808 users online (101 members and 707 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    I wanted to bring this forward.
    Could this be what it is saying:

Louis Sodder
    I Love (his) brother Frankie
    (He has) lili (little) boys
    A90132 (partial SSN or a visa number?)
    This could be someone who knows English only as a second language, and doesn't know it well. What seems to be a cryptic message, could actually be someone with a language barrier.
    Maybe it is Lily's Boys or Lili's Boys.

Was the A90132 handwritten? Or stamped on the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    Maybe it is Lily's Boys or Lili's Boys.

Was the A90132 handwritten? Or stamped on the photo?
    Never realized it but this is a last name Lili and Lily. Both are first names, too. Frankie Lane had a song Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Just tossing some more out -

I love brother Frankie and Lili's boys. I love Frank Lili's boys.

And is it sure that the "A" is an A? Otherwise it could be a date.

Or "A" is for About - About September 1st 1932. About 9th of January 1932. Etc.

(1) Mom doesn't have the original photo. She only has a copy, so the quality is not terrific. The original was much clearer. She recalls seeing casement windows in the background of the photo.

(2) She recalls the handwriting on the back of the photo differently than what was in the Bragg book. Since she doesn't have the original, she can't confirm this.) She recalls the first two lines the same as reported, but the last two as:

lilil boys (they always thought this was meant to be slang for "little boys")
    Age 32 or 35
    This quote by Grandaughter is from the other thread... just posting it here incase anyone overlooked it.

One thing that I have been puzzling over, is the type of photo. It is hard to tell from the copy on here. But does it appear to be a formal, posed photo or a portion of an informal snapshot?
    If it was a formal photo, there may have been watermarks on the photo paper that might have held a clue as to where it came from.
    During that time period, most of the informal snapshots I have seen would have the date of processing, printed along the edge.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Hi all. didn't want you to think we'd forgotten about you. Mom has rounded up a bunch of articles and photos, including photos of two of Papa's brothers in Italy, and photos of my grandparents when they were about the age that the missing children would be today. My brother is creating a webpage so I can post this information for you to access.

The photo reported to be Louis appeared to be a snapshot. Mom recalls seeing a casement window in the background of the original that Mama and Papa received. She and Dad looked for buildings with casement windows when they went to Kentucky, and that's why she recalls this detail.

Sorry I haven't been able to post much. I've been covered up at work. I'll try to post more as soon as possible.

Granddaughter,

That is great news about the website! Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Granddaughter
    Hi all. didn't want you to think we'd forgotten about you. Mom has rounded up a bunch of articles and photos, including photos of two of Papa's brothers in Italy, and photos of my grandparents when they were about the age that the missing children would be today. My brother is creating a webpage so I can post this information for you to access.

The photo reported to be Louis appeared to be a snapshot. Mom recalls seeing a casement window in the background of the original that Mama and Papa received. She and Dad looked for buildings with casement windows when they went to Kentucky, and that's why she recalls this detail.

Sorry I haven't been able to post much. I've been covered up at work. I'll try to post more as soon as possible.
    Retired 08/03/03

The website is great news. If you need any help with anything, just let us know.

How aggravating is it...Mothman got a movie with Richard Gere, and we're having trouble getting the kids a mention in the newspaper.

Thank you for the welcomes. I have been searching for an answer to Fox1950's question about how long postal codes have been in use in Italy. I have found information that they joined the United Postal Union (UPU) in 1875 and have a few email inquiries to two websites to see if I can get an answer. Meanwhile, of interest, I found the following:

In mysterview's quote below, there is a link (.sicilia.indettaglio.it). I looked up the zip code 90135 and a place called "A." is at the very top of the list. http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/ca...=%25&Cap=90135.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Inquisitive T, thanks so much for the info. And welcome to WS!

Shadowangel, when I did a regular google of zip code+ 90135, I also came up with hits in Palermo and also one in Big City, Calif. ( http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/documents/th200.pdf address is on pg. 5 of the pdf) Whoops, scratch that, it is a sample form, and probably a bogus address.
    Interestingly enough 90132 also shows up as a zip code in Palermo. I didn't find anything for 90132 in the US.
    Here is the link to research Italian zip codes
    http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/ca...re/motore.html

I also did a check on both numbers at the USPS and no hits on either number. I only saw that in the Google search.
    Not sure what "Name" represents. Wondering if this is a street name? Under "Kind", "Cortile" is listed, and this translates to courtyard. I think it reinforces the idea that the wording behind the picture could represent a location, in this case, a street in Palermo. I've done other research on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palermo#History) on Palermo, and directly quoting:
    The importance of Palermo got another boost when Sicily became (1947) an autonomous region with extended self-rule. But any improvement was thwarted by the rising power of the Mafia, which still today is a dramatic feature of the city, as well as the whole Southern Italy.
    I do not mean any disrespect to the Sodder family bringing up the mafia reference, but it lends to the theory some have visited on this website about mafia involvement. Just following a train of thought here.

I was playing around with the message from the back of the Louis photo. Granddaughter had posted that her Mom recalled the one line as being "age 32 or 35" instead of A90132 or 35.

The "A" is self-evident...And, in some European countries, "9" is written with a "tail" and would resemble a lower-case "g". I had a harder time getting "01" to resemble an "e", but without seeing the original writing, who can say? What I would give to see the back of that photo...

Jennie-Does your Mom know if a copy was ever made of the writing? Also, does she know what may have become of the device she found in the yard?

Now I'm confused ... does the writing say "32 or 35" verbatim, or does it say either "32" or "35"?

(Delurking. Hi. )

You're not confused...I've been working it from both angles.

Perhaps lili or ilil are partical names for something. Like for example: Funicello-someone could shorten it to cello. Or Capriani could be shortened to iani boys or riani boys. Maybe this was a group of "boys" and their title was shortened to "Ilil" boys or lili rather than writing out the whole name. Sounds Itilian especially since the one ends with an I.

FYI, I e-mailed the Human Trafficking division of INTERPOL, to see what they suggest we might do as far as researching any possible activity in Italy. They were quite responsive when I asked some questions in relation to Sharon Marshall, more responsive than several of the PDs I've tried dealing with here in the States.

Thank you InquistiveT. Your posts have been very informative and helped me search the Italian sites. Keep Going! Perhaps the children are still not able to reveal what happened to them. I wonder if down thru the years there has been many hang up calls expecially during Mr. & Mrs. Sodder's lifetime. Jennie, does you family still have the magazine that your grandparents thought they saw a picture of Betty in? Can't wait to see your website. Also does Sylvia remember if they appeared to be only one "handwriting" on the picture or did there appear to be more than one person's writing?

Also InquistiveT- It appears Lili is an Italian last name.
    Last edited by fox1950; 01-22-2006 at 05:53 PM.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast