1320 users online (226 members and 1094 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    People are saying that cops are out of control. But could it be that some of the public is out of control as well-which helps trigger these kinds of reactions?

I think there needs to be some context, for what often happens when officers go serve warrants at homes:

2 officers shot while serving warrant
    Sep 19, 2017
    The man who allegedly shot at the officers barricaded himself in his home for several hours before surrendering to the police, according to OSBI.
    http://www.theadanews.com/news/local...e396eab6b.html

Pomona Officer Shot Serving Search Warrant in San Gabriel: Police
    Sept 14, 2017
    A Pomona police SWAT officer was shot and wounded while serving a search warrant, police said early Tuesday.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/81803177-157.html

Texas SWAT officer shot while serving warrant, suspect in custody

AUSTIN*—*An Austin police SWAT officer was shot while executing a search warrant at a home in North Austin early Thursday, Austin police Chief Art Acevedo said. Another SWAT team member exchanged fire with the shooter, who surrendered to police within minutes of the shooting.

https://www.policeone.com/officer-sh...ct-in-custody/

None of this is to say that this victim did anything wrong. I am just saying that the situations are automatically tense and explosive and when someone approaches cops while holding a potential weapon, things can go sideways fast. JMO
    Last edited by katydid23; 09-21-2017 at 01:09 AM.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Just as there can be examples of officers being harmed there are many that are far too similar to this one; where someone who isn't a threat is killed. This was not a man running towards them with malice and being shot in the process, this is a possible threat being met with excessive force. The officer that shot had no justification to do so, especially with the taser about to be fired.

I think the thing that upsets me most is that if the shooting officer hadn't been on duty- or at least the one responding to backup. This would have probably ended much differently.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    People are saying that cops are out of control. But could it be that some of the public is out of control as well-which helps trigger these kinds of reactions?

I think there needs to be some context, for what often happens when officers go serve warrants at homes:

Sep 19, 2017
    The man who allegedly shot at the officers barricaded himself in his home for several hours before surrendering to the police, according to OSBI.

Sept 14, 2017
    A Pomona police SWAT officer was shot and wounded while serving a search warrant, police said early Tuesday.

AUSTIN*—*An Austin police SWAT officer was shot while executing a search warrant at a home in North Austin early Thursday, Austin police Chief Art Acevedo said. Another SWAT team member exchanged fire with the shooter, who surrendered to police within minutes of the shooting.

None of this is to say that this victim did anything wrong. I am just saying that the situations are automatically tense and explosive and when someone approaches cops while holding a potential weapon, things can go sideways fast. JMO
    So, they felt their lives were in danger by a man with a weapon that he uses to scare dogs away? Two fully armed men were threatened by a man walking toward them with a pipe? What did they think that he was going to do? Do a Bruce Lee move and hit both of their guns out of their hands in a lightning move?

You can't keep defending this forever. I felt threatened by a woman in pyjamas wanting to speak to me. So I killed her.

So sad and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    So, they felt their lives were in danger by a man with a weapon that he uses to scare dogs away? Two fully armed men were threatened by a man walking toward them with a pipe? What did they think that he was going to do? Do a Bruce Lee move and hit both of their guns out of their hands in a lightning move?

You can't keep defending this forever. I felt threatened by a woman in pyjamas wanting to speak to me. So I killed her.
    Perhaps those who want to murder people should join the police force. You can kill anyone you like as long as you give the explanation that you 'felt threatened'.

OkieChance is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST

Deaf Man Shot Dead as Neighbors Scream at Police "He Can't Hear You"

For context, police weren't serving a warrant in this case. There also was no police standoff and no SWAT involvement. Apples =/= oranges, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post

Sep 19, 2017

Sept 14, 2017

MOO
    Last edited by OkieChance; 09-21-2017 at 07:06 AM.
    MOO

I'm sorry but I am deathly afraid of Police officers. What kind of **** is this? I hope this is investigated as homicide.
    The body of an unknown man washed up on Punaluu Beach in 1982. He was wearing an orange Bayley Exposure Suit, purchased from Tacoma, WA.
    His identity today is a mystery, Do you know who Barnacle Bill is?

They had already tased him, for heaven's sake.

This breaks my heart. Mr. Sanchez did not deserve this. Wasn't the taser sufficient? This did NOT need to happen.
    MOO, IMO, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    This breaks my heart. Mr. Sanchez did not deserve this. Wasn't the taser sufficient? This did NOT need to happen.
    http://newsok.com/deaf-man-shot-kill...rticle/5564788

Mathews said Lindsey had a Taser drawn and Barnes had a handgun pointed at Sanchez as they ordered him to drop the pipe. Witnesses at the scene were yelling at the officers that Sanchez was deaf, but Mathews said it was unknown if the officers heard them.

Both officers fired their weapons after Sanchez began to approach them. Mathews said Sanchez was about 15 feet away from the officers when he was shot. Witnesses said the Taser deployed at the same time Sanchez was hit by the gunfire." RBBM

Not sure if he was razed then shot or concurrent but witnesses report both happening at the same time. How dark was the area? Could Mr. Sanchez have seen they had weapons drawn?

Immediate non-compliance as a justification for shooting seems to be on the rise. Sadly, many people have lags in response time fo a variety of reasons.

Still just shaking my head.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

Quote Originally Posted by OkieChance View Post
    For context, police weren't serving a warrant in this case. There also was no police standoff and no SWAT involvement. Apples =/= oranges, imo. MOO
    That may be so however the officers were investigating a hit and run and Sanchez was on the porch of the house that the vehicle reportedly went to. At this point all the officers know is that Sanchez could be the driver of the hit and run vehicle approaching them with a weapon. JMO

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...eaf/688213001/

Mathews said the officers were investigating a reported hit-and-run at around 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. He said a witness told Lt. Matthew Lindsey the address where the vehicle responsible for the hit-and-run had gone, and that Sanchez was on the porch when Lindsey arrived.

He said Sanchez was holding a metal pipe that was approximately 2 feet long and that had a leather loop on one end for wrapping around one's wrist. Lindsey called for backup and Barnes arrived, at which point Sanchez left the porch and began to approach the officers, Mathews said.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    That may be so however the officers were investigating a hit and run and Sanchez was on the porch of the house that the vehicle reportedly went to. At this point all the officers know is that Sanchez could be the driver of the hit and run vehicle approaching them with a weapon. JMO
    RSBM

Hit and run. A pipe, 15 feet away from 2 armed men. Neighbors yelling that the man can't hear their commands. I'm sorry but the taser would/should have been enough. This man did not have to die because of a trigger-happy cop.
    MOO, IMO, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder View Post
    RSBM

Hit and run. A pipe, 15 feet away from 2 armed men. Neighbors yelling that the man can't hear their commands. I'm sorry but the taser would/should have been enough. This man did not have to die because of a trigger-happy cop.
    He was 15 feet away and approaching from what I understand. If there are guns drawn on me I would, at the very least, stop in my tracks.

You're right this man didn't have to die. Had dad not committed a hit and run, I have no doubt his son would still be alive.

I am so saddened that folks are defending the shooter on this one. This situation is not analogous to any of those upthread, period.

The ripples of this will touch many communities and lives. So tragic.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdancer View Post
    Perhaps those who want to murder people should join the police force. You can kill anyone you like as long as you give the explanation that you 'felt threatened'.
    Some people do join LE for that reason - or at least due to aggressive and authoritarian personalities (and add superiority complexes into the mix). I'm sorry, I'm not saying or implying that all cops are bad or have psychological problems, but I have yet to meet one that didn't have an us vs them mentality - and that includes my ex's. My first husband wasn't a cop when we met but once he was on a force his personality changed fast. My second threatened to kill me repeatedly from the time I was seven months pregnant, and when our child was six months old he came into the kitchen where I was decorating Christmas cookies and put his service revolver against the side of my head and repeated the threat. I told him to do it because my family would make sure it was the last thing he ever did. At the time I didn't even know that was considered domestic abuse. Again all LE isn't warped, the threat of them being injured or killed in the line of duty has always been high, and they're not all like my ex's. But something is seriously wrong and it's just getting worse. This can't be allowed to continue. And no I have no faith in the criminal justice system. Aside from the basic problems with the justice system, it seems like a no brainer that people might be reluctant to side against LE out of fear for their own safety. But, again, it can not be allowed to continue.
    All comments IMHO, etc etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast