1256 users online (258 members and 998 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meryl12 View Post
    Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
    Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
    Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.
    But they can punish criminal negligence. Keeping a weapon in that manner around a four year old child is criminal negligence. Lock her up!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    I have a colleague who has loaded guns all over the house. And his office. And on him. And he has two kids. Says they're well trained. He throws a gun in their laps and they know how to take it apart and see if it's loaded. It's freaky.
    I had a co worker who is the same way. I got frightened going over to his house for a weapons "show and tell". A lot of weapons were being passed around casually with a lot of distracting conversations going on.

Yes, his teenagers were well trained, and so was his wife. They knew a lot of trivia about calibres, models etc etc. But what scared me was how casual they were with the weapons. There are two types of people most prone to have accidental discharges:

A. those who are not familiar with weapons.
    B. those so familiar with weapons that they have lost respect for them.

They were in the "B" category.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 09-25-2017 at 10:49 AM.

And another one. Kids just have to keep dying, because guns are just so freaking cool for adults to own. You can always just have another kid if one dies, but you can't give up your guns. This is a very weird society we live in, where guns are more important than kid's lives.

Police investigating shooting death of 1-year-old girl in northern Lawrence as ‘accidental’

A 1-year-old girl was killed in what is believed to be an accidental shooting Friday morning in Lawrence, police say.

The shooting was reported shortly after 10:30 a.m. at a home in the 600 block of North Michigan Street.

First responders attempted life-saving measures, but the child was unable to be revived and was declared dead at the scene, Lawrence police Sgt. Amy Rhoads said, in a news release.
    Police investigating shooting death of 1-year-old girl in northern Lawrence as ‘accidental’

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    And another one. Kids just have to keep dying, because guns are just so freaking cool for adults to own. You can always just have another kid if one dies, but you can't give up your guns. This is a very weird society we live in, where guns are more important than kid's lives.

BBM I have never been able to wrap my head around this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post
    Another important thing to teach children at a very young age is they do not get into anyone's purse! If they want something that they think is in the purse, they go ask the owner.

It is not safe for a child to take the purse to the owner as no one knows what is in it.
    Yes, it's important to teach children this. However, it's the responsibility of the gun owner to ensure their weapon is secure and out of the hands of little ones. Period. Yanelly was an innocent four year old child who should be alive and laughing today.
    "I believe it's time to start Phase 2 of my life: feeding pigeons...braless in the park...while solving old murder cases."
    ~ Maya DiMeo
    Speechless (TV Series)
    8 March 2017

Cruel it may be, but I hope the grandmother is charged with some sort of negligence.

The problem was not having a loaded gun near a child.

The problem was the irresponsible person who did not have it properly contained and most likely the poor child had not been trained on gun safety. Many women carry in their purse. If a safety is ON, the gun WILL NOT FIRE. In addition, if grandma chose her purse as the place to carry a weapon, the child should have been properly trained that grandma's purse is off limits.

My father was gunsmith. All of his children and grands, etc. knew gun safety from a very young age.

Quote Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
    No one who is a gun advocate has EVER said that. We advocate for gun safety.

Gun safety? The kid was 4, looking for candy.

Have we stooped so low to blaming 4 year old victims?

Quote Originally Posted by Keane View Post

Well, exactly. I don't know how much gun safety one can teach to a 4 year old anyway. And I would think that gun safety would suggest not to keep loaded weapon within a reach of a small child to begin with.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Well, exactly. I don't know how much gun safety one can teach to a 4 year old anyway. And I would think that gun safety would suggest not to keep loaded weapon within a reach of a small child to begin with.
    Agreed.

The best method of gun safety around children is not to have a gun in the house with them at all. If you need one for hunting, keep it in a locked cabinet at all times except for when you take it hunting.

We have WSers who are gun owners and those who are not, so please post respectfully to ALL and forego the blatant generalizations and characterizations.

Cruel it may be, but I hope the grandmother is charged with some sort of negligence.
    I agree. And it's not cruel it's how the law should be. If she had left her granddaughter in a hot car people would expect her to be charged.

Nowhere in my statement did I blame the child.

Quote Originally Posted by caribou_birdie View Post
    We, Goose, we.

Before anyone freaks out, the "We, Goose" quote is from Top Gun. I'm not calling anyone names.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryl12 View Post
    Grandma kept a loaded gun in her purse, even when small children were around. It was a stupid thing to do.
    Nothing will be done, because nothing can be done about it.
    Governments cannot legislate against stupidity.
    So we just... throw our hands up and mourn the babies I guess? No, there are plenty of ways to prevent this, starting first and foremost with hitting irresponsible gun owners in the very pocketbook that child reached into. Hefty fines if an owner's weapon is the object that takes a life, be it on purpose or on accident. If it wasn't secured, it is the fault of the gun owner, and they should be held financially responsible, if not criminally so. All, JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vail View Post
    It could be 1350 and this a story about accidental impalement on a sword. It has less to do with the weapon and everything to do with ignorance. The child's ignorance of what to do when confronted with the weapon, and the woman's ignorance for allowing it within easy reach of a child and forgetting to have the safety on. If we all took better care of each other as a community and a society we wouldn't need a gun debate in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post
    Another important thing to teach children at a very young age is they do not get into anyone's purse! If they want something that they think is in the purse, they go ask the owner.

It is not safe for a child to take the purse to the owner as no one knows what is in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by caribou_birdie View Post
    You may not have, but the two posts quoted above yours are definitely bordering on victim blaming a 4 year old looking for candy.

Again, all JMO.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast