880 users online (137 members and 743 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

McCain kills Obamacare repeal for a second time despite Trump's threats

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...re-repeal.html

Sen. John McCain announced his opposition to the latest Obamacare repeal bill
    Said he could not back it 'in good conscience'
    President Donald Trump turned up the pressure on Senate Republicans
    The chamber is planning to vote on Graham-Cassidy and it's Obamacare repeal
    Plan to hurry the bill by Sept. 30 to pass on a simple majority
    McCain called for 'regular order'
    Trump said Friday people who kill repeal will be known as Republicans who 'saved' Obamacare
    The president mentioned 'future political campaigns' at stake
    Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul hits back: 'I won't be bribed or bullied'
    Paul has blasted the bill as 'fake' repeal
    Sen. Susan Collins of Maine and Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska are wavering
    McCain previously cast decisive vote to kill 'skinny' repeal bill
    Trump dined with Murkowski, after attacking her on the previous vote
    Alaska stands to lose millions under the bill by ending subsidies, and backers are working on changes that might get Murkowski's support
    Trump has blasted Republicans for touting repeal for seven years but failing

If there is a healthcare repeal and replace, it should be transparent and have a CBO score. This must be hard for McCain given his close relationship with Graham.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

I'm sorry that your health is determined by whether McCain's feeling generous, US friends.

Mccain is showing what the GOP lacks, compassion for humanity not motivation by greed

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    READ: Sen. John McCain's full statement on health care reform

WASHINGTON - Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement Friday on health care reform:

“As I have repeatedly stressed, health care reform legislation ought to be the product of regular order in the Senate. Committees of jurisdiction should mark up legislation with input from all committee members, and send their bill to the floor for debate and amendment. That is the only way we might achieve bipartisan consensus on lasting reform, without which a policy that affects one-fifth of our economy and every single American family will be subject to reversal with every change of administration and congressional majority.

“I would consider supporting legislation similar to that offered by my friends Senators Graham and Cassidy were it the product of extensive hearings, debate and amendment. But that has not been the case. Instead, the specter of September 30th budget reconciliation deadline has hung over this entire process...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...th-care-reform

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    McCain Comes Out Against GOP Health Care Bill
    by Leigh Ann Caldwell

WASHINGTON — Sen. John McCain announced on Friday that he'll vote against the Graham-Cassidy Republican health care bill, putting the future of the legislation in peril.

McCain complained about the process, criticizing the lack of debate and committee time for legislation that would remake the country's health care system...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...e-bill-n803911

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    READ: Sen. John McCain's full statement on health care reform

WASHINGTON - Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement Friday on health care reform:

“As I have repeatedly stressed, health care reform legislation ought to be the product of regular order in the Senate. Committees of jurisdiction should mark up legislation with input from all committee members, and send their bill to the floor for debate and amendment. That is the only way we might achieve bipartisan consensus on lasting reform, without which a policy that affects one-fifth of our economy and every single American family will be subject to reversal with every change of administration and congressional majority.

“I would consider supporting legislation similar to that offered by my friends Senators Graham and Cassidy were it the product of extensive hearings, debate and amendment. But that has not been the case. Instead, the specter of September 30th budget reconciliation deadline has hung over this entire process...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...th-care-reform
    Mccain defending the principals America was built on while Graham tries to circumvent it. Shameful Lindsey, Loser Lindsey

I have just read on another site that Trump has promised Murkowski that if she votes for the Lindsay/Graham bill, Alaska can keep Obamacare.
    Sorry, I don't have a link. Could this be true?

Study: 21 Million More Uninsured Under Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill
    by Benjy Sarlin

If the latest Republican bill to repeal Obamacare passes, 21 million fewer people will have insurance by 2026, according to a new analysis Friday.

The bill, known as Graham-Cassidy, would eliminate Obamacare’s requirement that individuals buy insurance, end its expansion of Medicaid, and require every state to build their own health care system using a new federal block grant. It would also put new caps on Medicaid spending, which are expected to grow at a slower rate than under current law.

Graham-Cassidy’s block grants expire in 2027. If Congress doesn’t act to replace them, the number of additional uninsured versus under current law would rise to 32 million that year, according to the non-partisan Brookings Institution...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...h-care-n803801

I can't imagine Susan Collins voting yes, so it looks doomed.

Thanks. In reading those articles, I noticed that three of them gave the facts and the Fox one didn't give many facts, but did have a mean spirited tone.

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    I do respect McCain but this is a horrible, terrible bill too. Is McCain really invested in preserving healthcare or is he simply saving Senate Republicans from themselves? That's what I wonder, and worry, about.

He's still totally open to repealing ACA...and meanwhile this administration is openly, deliberately sabotaging the ACA. The enrollment period is cut in half, 'maintenance' will force the enrollment site to be shut down for 12 hour stretches at a time; advertising budget for the ACA enrollment has been slashed, and even more still.

I absolutely agree the only way that any healthcare reform should be passed is through regular order though in his press release he criticized the democrats for ramming through the ACA - you know, that bill that took over a year to negotiate, has somewhere near 200 republican amendments, passed with a normal 60 vote, had dozens of hearings and was open to debate on the floor. That one, rammed through in the dead of night.

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post
    I do respect McCain but this is a horrible, terrible bill too. Is McCain really invested in preserving healthcare or is he simply saving Senate Republicans from themselves? That's what I wonder, and worry, about.

He's still totally open to repealing ACA...and meanwhile this administration is openly, deliberately sabotaging the ACA. The enrollment period is cut in half, 'maintenance' will force the enrollment site to be shut down for 12 hour stretches at a time; advertising budget for the ACA enrollment has been slashed, and even more still.

I absolutely agree the only way that any healthcare reform should be passed is through regular order though in his press release he criticized the democrats for ramming through the ACA - you know, that bill that took over a year to negotiate, has somewhere near 200 republican amendments, passed with a normal 60 vote, had dozens of hearings and was open to debate on the floor. That one, rammed through in the dead of night.
    As an American using the NHS (which is one of the very few in the world that is administered wholly by government) what do you think of it?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast