1030 users online (222 members and 808 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VT - Matthew Ives, 15, Highgate, 11 Aug 2002

I do not know if I am in the right forum or not,here is a summary;
    A 15 yr old buys an ATV with monies that he earned.The very day that he brings the ATV home he rides to land right next to his home.He goes down a path and is yanked of his machine by a cable that was strung traversing the path.He was hit in the chin and neck due to the fact that the cable was strung about 3 feet of the ground.He was two-tenths of a mile from his home.He died at the hospital shortly after.
    The town said that they were not obligated to disclose who owned the land and the portion of the path were the death occured.The town clerk stated that it would be "a huge liability for the town to conclude who owns the portion of the path".
    This child was killed by a cable strung where it would kill someone riding down the path on a vehicle.There were no signs saying "no trespassing" on the well used path.
    The police did nothing stating that he was on private land and it was an accident.
    How is a cable strung across a path not an intent to kill.You would not see this cable until it was too late if you were on a vehicle(by the way it was placed).Since when is land worth more than a human life.Land well traveled by people other than the landowners.
    This was not an accident,it happened in 2002 and I see it as cold case.(As well as many others see it.)

Is there anyone who can direct me to help with this?
    Last edited by dark_shadows; 01-16-2006 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadows
    I do not know if I am in the right forum or not,here is a summary;
    A 15 yr old buys an ATV with monies that he earned.The very day that he brings the ATV home he rides to land right next to his home.He goes down a path and is yanked of his machine by a cable that was strung traversing the path.He was hit in the chin and neck due to the fact that the cable was strung about 3 feet of the ground.He was two-tenths of a mile from his home.He died at the hospital shortly after.
    The town said that they were not obligated to disclose who owned the land and the portion of the path were the death occured.The town clerk stated that it would be "a huge liability for the town to conclude who owns the portion of the path".
    This child was killed by a cable strung where it would kill someone riding down the path on a vehicle.There were no signs saying "no trespassing" on the well used path.
    The police did nothing stating that he was on private land and it was an accident.
    How is a cable strung across a path not an intent to kill.You would not see this cable until it was too late if you were on a vehicle(by the way it was placed).Since when is land worth more than a human life.Land well traveled by people other than the landowners.
    This was not an accident,it happened in 2003 and I see it as cold case.(As well as many others see it.)

Is there anyone who can direct me to help with this?
    Where did this happen Dark Shadow???

Hi Hollow,

This happened in Vermont.

Hi Hollow,

No that is not the story.Thank-you for looking though.This incident happened in Swanton/Highgate,Vermont.

Was this investigated by law enforcement? I'm quite sure that landowners are not allowed to do anything like this which may cause intentional harm, even to those who are on the property illegally. If nothing else, the property owner could be held liable in civil court. I've been dealing with a simialr situation for years, due to an abandoned power line right-of-way which traverses our family property. It certainly sounds as though the cable were placed specifically to do harm.
    You may want to post this in the private forums also-The Jury Room or Parking Lot--for more definitive legal opinions.

Hello Shadowangel,

It was investigated,apparently nothing has been done.Matthews parents went to Montpelier to enact a law called Matthew's Law.Here is his link.Thank-you;

http://www.groww.org/community/board...tml?1050774463

This is on a grief board and Mrs Ives placed this in the wrong place.Anyway it tells Matthew's tragic death.
    Last edited by dark_shadows; 01-16-2006 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling

I find it quite strange that nothing was done...It certainly seems the cable was placed in such a way as to result in exactly the kind of injury that resulted to this young man.

Do you know if the family ever sought damages in civil court? With people suing due to broken sidewalks, patches of ice, etc-even in cases of private property where the person injured was not invited--It certainly seems to me that the family might be able to make a good case of it. The publicity alone could help to bring about the very change in law they are seeking.

When I spoke to Mrs Ives,the law was not passed.So I am trying find a way to help have someone look into this.
    They have not sued anyone over this.

I think you need to find a lawyer who is knowledgable of land ownership laws...There may very well be something already on the books--Was this road just a path created by the ATVs, or was it possibly an easement or access road of some sort? Its possible that some law already exists about its blockage or closure.

I am not sure,that is something that I will ask about.

I'm confused, was he on someones private property or public property? Sounds like the owner purposley had the wire there for some reason. If the owner didn't want people on the land then why didn't he have no trespassing signs up?
    Something similar happened years ago to my grandfather. He had a peice of land unlike this one though, it was marked no trespassing private property. Partially surrounding his land at one side was a barbed wire fence, 2 boys on ATV's were riding on it at night and one ran into the fence nearly decapitating him. The boy did die and his family sued my grandfather but the courts felt he was not in any way responsible for the boys death and the case was dropped, mainly b/c of the numerous signs up. He had them there b/c people would trespass to fish and whatnot in a pond on it and he was always worried that someone would drown or have an accident.

It was private property with no signs.It was assumed that it was ok to ride this road since people had been using it.

Isn't it public record who owns land? I know here you can just look up ownership on tax rolls.

The police interviewed a man(see below).But while investigating further,it was unclear who actually owned that spot where Matthew was killed,because the town map showed the path bordering various properties and the town clerk stated that it would be a huge liability for the town to conclude who owns that spot.

The following is from the link I posted:

"When the landowner was questioned by police about the cable that killed my son his response was that it was not illegal to put up a cable and that they shouldn’t have been down there in the first place. The officer stated he never felt that he was sympathetic about the death of this boy."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast