1125 users online (232 members and 893 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - James 'Jimmy' Gilmore, 14, Baldwin Park, 7 Jan 1962

This is a facinating story about a missing teen. His body was found, in a crawlspace in the basement of his home. It was located under his parents bedroom.

The home was on a farm, so the people living there never smelled anything. The young Mr. Gilmore was not known for his kindness...

Excerpt from the article:

Jimmy, as his family called him, wasn't a pleasant person, according to relatives. Family members and neighbors told police he extorted money from boys and threatened to beat others. His mother, Donna, described him as vicious, police said.

He also had a poor relationship with his two brothers.

"He was a bully," said his younger brother, Wayne Gilmore of San Bernardino. "He had a reputation of being crazy."

Jimmy also hung out with older teens in a motorcycle gang, Wayne Gilmore said.
    The case has been reopened in the hopes of finding his killer.

To read the full story go here:
    http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_3401531

Just from reading the story, I would guess that it was one or all of the kids. First of all, there is no mention if there was any sign of a struggle noted at the scene. Second, no one noticed anyone digging a shallow grave under the house? And third, the sand may have acted as a filter after a while, but in a shallow grave I would have expected an odor to be in the house, at least during the summer months while the body was relatively fresh and decomposing.
    The whole family appears to have been pretty dysfunctional. Parents didn't supervise the kids. No one in the family seems to feel it necessary to use any of the little euphemisms that are usually given in describing the dead person. No he was 'troubled' or he 'had problems'. They go right for 'vicious, cruel, devious, and would have run the mafia, would have been a killer'. Almost as though they are trying to justify his death. I wonder if it wasn't a case of the kids all joining together both to kill, and to keep the secret.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Mysteriew that's why I posted the story - its very odd!

Even the father thought the kids should be polygraphed... although there is no evidence they did that.

Its an interesting case, and the detectives do have their work cut out for them to solve it!

That whole story is very creepy. I wonder what this Wayne Gilmore guy has been up to? Jimmy was 14 -- how old was Wayne? I think he knows more than he's admitting to.

I know I am bumping a super old topic, but I was researching Wayne's story and found this thread. I lived across the street from the Gilmores, but didn't know the Wayne or his family, because I was only about 3 when they moved away. My parents knew them though. I was about 14 when they discovered the body.

One day I went outside and the entire house across the street was raised up on jacks and investigators were digging around under there. For weeks later there was an old tennis shoe in the dirt near the crawlspace (the house stayed raised up and a high chainlink fence put up until it was demolished) and my friends and I were convinced it was from the body... but looking back on it, surely the investigators wouldn't have left that behind!

Also, somebody mentioned the house was a farm, but that's wrong, it was a residential area. No cows or anything like that to cover up any odors.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolus View Post
    I know I am bumping a super old topic, but I was researching Wayne's story and found this thread. I lived across the street from the Gilmores, but didn't know the Wayne or his family, because I was only about 3 when they moved away. My parents knew them though. I was about 14 when they discovered the body.

One day I went outside and the entire house across the street was raised up on jacks and investigators were digging around under there. For weeks later there was an old tennis shoe in the dirt near the crawlspace (the house stayed raised up and a high chainlink fence put up until it was demolished) and my friends and I were convinced it was from the body... but looking back on it, surely the investigators wouldn't have left that behind!

Also, somebody mentioned the house was a farm, but that's wrong, it was a residential area. No cows or anything like that to cover up any odors.

Glad you bumped this up, diabolus. Interesting and I hadn't heard of it. Pity the link is no longer working. Would love to know more about this.

All kinds of hugs!

ROSIE

I read about this case on another site, fascinating. I am so annoyed that link doesn't work.

I think I've found the siblings of James David Born Nov 1947

Wayne Robert Gilmore Born Oct 1948
    Linda Loraine '' '' Nov 1945
    Richard John '' '' June 1944

There could be others, some different spellings of mothers maiden name 'Schneider'
    Last edited by Robin Hood; 04-25-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added James's birth date

No one seemed to care about this kid and his family let him run around and just act like a hellion. What was this nabe like?

Here's a two page article I found on this case:
    http://articles.latimes.com/1985-05-...-investigation

Younger brother passed a poly. Apparently neither the father or an older brother or the mother was home that evening. The parents were estranged.

If I had to guess, I would say it would have to be someone in his family that murdered him. The mother's story changed a bit, not much, but still it's not a good sign.

I do believe the younger brother had no idea what happened to James. His statements strike me as quite candid. As tough as he made James out to be, he also said, James was afraid of the dark.

Now that is very curious, given that James was an alleged bully, and I'm not sure what to make of that exactly, not knowing the intensity of his fear.

Interesting case.

Was there abuse in the home? Were the cops ever called there?

I strongly believe that Jimmy dying saved the lives of many innocent people. Interesting that the dad polygraphed the kids. hmmm...

I just found this case the other day. It seems kind of obvious that someone in that house was responsible; who else would bury a person under their own house? The entire family seemed horribly dysfunctional and possibly the bane of their neighbors' existence. The kind of family that nowadays, CPS case workers would know on a first name basis. Despite passing the polygraph, I really believe that Wayne definitely knows more about what happened. I'm still not totally convinced there was a knock at the door that prompted Jimmie to leave the house. It also says that "reportedly", the half-brother Richard wasn't there. Again, that's presumably according to Wayne. Could Richard have been there and Jimmie began attacking him or one of the other kids and they killed him in self-defense?

Also, I don't know why I feel this way, but does anyone else wonder if the family is exaggerating or lying about how bad and hateful Jimmie was?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast