Deaf Man Shot Dead as Neighbors Scream at Police "He Can't Hear You"

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]A deaf man carrying a metal pipe was fatally shot by Oklahoma City police Tuesday night as neighbors frantically tried to tell officers that he couldn't hear their commands.[/FONT]
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...a-city-police-neighbors-scream-horror-n803031

If only the deaf man's father hadn't fled the scene of a hit and run none of this would have happened.

If the police heard the neighbor's screams none of this would have happened.

Did the cops hear the neighbor's scream? I would imagine you would be hyperfocused on the guy with the weapon. I don't know.

Heartbreaking.

If only the deaf man's father hadn't fled the scene of a hit and run none of this would have happened.

If the police heard the neighbor's screams none of this would have happened.

Did the cops hear the neighbor's scream? I would imagine you would be hyperfocused on the guy with the weapon. I don't know.

Heartbreaking.

Very sad.

Was Magdiel Sanchez advancing toward the officers aggressively? I would think if he was, that would be one of the first things LE reported. Such a sad ending for this poor guy.

It seems a little extreme for a man holding a pipe. You'd think they'd at least not aim at fatal areas of the body if they're going to shoot.

According to the above link, he was 15 feet away. One cop tasered him and the other cop shot at him multiple times.
He carried the pipe to fend off dogs when he walked at night, according to neighbors.

We have to figure out a different way because this kind of stuff is just to freaking hard to read and see repeatedly.

This is getting so prevalent. Law Enforcement is out of control. Far too many incidents of LE shooting and asking questions later.

This is disgusting. If they were using the taser on this man, there was no need to shoot at all. The taser is enough to physically disable someone for long enough to let the officers safely restrain them.

Thats before we even get onto the fact that the neighbour informed them that the victim was deaf.

I hope that this cop is convicted of murder, but I won't hold my breath!

Local source:

http://newsok.com/deaf-man-shot-killed-by-police-in-se-okc-tuesday/article/5564788

Mathews said Lindsey had a Taser drawn and Barnes had a handgun pointed at Sanchez as they ordered him to drop the pipe. Witnesses at the scene were yelling at the officers that Sanchez was deaf, but Mathews said it was unknown if the officers heard them.

Both officers fired their weapons after Sanchez began to approach them. Mathews said Sanchez was about 15 feet away from the officers when he was shot. Witnesses said the Taser deployed at the same time Sanchez was hit by the gunfire."

RIP, Mr. Sanchez. You didn't deserve this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• oklah.jpg
    oklah.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 297
Interview with witness — local news source. Some news outlets are saying he was deaf and also nonverbal. So sad.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/witness-describes-moment-oklahoma-city-police-officer-shot-a-deaf-man

Sanchez, who witnesses say was non-verbal and waved his arms often when trying to communicate, immediately dropped to the ground. He was later pronounced dead by EMSA at the scene. Friends and neighbors say they're now left with more questions than answers.

"He was never aggressive to nobody. We've known him since he's lived here and he was a real nice guy. I mean, I don't think he deserved to die like that."

Agreed. Usually, police aren't trained to "shoot to disable," though.

Considering they also had Tasers out and Sanchez was 15 or more feet away, I'm not sure why they would fire their weapons at all at that point. :(

It seems a little extreme for a man holding a pipe. You'd think they'd at least not aim at fatal areas of the body if they're going to shoot.

My fear is that this will somehow become his fault. The more I read the sadder I become. I work with disabled young adults and I fear for them when they take the bus or subway home.

This is so heartbreaking. The taser should have been sufficient to drop him if they were concerned. He might still have been alive if they'd only waited a few more seconds.

Wasn't there a very similar case years ago that involved a deaf man with a broom?

People are saying that cops are out of control. But could it be that some of the public is out of control as well-which helps trigger these kinds of reactions?

I think there needs to be some context, for what often happens when officers go serve warrants at homes:

2 officers shot while serving warrant
Sep 19, 2017
The man who allegedly shot at the officers barricaded himself in his home for several hours before surrendering to the police, according to OSBI.
http://www.theadanews.com/news/loca...cle_ddf7b37d-359b-54e6-a8c3-83ce396eab6b.html

Pomona Officer Shot Serving Search Warrant in San Gabriel: Police
Sept 14, 2017
A Pomona police SWAT officer was shot and wounded while serving a search warrant, police said early Tuesday.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/81803177-157.html

Texas SWAT officer shot while serving warrant, suspect in custody

AUSTIN*—*An Austin police SWAT officer was shot while executing a search warrant at a home in North Austin early Thursday, Austin police Chief Art Acevedo said. Another SWAT team member exchanged fire with the shooter, who surrendered to police within minutes of the shooting.

https://www.policeone.com/officer-s...hot-while-serving-warrant-suspect-in-custody/

None of this is to say that this victim did anything wrong. I am just saying that the situations are automatically tense and explosive and when someone approaches cops while holding a potential weapon, things can go sideways fast. JMO

Just as there can be examples of officers being harmed there are many that are far too similar to this one; where someone who isn't a threat is killed. This was not a man running towards them with malice and being shot in the process, this is a possible threat being met with excessive force. The officer that shot had no justification to do so, especially with the taser about to be fired.

I think the thing that upsets me most is that if the shooting officer hadn't been on duty- or at least the one responding to backup. This would have probably ended much differently.

People are saying that cops are out of control. But could it be that some of the public is out of control as well-which helps trigger these kinds of reactions?

I think there needs to be some context, for what often happens when officers go serve warrants at homes:

2 officers shot while serving warrant
Sep 19, 2017
The man who allegedly shot at the officers barricaded himself in his home for several hours before surrendering to the police, according to OSBI.
http://www.theadanews.com/news/loca...cle_ddf7b37d-359b-54e6-a8c3-83ce396eab6b.html

Pomona Officer Shot Serving Search Warrant in San Gabriel: Police
Sept 14, 2017
A Pomona police SWAT officer was shot and wounded while serving a search warrant, police said early Tuesday.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/81803177-157.html

Texas SWAT officer shot while serving warrant, suspect in custody

AUSTIN*—*An Austin police SWAT officer was shot while executing a search warrant at a home in North Austin early Thursday, Austin police Chief Art Acevedo said. Another SWAT team member exchanged fire with the shooter, who surrendered to police within minutes of the shooting.

https://www.policeone.com/officer-s...hot-while-serving-warrant-suspect-in-custody/

None of this is to say that this victim did anything wrong. I am just saying that the situations are automatically tense and explosive and when someone approaches cops while holding a potential weapon, things can go sideways fast. JMO

So, they felt their lives were in danger by a man with a weapon that he uses to scare dogs away? Two fully armed men were threatened by a man walking toward them with a pipe? What did they think that he was going to do? Do a Bruce Lee move and hit both of their guns out of their hands in a lightning move?

You can't keep defending this forever. I felt threatened by a woman in pyjamas wanting to speak to me. So I killed her.

So, they felt their lives were in danger by a man with a weapon that he uses to scare dogs away? Two fully armed men were threatened by a man walking toward them with a pipe? What did they think that he was going to do? Do a Bruce Lee move and hit both of their guns out of their hands in a lightning move?

You can't keep defending this forever. I felt threatened by a woman in pyjamas wanting to speak to me. So I killed her.

Perhaps those who want to murder people should join the police force. You can kill anyone you like as long as you give the explanation that you 'felt threatened'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back