692 users online (88 members and 604 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    The NFL is getting hammered after another game was played in a half-empty stadium

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-a...ce-down-2017-9
    The issue is that the NFL has priced people out of the seats. It can cost over $150 for upper deck end zone tickets. Why do that when you can buy NFL pass for $200 for the season. Look at the valuations of the teams at this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#3cdf532d243f And, then when we look at the cost for a day at the ballpark.... we are talking over a $600 or more for a family of four.

The owners and the players have their heads right on this. It is important to look at the issues that the players are protesting. Some white fans might not like it but brutality and equity are still issues.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

OkieChance is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST
    Do you think they're violating the terms of their contracts by peacefully protesting, Elley? I don't. And a lot of team owners didn't either. But I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Also, the POTUS pushing his agenda by telling team owners to "fire" the "sons of bit*hes" pushes the envelope of violating the first amendment. At the very least. He's attempting to shut down the right to peaceful assembly and the right to confront our government to redress our grievances. If it doesn't violate the letter of the first amendment, it by all means forcibly defrocks and manhandles the spirit of it. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    The Constitution’s freedom of expression applies only to government action, not private businesses.

The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law…abridging the freedom of speech.” It says nothing about private action or reaction. Thus, it is a public misconception that free speech or expression extends to the workplace. It does not, as the U.S. Supreme Court has consistently ruled.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...r-conduct.html

Every professional player must sign the standard NFL player contract. In it, the player promises as follows:

“To conduct himself on and off the field with appropriate recognition of the fact that the success of professional football depends largely on public respect for and approval of those associated with the game” (Paragraph 2). “ If player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by the Club to adversely affect or reflect on the Club, then the Club may terminate this contract” (Paragraph 11).

But that is not all. The collective bargaining agreement negotiated by the players’ union and approved by the players themselves authorizes suspension or termination “for conduct detrimental to the integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football” (Article 46).
    Last edited by OkieChance; 09-25-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: clarify
    MOO

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    The issue is that the NFL has priced people out of the seats. It can cost over $150 for upper deck end zone tickets. Why do that when you can buy NFL pass for $200 for the season. Look at the valuations of the teams at this article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#3cdf532d243f And, then when we look at the cost for a day at the ballpark.... we are talking over a $600 or more for a family of four.

The owners and the players have their heads right on this. It is important to look at the issues that the players are protesting. Some white fans might not like it but brutality and equity are still issues.
    thats right on par with almost every other sport, not to mention that Football only has 8 home games, Basketball 41, and baseball 81. I got opening day mid level tickets for $60, so maybe its area/team but I dont see the prices being out of line anywhere.

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouBelle_LA View Post
    Fmr Army Ranger Alejandro Villanueva has sixth highest-selling NFL jersey after standing for national anthem

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...Search+Results

Villanueva’s Jersey Sales Skyrocket After Anthem Stand

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017...-anthem-stand/

Villanueva served three tours in Afghanistan, and won the Bronze Star Medal for Valor.

Despite Villanueva’s bravery and clearly understandable loyalty and love for the flag, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin still rapped him for standing for the anthem.

Trump can’t win a war on race with the NFL

No matter how much Trump has gained from fomenting racial tensions elsewhere, he can’t win that game with the NFL. African-American men make up 6% of the US population, but nearly 70% of players in the NFL. These players are the lifeblood of the league’s billions of dollars in sponsorship, merchandise, and ticket sales. Simply put, without the allegiance of black players to the game, the NFL’s business model would collapse.
    https://qz.com/1086253/trump-doesnt-...-with-the-nfl/
    FACT: Only 19.41% of total US Citizens made the effort to place their vote for Trump, and he won. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Trump/Russia Timeline: http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/

How the NFL Makes Money

If there is one thing we can all agree on, it’s that the National Football League is a financial juggernaut. In 2014, the National Football League raked in 7.3 billion dollars, with each of the league’s 32 teams taking home $226.4 million. This was an increase of more than twenty percent from 2013’s revenue.
    -Television Revenue
    According to Investopedia, two-thirds of the NFL’s income is earned via television revenue, almost all of it national in scale, thanks to nationally televised programs broadcast live on whichever of the major networks bid highest to be able to carry the game coverage on its airwaves.
    -Cable Packages Rule the Roost

-Mobile
    They recently closed a one billion dollar deal with Verizon to allow Verizon phones to carry an “enhanced version of the NFL app on their phones.”
    -Fantasy Leagues

So there you go: ticket sales and merchandising are nice, but the real money–for the NFL at least–is in television and media.

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon10 View Post
    thats right on par with almost every other sport, not to mention that Football only has 8 home games, Basketball 41, and baseball 81. I got opening day mid level tickets for $60, so maybe its area/team but I dont see the prices being out of line anywhere.
    True, and many other sports are starting to struggle with getting tickets sold unless we are looking at high performing teams.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

OkieChance is offline This may be the year when we finally come face to face with ourselves. ~ HST
    Woooowwwwwwwwwwww. I love him for speaking out to clarify the wrong perception!!

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post
    MOO

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post

He also stated every team member is patriotic and several who did take a knee have personally thanked him for his service. I couldn't fit all the tweets.
    Thank you for posting the tweets. When I saw the picture and read statements from the team it really seemed like they'd had their meeting, come to a decision, and then at the last minute he just couldn't help himself. Which is fine and which I respect (I have mad respect for this man, tbh), but he'd JUST made an agreement with his teammates.
    Last edited by bluesneakers; 09-25-2017 at 06:03 PM. Reason: snipped tweets, formatting wonky

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieChance View Post
    Do you think they're violating the terms of their contracts by peacefully protesting, Elley? I don't. And a lot of team owners didn't either. But I'm curious to hear your opinion.

Also, the POTUS pushing his agenda by telling team owners to "fire" the "sons of bit*hes" pushes the envelope of violating the first amendment. At the very least. He's attempting to shut down the right to peaceful assembly and the right to confront our government to redress our grievances. If it doesn't violate the letter of the first amendment, it by all means forcibly defrocks and manhandles the spirit of it. IMO
    Floyd Abrams, a noted First Amendment lawyer, said that what was most notable about Trump’s comments was his obvious disdain for free-speech rights.

“It certainly reflects a deeply contemptuous view by the president of the exercise of First Amendment rights with which he disagrees,’’ Abrams said. “I also think that if one of the teams were to go ahead and fire players because of the president’s statement, that could give rise to litigation in which the president himself or the United States government could become a defendant.’’
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.3e7a7e3df70d

Raiders Owner Mark Davis Talks National Anthem Protests

About a year ago, before our Tennessee game, I met with Derek Carr and Khalil Mack to ask their permission to have Tommie Smith light the torch for my father before the game in Mexico City. I explained to them that I was asking their permission because I had previously told them that I would prefer that they not protest while in the Raiders uniform.
    Over the last year, though, the streets have gotten hot and there has been a lot of static in the air and recently, fuel has been added to the fire. I can no longer ask our team to not say something while they are in a Raider uniform. The only thing I can ask them to do is do it with class. Do it with pride. Not only do we have to tell people there is something wrong, we have to come up with answers. That’s the challenge in front of us as Americans and human beings.
    Tommie Smith (with John Carlos and Australian Peter Norman) in Mexico City, 1968:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/60f021a52...h4bpo2_500.jpg

I look forward to the day when we can move toward a solution. It is one thing to rise up and give voice to a problem and quite another to have a solution. And yet, there must be time for both.

(oh, who am I kidding?...)

Margaret Mead said: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead

I don't think the players protests will have any positive effect on racial problems. Most white people see it as just giving them the finger. jmo. BTW Now, if they want to boycott & forego a paycheck, that would show they really had commitment.
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.

Last month: Confederate statues - white guys protesting - that's fine, because who is next, George Washington?

This month: Take a knee - black guys protesting - they need to be fired.

Got it.
    FACT: Only 19.41% of total US Citizens made the effort to place their vote for Trump, and he won. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Trump/Russia Timeline: http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/

I don't really have issue with this. If their employer (NFL) supports it then who cares? They didn't even participate in the national anthem until like 2009. They just need to get out there and help my fantasy team win.
    EVERYTHING I POST IS EITHER MY OPINION, MY EXPERIENCE OR MY BELIEF. MOOYAH

Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast