GUILTY MS - Clovis Reed, 51, found decapitated, Simpson County, 4 April 2003

PonderingThings

Former member
Reaction score
I did a search and didn't come up with the key names in this case, so if this has been posted already my apologies

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060113/NEWS/601130365/1002/NEWS01

Excerpts:

Suspect admits she OK'd slaying
# Edmond claims witness killed for wanting more scam money

Kathleen Nelson and Roosevelt Walker's murder trial is scheduled for Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Jackson. Levon Edmond is expected to be a witness.

Two days after she denied knowing that federal witness Clovis Reed would be killed, Levon Edmond admitted Thursday that she agreed to the slaying and alleged one of her accomplices had killed another woman earlier.

The second woman's body is buried in the same area where Reed's headless and handless corpse was found in Simpson County in 2003, Edmond told U.S. District Judge Henry T. Wingate.

Edmond, 43, also revealed an unnamed co-conspirator in Reed's death, and within hours, the FBI announced the arrest of Joe Lewis Collins, 59, of Magee on a murder charge. His arrest brings to four the number of people charged in Reed's slaying. A fifth person, Edmond's daughter, Shunterria Wiggins, 25, of Canton, has pleaded guilty to perjury.

Wingate delayed Edmond's guilty plea to conspiracy to commit murder Tuesday after she said she knew of plans to beat Reed, 51, of Canton only to scare her out of testifying. Hours later, federal prosecutors said their deal with her was off and they were going to try Edmond with her sister, Kathleen Nelson of Canton, and Nelson's boyfriend, Roosevelt Walker, on Tuesday before Wingate.

But in an about-face Thursday, Edmond detailed to Wingate how and why Reed was killed.

"Yes, I agreed to it," Edmond said of having Reed killed. "I know it's wrong for wanting her dead, but I was p----- off with her because she put the police on me."

She said she told Collins to "kick her butt good for me."

She said Collins and Walker killed Reed to prevent Reed from testifying against Edmond and her sister. The women were accused of embezzling Reed's $50,000 black farmers' settlement check in 2001.

MUCH MORE AT LINK

Remains Found In Mississippi Are Missing GA Woman

DNA Tests Confirm Eboni Scott's Remains

POSTED: 11:27 am EDT March 24, 2007

MENDENHALL, MS -- Authorities in Mississippi say remains discovered in Simpson County last week have been identified as 23-year-old Eboni Nikole Scott, a missing Georgia woman.
The Simpson County Sheriff's Department and the F-B-I said yesterday that the test results were returned to investigators late Thursday.
Scott's death has been linked to that of Clovis Reed, a federal witness whose torso was discovered in 2003. Scott was from Jonesboro, Georgia.
Sheriff Kenneth Lewis said in the statement -- quote -- "We are treating this case as a homicide investigation. There are a couple of leads that we are following and are asking for the public's assistance with information related to the case."

more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/11362036/detail.html?rss=atl&psp=news

From September 2008:

http://www.picayuneitem.com/2008/09/beheading-of-federal-witness-being-tried/

Kathleen Nelson and her boyfriend, Roosevelt Walker, both of Canton, were convicted on February 2006 of conspiracy to commit murder in Reed's death and sentenced to life in prison.

Levon Edmond, also of Canton, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder and was sentenced to 25 years in 2006.

From December 2008:

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/9468...wo-life-sentences-for-decapitation-of-witness

Joe Lewis Collins of Magee was convicted of murdering 51 year-old Clovis Reed.

A judge sentenced him to two life sentences without parole to run concurrently.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back