FL - Yanelly 'Nelly' Zoller, 4, dies reaching into her grandmother's purse, Sept 2017

PastTense

Reaction score
TAMPA — One day last week, 4-year-old Yanelly Zoller reached into her grandmother's purse looking for candy, her father says.

Instead, she found a gun. She accidently pulled the trigger and was shot in the chest.

Shane Zoller, 22, is the father of three children: one living, another on the way and the little girl he will bury today.

"She just wanted some damn candy," Zoller said Wednesday..

http://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa-girl-4-dies-of-gunshot-reaching-for-candy/2338224

504449059_20037074_8col.jpg

http://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa-girl-4-dies-of-gunshot-reaching-for-candy/2338224

attachment.php

Jeez. A loaded gun in her purse.

awww no. That is so heart breaking. :rose:

what happened to the common sense of not keeping the damn thing loaded when children were near?

AW DAMN!!! WTF a loaded gun around children, in her purse. What was this woman thinking! Another innocent life ended! WOW! I just don't know what to say :(

This could've been VERY easily prevented. Poor girl.

This is why strict rules on gun ownership are required.

Wowwwww... how terribly sad :tears:

I most certainly bet the grandma will have some amount of deep regret, for the rest of her time alive.

what happened to the common sense of not keeping the damn thing loaded when children were near?
Common sense is completely lacking in our culture today.

Something has to be done. These morons have to start being tossed in prison to rot and it might be enough of a deterrent to prevent at least a handful of similar tragedies.

This girl died for absolutely nothing. Nothing will be done of course and then it's on to the next senseless tragedy....and then the one after that.....

Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.

Lots of people do that. People with conceal carry licenses. When I ask about it they say they have to access it quickly. But usually they have it on their hip or whatever.

I think people are really convinced that having a loaded gun at hand is safer than not. And they mistrust the stats that say it's the opposite.

I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.

Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.

Some governments can and have done.

Lots of people do that. People with conceal carry licenses. When I ask about it they say they have to access it quickly. But usually they have it on their hip or whatever.

I think people are really convinced that having a loaded gun at hand is safer than not. And they mistrust the stats that say it's the opposite.

I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.

Really?

My goodness, what is he so afraid of?

I'm all for gun rights, and if this grandma was legally carrying, I just feel very badly for her. There's no point in carrying an unloaded gun for protection, but she should have made sure the purse was kept out of reach of the child. She'll be paying for this emotionally for the rest of her life :(. RIP, little one.

While posters keep talking about Grandma, and while it is true she is a Grandma--actually it looks like Christie Zoller is only 41 years old (Shane, her son, is 22):
http://www.whitepages.com/name/Christie-Zoller/Tampa-FL

Not meaning to be snarky, but "only" 41? I owned my first firearm before I was 21, and wasn't much older than her when my first grandchild arrived. She's a grown adult, as is her son. Rule 1: When you have kids in the house you treat that firearm as if it's a live rattlesnake living in your house. (You keep it out of reach of little hands.) Rule #1: There's no such thing as an unloaded firearm. They are both number one because they are both equally as important. Especially if you have children or grandchildren. We are all fallible, as humans, but this child, who was only four, is gone now. Her grandmother will have to live with her negligence for the rest of her life. Not something I'd want to bear.

It could be 1350 and this a story about accidental impalement on a sword. It has less to do with the weapon and everything to do with ignorance. The child's ignorance of what to do when confronted with the weapon, and the woman's ignorance for allowing it within easy reach of a child and forgetting to have the safety on. If we all took better care of each other as a community and a society we wouldn't need a gun debate in the first place.

It could be 1350 and this a story about accidental impalement on a sword. It has less to do with the weapon and everything to do with ignorance. The child's ignorance of what to do when confronted with the weapon, and the woman's ignorance for allowing it within easy reach of a child and forgetting to have the safety on. If we all took better care of each other as a community and a society we wouldn't need a gun debate in the first place.

At four we should never expect a child to act in a certain manner. They are children. She wanted a piece of candy. My grandchildren are not permitted past a certain point on the farm. Do I trust they'll never stray? No. They are children. So I am constantly double checking them out the windows when they're outdoors playing. That purse/gun should have been out of reach, period.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back