787 users online (128 members and 659 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha

Deaf Man Shot Dead as Neighbors Scream at Police "He Can't Hear You"

A deaf man carrying a metal pipe was fatally shot by Oklahoma City police Tuesday night as neighbors frantically tried to tell officers that he couldn't hear their commands.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...horror-n803031
    If only the deaf man's father hadn't fled the scene of a hit and run none of this would have happened.

If the police heard the neighbor's screams none of this would have happened.

Did the cops hear the neighbor's scream? I would imagine you would be hyperfocused on the guy with the weapon. I don't know.

Heartbreaking.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    If only the deaf man's father hadn't fled the scene of a hit and run none of this would have happened.

If the police heard the neighbor's screams none of this would have happened.

Did the cops hear the neighbor's scream? I would imagine you would be hyperfocused on the guy with the weapon. I don't know.

Heartbreaking.
    Very sad.

Was Magdiel Sanchez advancing toward the officers aggressively? I would think if he was, that would be one of the first things LE reported. Such a sad ending for this poor guy.
    I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    - Audrey Hepburn

It seems a little extreme for a man holding a pipe. You'd think they'd at least not aim at fatal areas of the body if they're going to shoot.

According to the above link, he was 15 feet away. One cop tasered him and the other cop shot at him multiple times.
    He carried the pipe to fend off dogs when he walked at night, according to neighbors.

We have to figure out a different way because this kind of stuff is just to freaking hard to read and see repeatedly.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

In Utah, officers are doing training to help them locate hikers who are deaf:

http://fox21news.com/2017/09/17/utah...-who-are-deaf/

This story is just so very tragic. Wow, this should not happen to anyone, no matter what.
    "A word after a word after a word is power."
    ~Margaret Atwood~

This is getting so prevalent. Law Enforcement is out of control. Far too many incidents of LE shooting and asking questions later.

Heartbreaking

This is disgusting. If they were using the taser on this man, there was no need to shoot at all. The taser is enough to physically disable someone for long enough to let the officers safely restrain them.

Thats before we even get onto the fact that the neighbour informed them that the victim was deaf.

I hope that this cop is convicted of murder, but I won't hold my breath!

EuTuCroquet? is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST
    Local source:

http://newsok.com/deaf-man-shot-kill...rticle/5564788

Mathews said Lindsey had a Taser drawn and Barnes had a handgun pointed at Sanchez as they ordered him to drop the pipe. Witnesses at the scene were yelling at the officers that Sanchez was deaf, but Mathews said it was unknown if the officers heard them.

Both officers fired their weapons after Sanchez began to approach them. Mathews said Sanchez was about 15 feet away from the officers when he was shot. Witnesses said the Taser deployed at the same time Sanchez was hit by the gunfire."
    RIP, Mr. Sanchez. You didn't deserve this.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuTuCroquet?; 09-20-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: uploaded photo

EuTuCroquet? is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST
    Interview with witness — local news source. Some news outlets are saying he was deaf and also nonverbal. So sad.

http://okcfox.com/news/local/witness...hot-a-deaf-man

Sanchez, who witnesses say was non-verbal and waved his arms often when trying to communicate, immediately dropped to the ground. He was later pronounced dead by EMSA at the scene. Friends and neighbors say they're now left with more questions than answers.

"He was never aggressive to nobody. We've known him since he's lived here and he was a real nice guy. I mean, I don't think he deserved to die like that."
    Last edited by EuTuCroquet?; 09-20-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Agreed. Usually, police aren't trained to "shoot to disable," though.

Considering they also had Tasers out and Sanchez was 15 or more feet away, I'm not sure why they would fire their weapons at all at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by creepcrusher View Post
    It seems a little extreme for a man holding a pipe. You'd think they'd at least not aim at fatal areas of the body if they're going to shoot.
    Last edited by EuTuCroquet?; 09-20-2017 at 08:19 PM.

My fear is that this will somehow become his fault. The more I read the sadder I become. I work with disabled young adults and I fear for them when they take the bus or subway home.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

This is so heartbreaking. The taser should have been sufficient to drop him if they were concerned. He might still have been alive if they'd only waited a few more seconds.

Wasn't there a very similar case years ago that involved a deaf man with a broom?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast