that, but you have raised a good point. So maybe what we have here is a perp who begins to write Mr. and Mrs., but that looks too respectful, so they changed it. I agree totally that it sounds juvenile.

    The note seems to seep with vengeance towards JR. If the perp had such a hard on for JR, then why didn't he get right down to it. That leads me to think that it wasn't a personal vendetta towards JR. Either the perp had a hard on for what the R's represented (Miss America and rich defense contractors) or the note was not written by an intruder.

    I also think juvenile could be older such as a sophomore. That would tie in with the political vendetta verses personal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,594

    Well

    when you think about this don't forget Patsy ADMITTED writing the Mr. and Mrs. R. She said it was the beginning to an invitation to a social function. Now that you remember that Patsy wrote the practice note does your opinion change?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by trixie
    when you think about this don't forget Patsy ADMITTED writing the Mr. and Mrs. R. She said it was the beginning to an invitation to a social function. Now that you remember that Patsy wrote the practice note does your opinion change?
    I can't remember. Did Patsy say she had written it or did Barb Fernie say Patsy said she might have?

    Added: Never mind, I found it. It wasn't Barb Fernie it was Pam Griffin and she said she was just "speculating."


    http://thehistoryvault.tripod.com/02291999feedingfrenzy-bw.htm

    Shapiro's rapport with Thomas won him certain privileges. On at least one occasion, Thomas allowed Shapiro to sit in on a sensitive investigation. In July 1997, Thomas asked me to come to the police station to phone Pam Griffin, a friend of Patsy Ramsey, so that he could surreptitiously tape the conversation. The detective wanted to document a remarkable assertion that Griffin had made to me: Patsy Ramsey admitted to her that she wrote the so-called "practice note."

    However, said Griffin, Patsy claimed that it was just the aborted start of an invitation to some event which Patsy couldn't recall. Thomas allowed Shapiro to monitor my conversation with Griffin. The session was a bust, though, when Griffin dismissed her previous comments as "speculation" about Patsy's actions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    Bluecrab,
    I also thought it was to sound more threatening. I never gave it much thought beyond that, but you have raised a good point. So maybe what we have here is a perp who begins to write Mr. and Mrs., but that looks too respectful, so they changed it.
    So the writer thinks Mr and Mrs looks too respectful, but then writes that inane sentence "we respect your business"?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by rashomon
    So the writer thinks Mr and Mrs looks too respectful, but then writes that inane sentence "we respect your business"?
    Yup, the writer tried to sound threatening but still let that slip in. "It's up to you now, John." also shows the confusion the writer had between respect and threat.

    Note, on the other hand, we could have a very clever perp (since the perp has still not being brought into court). It was spelled "bussiness" which could secretly mean "kissiness".

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by tipper
    I can't remember. Did Patsy say she had written it or did Barb Fernie say Patsy said she might have?

    Added: Never mind, I found it. It wasn't Barb Fernie it was Pam Griffin and she said she was just "speculating."


    http://thehistoryvault.tripod.com/02291999feedingfrenzy-bw.htm

    Shapiro's rapport with Thomas won him certain privileges. On at least one occasion, Thomas allowed Shapiro to sit in on a sensitive investigation. In July 1997, Thomas asked me to come to the police station to phone Pam Griffin, a friend of Patsy Ramsey, so that he could surreptitiously tape the conversation. The detective wanted to document a remarkable assertion that Griffin had made to me: Patsy Ramsey admitted to her that she wrote the so-called "practice note."

    However, said Griffin, Patsy claimed that it was just the aborted start of an invitation to some event which Patsy couldn't recall. Thomas allowed Shapiro to monitor my conversation with Griffin. The session was a bust, though, when Griffin dismissed her previous comments as "speculation" about Patsy's actions.
    Let's get the facts straight. According to the above, we only have Shapiro saying that Pam Griiffin said that Patsy wrote the "practice note" and then Griffin reversing. So, I conclude that Patsy did not say that.

    The BIG question now to me is WHY would Pam Griffin suggest such a thing?

    With a guy like Shapiro running around in the cop shop and the DA's office, no wonder things got out of control. Tabloids running an investigation!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,183
    I liked Shapiro.
    He was dedicated in finding JonBenet's killer and to this day, still is.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert
    Let's get the facts straight. According to the above, we only have Shapiro saying that Pam Griiffin said that Patsy wrote the "practice note" and then Griffin reversing. So, I conclude that Patsy did not say that.

    The BIG question now to me is WHY would Pam Griffin suggest such a thing?

    With a guy like Shapiro running around in the cop shop and the DA's office, no wonder things got out of control. Tabloids running an investigation!

    For what it's worth I TOTALLY believe Patsy wrote the practice note. And I think Pam Griffrn was protecting her and trying to deflect. It came from somewhere, you know. And after all lest we forget, Pam Griffin "adores" Patsy.

  15. #15

    why Mr and Mrs and then just Mr

    I think Patsy was told to write the note and the first paragraph was dictated to her by the coverup mastermind.

    She might have been told to write Mr and Mrs at the start then, when the dictater realised that the second sentence was going to be "We respect your bussiness..., aimed primarily at John, he decided that the Mrs was inappropriate and told her to started again with just the Mr.

    I think that once the coverup mastermind had finished dictating the first paragraph he told Patsy that she must finish the note by herself but that she had to:
    1. demand $118000 as the ransom amount
    2. tell John to be prepared to wait a long time for the kidnapper to call back
    3. put enough threats in the note to stop John from calling the police

    I think that while Patsy was doing all this she became really worked up and got all emotional and began to release all her pent up rage towards her husband for his (according to her disturbed thought processes) having allowed this appalling thing to have happened to JonBenet and finally lapsed into calling him 'John'.
    Last edited by aussiesheila; 01-23-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast