1026 users online (184 members and 842 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    According to NamUs the location was 300 Newmarket St. in Philadelphia. Searching that address on google maps came up nothing. It redirects to 300 Market st, which is in a downtown urban area. I was able to find a New Market st also located in a urban area. The only thing was the street addresses ranged only from 900-1000's, but there was a vacant lot in between the otherwise connected buildings/houses.
    great find.. wish there was more..this is just so strange

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Claireishere View Post
    http://pennsylvaniamissing.com/taorminapete.html


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oh wow this guy you found Claireshere seems good.. he was from closer in the area.. maybe?

    Pietro "Pete" Taormina
    Missing since December 1, 1956 from Norristown, Montgomery County

    Vital Statistics
    Date of Birth: April 26, 1903
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 53
    Estimated Height: 5'3" to 5'6"
    Estimated Weight: 140 lbs
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Brown
    AKA: Peter Taormina, Pete
    Medical: had been diagnosed with diabetes
    Known Clothing at Time of Disappearance: blue topcoat, maroon shirt, black shoes.

    Case Details
    Born in Sciacca, Sicily, Italy, Pete Taormina was 2 years old when he and his family emigrated to the United States on October 16, 1905, eventually settling into a home on Walnut Street in the Borough of Norristown, Montgomery County.

    Little is known today about Pete today. *What we do know is based on memories and stories, passed down through the years. *His whereabouts after his disappearance are a family mystery that has never been solved.
    Pete never married or had children. *He lived his entire life in Norristown. *It is unknown if he had a job or trade or if he served in the military. *It is also unknown if he had a drivers license but he had no car at the time of his disappearance

    .
    The one newspaper article about his disappearance stated that he had an injured leg that kept him from being able to walking very far. *Family information is that he had issues with a leg and was subsequently diagnosed with diabetes. *Pete feared that his leg might have to be amputated and the family felt that he was depressed and possibly suicidal because of this. *The news article also stated that he may have been heading to Florida but it is unknown what member of the family provided that information.

    Norristown Police Department took the missing persons report. *Unfortunately, missing persons reports are destroyed after ten years so whatever additional information may have been documented has been lost forever.

    140_Taormina,_Pete[1].jpg100_Taormina,_Pete_new_article[1].jpg

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    According to NamUs the location was 300 Newmarket St. in Philadelphia. Searching that address on google maps came up nothing. It redirects to 300 Market st, which is in a downtown urban area. I was able to find a New Market st also located in a urban area. The only thing was the street addresses ranged only from 900-1000's, but there was a vacant lot in between the otherwise connected buildings/houses.
    your right... here is the link https://www.redfin.com/PA/Philadelph.../home/67973731

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    279

    300 New Market Street, Nicholas Miller and his garden
    http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p245801coll13/id/213
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CCJD; 12-05-2017 at 08:41 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    279

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer (You can actually see the real buildings and lots with cars in this one)

    In historical aerial maps(link above) I found New Market street..and the area where Vine and Front are.. the street right in the middle of them is New Market street..

    It appears Front St runs under the Elevated railroad tracks. New Market ended at Vine and ran up to Germantown..Vine is right on the top of the park called Franklin Square which is next to the Benjamin Franklin Bridge.

    You can see the streets written down in the colored map.. in the colored map below, the street to the right of where there is a letter N is New Market.. in the last map you can see the highway built already and you see the letter N but that Block that would be New Market is now covered by the Highway I hope I have explained it correctly


    this map is the link to colored map from 1967/1970
    https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons...1967_24000.jpg

    The reason we cannot find 300New Market street now is because that is where the High Way runs through now.. This map from 1987 now shows in Purple the highway.
    https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/img4/ht_icons...1967_24000.jpg

    I believe they were demolishing those buildings to build the highway. So either our Old guy was a homeless person and died alone or someone dumped there is what I am guessing.. either way its sad.
    Last edited by madamx; 12-05-2017 at 09:58 PM.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by CCJD View Post

    New Market Street, circa 1942
    https://www.philageohistory.org/tiles/viewer/
    omg CCJD...I have been trying to find the maps and wrote up the best way I could to explain everything and after I posted it I look up realized you amazingly and simply found it!!! this is super!!.. CCJD.. did I even get New Market correct on the map? hehe
    Last edited by madamx; 12-05-2017 at 09:28 PM.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by CCJD View Post

    300 New Market Street, Nicholas Miller and his garden
    http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p245801coll13/id/213
    omg wait.. this is some guy Nicolas Miller in his Garden at 300 New Market!.. omg your amazing.. so what are the chances the UID is Mr Miller..... I just had a crazy thought.. I just noticed he has cats in his house and photo with him.. He prob had no family and lived with his cats and this is who was found and that is why no one ever reported him missing.. oh he was a little old cat man.. oh this is sad...oh and Fyi CCJD you rock super great find!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by madamx; 12-05-2017 at 09:33 PM.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    279
    I've done quite a bit of reading about the neighborhood and what happened. In a nutshell, Route 95 goes right through where 300 New Market Street once existed. This link probably gives a better summation of the area's demise than I could. An interesting read: https://hiddencityphila.org/2016/02/...of-callowhill/

  10. #25
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    974
    Such a sad story


  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by madamx View Post
    omg wait.. this is some guy Nicolas Miller in his Garden at 300 New Market!.. omg your amazing.. so what are the chances the UID is Mr Miller..... I just had a crazy thought.. I just noticed he has cats in his house and photo with him.. He prob had no family and lived with his cats and this is who was found and that is why no one ever reported him missing.. oh he was a little old cat man.. oh this is sad...oh and Fyi CCJD you rock super great find!!!!!!!!!
    I had the same thought when I first saw the picture Madamx! What if he was last of the family line with no known relatives. One thing I did notice was there seems to be a child's face behind him. It's pretty eerie!

    Quote Originally Posted by CCJD View Post

    300 New Market Street, Nicholas Miller and his garden
    http://digital.library.temple.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p245801coll13/id/213
    Is a circa/time frame known for the photo CCJD? I found two Nicholas Miller's buried in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. One died in 1910 and the other died in 1912. Both were in their 50's.
    Who Killed Bryan Smith?




    Say hello 2 heaven Chris Cornell

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    I had the same thought when I first saw the picture Madamx! What if he was last of the family line with no known relatives. One thing I did notice was there seems to be a child's face behind him. It's pretty eerie!



    Is a circa/time frame known for the photo CCJD? I found two Nicholas Miller's buried in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania. One died in 1910 and the other died in 1912. Both were in their 50's.
    The little face behind Mr Miller's shoulder is actually another cat (noted on the website the pic came from).

    The photos of the Mr Miller and/or 300 New Market St are dated 7/21/1941.


    Another view.
    http://digital.library.temple.edu/cd...1coll13/id/214
    Attached Images Attached Images

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by CCJD View Post
    The little face behind Mr Miller's shoulder is actually another cat (noted on the website the pic came from).

    The photos of the Mr Miller and/or 300 New Market St are dated 7/21/1941.


    Another view.
    http://digital.library.temple.edu/cd...1coll13/id/214
    I searched for Nicholas Miller's in Pennsylvania after 1941 and I couldn't find anyone that could be consistent with this Nicholas. They either were buried on the other side of the state (5 + hours away) or had a spouse (which this one could have, but we don't know). Only NM's in Philadelphia county died in 1910's. Of course this Nick could have been buried in an undocumented cemetery.

    The house was vacant in mid-50's and Mr. Miller lived there in 1941, 10-15ish years earlier. I am still curious to the idea that this doe could be Mr. Miller. How old do you guys think he appears to be in the picture? Our doe is under 70.
    Who Killed Bryan Smith?




    Say hello 2 heaven Chris Cornell

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by aThousandYearsWide View Post
    I searched for Nicholas Miller's in Pennsylvania after 1941 and I couldn't find anyone that could be consistent with this Nicholas. They either were buried on the other side of the state (5 + hours away) or had a spouse (which this one could have, but we don't know). Only NM's in Philadelphia county died in 1910's. Of course this Nick could have been buried in an undocumented cemetery.

    The house was vacant in mid-50's and Mr. Miller lived there in 1941, 10-15ish years earlier. I am still curious to the idea that this doe could be Mr. Miller. How old do you guys think he appears to be in the picture? Our doe is under 70.
    aThousandYearsWide I seriously have been thinking that same thing!! The elderly man they found is Mr Miller. If you look closely at the photo it does look like he is wearing glasses. The UID was found with glasses and an ID from 1955 and a stamp from 1958.. I am thinking he probably died not long after 1958..Maybe the Nicholas Miller you found from 1912 could be his father?
    In the photo Mr Miller looks to me to be in his mid to late 40s or maybe 50. People always look older in vintage photos for some reason. I think its him and he had no family.. just my thoughts..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2017, 12:32 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-09-2017, 02:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2017, 10:18 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2017, 09:08 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 09:33 AM