708 users online (117 members and 591 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Having cops arrive at your property should not mean a death sentence for anyone. It is getting absolutely absurd what is claimed as "deadly force" when used AGAINST law enforcement officers. It reminds me of the many cases where a person called the police for help and ended up being shot dead. I cannot imagine the fear and confusion in his final moments as he likely approached the officers to try and help the situation. Heartbreaking is an understatement.
    Hooks up
    we see the beauty within and cannot say no - Dave Eggers
    Maps:
    Alycia Yeoman - RIP
    Maricela Garcia - RIP

OkieChance is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST

Deaf Man Shot Dead as Neighbors Scream at Police "He Can't Hear You"

Police were investigating a *non-injury* hit and run. A witness *believed* the car in question went to that address.

Sanchez was more than 15 feet away from officers; he's also deaf, nonverbal and communicates by writing notes.

His neighbors said he usually carries a *stick* "to ward off stray dogs when he walked at night," and police initially ALSO reported Sanchez was carrying a *stick.*

"When asked why (officer) Barnes used a gun instead of Taser, (police capt. Bo) Mathews said he didn't know."

Wow.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mercu...homa-city/amp/

Additionally:

OKC Police relaunched its body camera program back in January. Not sure why these officers weren't using them.

I don't believe they're required to activate them when interviewing witnesses, reporting parties or victims. HOWEVER, they ARE required to activate them when detaining someone, or when using force, or while having voluntary contact with people in public places.

More guidelines on OKCPD body cam use:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.koco....ameras/8375505

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    That may be so however the officers were investigating a hit and run and Sanchez was on the porch of the house that the vehicle reportedly went to. At this point all the officers know is that Sanchez could be the driver of the hit and run vehicle approaching them with a weapon. JMO

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eaf/688213001/

Mathews said the officers were investigating a reported hit-and-run at around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. He said a witness told Lt. Matthew Lindsey the address where the vehicle responsible for the hit-and-run had gone, and that Sanchez was on the porch when Lindsey arrived.

He said Sanchez was holding a metal pipe that was approximately 2 feet long and that had a leather loop on one end for wrapping around one's wrist. Lindsey called for backup and Barnes arrived, at which point Sanchez left the porch and began to approach the officers, Mathews said.

MOO
    Last edited by OkieChance; 09-21-2017 at 06:27 PM.
    MOO

Quote Originally Posted by OkieChance View Post
    Agreed. Usually, police aren't trained to "shoot to disable," though.

Considering they also had Tasers out and Sanchez was 15 or more feet away, I'm not sure why they would fire their weapons at all at that point.
    Exactly, they were doing exactly what they were trained to do, and what they are going to continue to do, no matter what. Killing innocent people, handicapped, minorities, etc. That's the policy of all police in the US. To kill, not to disable.

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    Exactly, they were doing exactly what they were trained to do, and what they are going to continue to do, no matter what. Killing innocent people, handicapped, minorities, etc. That's the policy of all police in the US. To kill, not to disable.
    The rest of the world don't understand this. Police are trained in conflict resolution. With much better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    The rest of the world don't understand this. Police are trained in conflict resolution. With much better results.
    Seriously.

Our police don't even carry guns, unless they are specially trained units.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsobrien View Post
    Wasn't there a very similar case years ago that involved a deaf man with a broom?
    Link to the similar case I was referring to. It was a rake.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...other-officers

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    My fear is that this will somehow become his fault. The more I read the sadder I become. I work with disabled young adults and I fear for them when they take the bus or subway home.
    My adult son has disabilities,including hearing impairment- I understand completely

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
    This is disgusting. If they were using the taser on this man, there was no need to shoot at all. The taser is enough to physically disable someone for long enough to let the officers safely restrain them.

Thats before we even get onto the fact that the neighbour informed them that the victim was deaf.

I hope that this cop is convicted of murder, but I won't hold my breath!
    Did he drop pipe after being raised?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

OkieChance is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST

Deaf Man Shot Dead as Neighbors Scream at Police "He Can't Hear You"

Quote Originally Posted by gsue415 View Post
    Did he drop pipe after being raised?

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    He was deaf and nonverbal so he couldn't hear the commands to drop the stick.

IMO, he approached the police because he communicated by writing notes, as a MSM link farther up in this thread shows. Some media reports also mentioned he was mentally disabled.

Further, he had no history with the police, nor of arrests or prior criminal acts.

*He was trying to cooperate with police, imo.*

Police body cams were turned off for some reason (?!), and an officer fired his gun as his colleagues attempted to discharge a Taser.

Someone earlier (Jennifer17?) mentioned that police are trained in conflict resolution. Sadly, I believe they failed in this instance. I also feel the need to mention the obvious — police were dispatched to a less-affluent area of town and Mr Sanchez was a POC. (I just opened a can of worms, didn't I.)

It's all heartbreaking. Mr Sanchez didn't deserve to be killed.

This is O/T, but it reminds me a little bit of the Tulsa, Oklahoma shooting case in which officer Betty Shelby shot and killed Terence Crutcher. She drew and fired her weapon as her colleagues discharged their Tasers. She was tried, acquitted and then resigned.

MOO
    Last edited by OkieChance; 09-24-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    MOO

thinking of you, Mr. Sanchez, and those who knew and loved you, and those in your community and beyond who will never understand... sigh...
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead

Hundreds march, demand change after officer fatally shoots deaf man

http://www.koco.com/article/hundreds...f-man/12461750

A diverse group of people from the American Indian Movement, Black Lives Matter and the deaf community stood on the steps of City Hall in solidarity with Sanchez’s family, rallying for justice. An officer shot Sanchez, 35, Tuesday night after a hit-and-run accident involving his father.

http://kron4.com/2017/09/25/video-de...ficers-arrest/

n a statement released through their attorney, family members of Magdiel Sanchez called for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation and U.S. Department of Justice to open separate investigations into the shooting of their loved one.
    This is where Sky belongs!! Proud member of the Sky Crew & proud supporter of Solomon's quest to find his precious son! "I will always be his father. On this earth I don't see him, but in heaven we'll be together," Metalwala said.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-6-Nov-2011-19

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    This is the problem. The cops need better training. Chokeholds used to be part of training. Not anymore. Since when are the cops taught to kill when they shoot? I always thought they had to try to disarm the person they are shooting at. I guess I missed the memo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OkieChance View Post
    He was deaf and nonverbal so he couldn't hear the commands to drop the stick.

IMO, he approached the police because he communicated by writing notes, as a MSM link farther up in this thread shows. Some media reports also mentioned he was mentally disabled.

Further, he had no history with the police, nor of arrests or prior criminal acts.

*He was trying to cooperate with police, imo.*

Police body cams were turned off for some reason (?!), and an officer fired his gun as his colleagues attempted to discharge a Taser.

Someone earlier (Jennifer17?) mentioned that police are trained in conflict resolution. Sadly, I believe they failed in this instance. I also feel the need to mention the obvious — police were dispatched to a less-affluent area of town and Mr Sanchez was a POC. (I just opened a can of worms, didn't I.)

It's all heartbreaking. Mr Sanchez didn't deserve to be killed.

This is O/T, but it reminds me a little bit of the Tulsa, Oklahoma shooting case in which officer Betty Shelby shot and killed Terence Crutcher. She drew and fired her weapon as her colleagues discharged their Tasers. She was tried, acquitted and then resigned.

MOO
    Did you know after Betty Shelby resigned from her desk job at the Tulsa PD, she went to work for the Tulsa County Sheriff's Ofc, where she is again patrolling the streets with a gun?
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

Oklahoma City: Hundreds Protest Cop Killing of Deaf Neighbor

https://www.workers.org/2017/09/27/o...ampaign=buffer

During the week of Sept. 16-23, at least four people with physical or mental disabilities were known to be killed by U.S. police. (thenation.com, Sept. 22) A 2016 Ruderman Foundation study found that from one-third to one-half of the people killed by police from 2013 to 2015 had disabilities. The study commented, “Disability is the missing word in the media coverage of police violence.” (rudermanfoundation.org/)
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyWest View Post
    Did you know after Betty Shelby resigned from her desk job at the Tulsa PD, she went to work for the Tulsa County Sheriff's Ofc, where she is again patrolling the streets with a gun?
    Ugh. I'm grateful I don't live in Tulsa County anymore, tbh. I do bet, though, that Betty still catches a looooooot of crap from the community.

MOO
    MOO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3