1191 users online (187 members and 1004 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    Lots of people do that. People with conceal carry licenses. When I ask about it they say they have to access it quickly. But usually they have it on their hip or whatever.

I think people are really convinced that having a loaded gun at hand is safer than not. And they mistrust the stats that say it's the opposite.

I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.
    Really?

Lots of people do that. People with conceal carry licenses. When I ask about it they say they have to access it quickly. But usually they have it on their hip or whatever.

I think people are really convinced that having a loaded gun at hand is safer than not. And they mistrust the stats that say it's the opposite.

I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.
    My goodness, what is he so afraid of?

I'm all for gun rights, and if this grandma was legally carrying, I just feel very badly for her. There's no point in carrying an unloaded gun for protection, but she should have made sure the purse was kept out of reach of the child. She'll be paying for this emotionally for the rest of her life . RIP, little one.

Quote Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
    While posters keep talking about Grandma, and while it is true she is a Grandma--actually it looks like Christie Zoller is only 41 years old (Shane, her son, is 22):
    http://www.whitepages.com/name/Christie-Zoller/Tampa-FL
    Not meaning to be snarky, but "only" 41? I owned my first firearm before I was 21, and wasn't much older than her when my first grandchild arrived. She's a grown adult, as is her son. Rule 1: When you have kids in the house you treat that firearm as if it's a live rattlesnake living in your house. (You keep it out of reach of little hands.) Rule #1: There's no such thing as an unloaded firearm. They are both number one because they are both equally as important. Especially if you have children or grandchildren. We are all fallible, as humans, but this child, who was only four, is gone now. Her grandmother will have to live with her negligence for the rest of her life. Not something I'd want to bear.
    Let me live, so when it's time to die, even the Reaper cries. . . ~ RHCP

(Unless there's a link, it's just a my own 2˘.)

It could be 1350 and this a story about accidental impalement on a sword. It has less to do with the weapon and everything to do with ignorance. The child's ignorance of what to do when confronted with the weapon, and the woman's ignorance for allowing it within easy reach of a child and forgetting to have the safety on. If we all took better care of each other as a community and a society we wouldn't need a gun debate in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vail View Post
    It could be 1350 and this a story about accidental impalement on a sword. It has less to do with the weapon and everything to do with ignorance. The child's ignorance of what to do when confronted with the weapon, and the woman's ignorance for allowing it within easy reach of a child and forgetting to have the safety on. If we all took better care of each other as a community and a society we wouldn't need a gun debate in the first place.
    At four we should never expect a child to act in a certain manner. They are children. She wanted a piece of candy. My grandchildren are not permitted past a certain point on the farm. Do I trust they'll never stray? No. They are children. So I am constantly double checking them out the windows when they're outdoors playing. That purse/gun should have been out of reach, period.
    Let me live, so when it's time to die, even the Reaper cries. . . ~ RHCP

(Unless there's a link, it's just a my own 2˘.)

Wow, that's crazy. It doesn't matter how much he's trained his kids, they're still juveniles whose brains aren't fully developed. All kinds of bad things could happen. Someone should report him to Dept. of Children's Services.

I can't fathom anyone keeping a loaded gun around at all times because "they need to get to it quickly". Where do they live? Afghanistan?
    All statements are my opinion only.

This wasn't a grandchild that visited once in a while. She spent tons of time there. I just don't see why there wasn't precautions taken to prevent this.

Her gun should have had at least 3 safeties

1. The safety button on the gun itself and utilizing the safety feature, it's there for a reason.

2. The safety of disarming and placing the gun in a gun safe or safe place away from curious hands while children are present or at other family members/friends homes, and locking gun in the glove box of the vehicle and or trunk of the car.

3. Common sense and using common sense.

Godspeed, Yanelly

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl12 View Post
    Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
    Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
    Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.
    Actually they can do exactly that. 200 plus countries do it successfully. This type of thing only happens in one major country in the world. Just one. Nowhere else.
    Last edited by KaaBoom; 09-23-2017 at 08:55 PM.

I understand she is probably heartbroken but that just doesn't seem like enough this time.
    The cases where a kid is visiting and they NEVER have kids around... I can grasp.
    This one though.... this little girl practically LIVED there.
    I simply don't understand being this careless.
    Maybe there is some back story that would make it make sense....
    Maybe she had just returned from the range and didn't expect the child to be there. Something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    Some governments can and have done.
    If I may ask... the post your were replying to was....

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl12 View Post
    Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
    Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
    Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.
    Are you saying some governments have legislated against stupidity or
    some governments have legislated against carrying a loaded gun?

Rest in Peace sweet girl.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7964121.html

The dead girl’s mother Lizette Hernandez, who lives apart from Shane Zoller, is seeking full-time custody of her 19-month-old son.

“I don’t trust him with my child,” Ms Hernandez said. “I already lost one child. I don’t need to lose another.”

Ms Hernandez, who is 28 weeks pregnant, is also disputing the facts surrounding Nelly’s death. “First he told me that she was shot during a drive-by,” she said.

“Then he told me the gun was on the table… He’s told me too many versions of the story. I honestly don’t know what happened to my child.”
    MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan

I an surprised anyone would have a gun I their purse either without the safety on or it was a model such as some revolvers that do not have a safety. In in order for it to go off accidentally it had to have had a hair trigger (one that requires less than 6 pounds of pressure).

I raised a child with loaded guns in the home but she was thought at as soon as she could walk that they were dangerous and required respect. She grew up knowing it was the person that caused gun accidents not the gun. However, I wouldn’t have a loaded gun within a mile of the daughter I am raising now. She has issues that prevent her from comprehending the dangers of most situations.

I believe any good parent (or parental figure) should address gun safety with their children right along with please and thank you and they can tell which children can behave safely. Guns in purses are not a good idea on any front. It isn’t good for the gun or the owner. The gun gets scratched and gets foreign objects and debris in the barrel and working parts. All it takes is an ink pen, pencil, lollipop stick or other item to get caught in the trigger area and the wrong movement can cause disaster. Holsters are made to hold guns not purses. Protect your investment, your life and your family properly store your guns and keep the safety on.
    Last edited by Grouchymom; 09-24-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Another important thing to teach children at a very young age is they do not get into anyone's purse! If they want something that they think is in the purse, they go ask the owner.

It is not safe for a child to take the purse to the owner as no one knows what is in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast