875 users online (128 members and 747 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Possible Connections

These cases may have some connection:

Wendy Eaton, missing May 17, 1959, from Media, PA
    Carolyn Majane, missing Aug 22, 1975, from Moorestown, PA. Had just moved from Bethesda, MD. Body found Dec 20, 1985 near Moorestown.
    Adult male in late twenty's, employeed by Health Club in Springfield, VA. Missing June 13, 1975.
    Young girl approximately 13 years old with long reddish blond hair missing prior to April 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper

Carolyn Majane, missing Aug 22, 1975, from Moorestown, PA. Had just moved from Bethesda, MD. Body found Dec 20, 1985 near Moorestown.
    Adult male in late twenty's, employeed by Health Club in Springfield, VA. Missing June 13, 1975.
    Young girl approximately 13 years old with long reddish blond hair missing prior to April 1975.
    What do you believe connected these cases? Was the last girl you mentioned Lisa White?

What makes you think it was the same abductors?

Carolyn was last seen walking down Main Street, in downtown Moorestown. She was from Bethesda, a very short distance from Wheaton. Wendy was last seen in the downtown area of Media. The Lyon sister's were on their way back from Wheaton Plaza. All of these girls seemed to have disappeared from populated areas. If that is the case it is likely that they all left willingly with the abductor.
    If indeed these are connected.
    Last edited by mere; 01-16-2006 at 02:54 PM.

Connections vs Coincidence

The case of the missing Lyon sisters received a lot of publicity and media attention. It stands out from most other disappearances because it was apparently a double abduction, by a non family member, and it took place at a very public and busy mall in mid afternoon.

It was very likely NOT the only crime committed by the perpetrator(s), mainly because of the skill required to have pulled it off and not be noticed. There were probably other similar crimes committed before and after. In considering other disappearances, abductions, murders, etc, one has to look at similarities and patterns. Also at possible motives.

A definite pattern can be seen in the few reported sightings of TRM. At least a pattern regarding his activities and interest in young girls. But did this individual confine himself to his TRM persona? Probably not. That particular activity was never connected with other abductions in the area, and maybe not outside of the Washington DC Metropolitan area.

What is apparent is another pattern. This is in the disappearance of young girls age 10 to 15 before and after the Lyon disappearance. It is most probable that the abductor of the Lyon Sisters had transportation. He therefor could have traveled about and been involved in abducting other children known to have been outside of their "home" area.

I do not think that the Lyon girls were a specific "long range" target or that there was a web of spies watching for them and a team waiting to grab them. It is much more likely that their abductor had made casual contact with them on one or more occasions, and that a window of opportunity opened on 25 March 1975 for him to make his move. Had he NOT been able to abduct them, it might have been just as likely that another child would have been taken the same day or the next.

A serial killer seldom works with others (although there are exceptions). And, unfortunately, that is probably what the police are dealing with in this case. If this were a case connected with a pedophile ring, or some such organization, some kind of evidence would have come out by now. I am not saying that such rings do not exist, but I have a hard time seeing any evidence of it in this case.

you said these people had connections to the dc area did u mean the missing persons? and if so how?. You mentioned lisa whites name. and i am very familar with her case as she went missing from connecticut the state i live in her case is possible linked to some other cases in connecticut a few girls in that time frame went missing all close to each other one of the cases being of janice Pockett she went missing while riding her bike in 1973 she was only 7 or 8 as some places listed as eather or she was never found except the bike she was riding. which was found Nearby. i dont see a connection at all with lisa and dc

Connections

I think that the title of this area "Connections" is a good one to express the frustrations of this case. Connections are what are needed most if this case is ever going to be solved. And it is precisely the Lack of Connections which make the case so difficult.

A Connection might be a similarity of some sort between this case and another; such as a similar place/setting, time of day, time of year, geographic area, age or description of victim, similar suspect, vehicle, weapon, motive, etc. etc.

The main problem, as so often repeated is the lack of evidence or lack of information. The girls were seen by friends and then they disappeared. Nobody actually saw them abducted, yet they have never turned up since, either dead or alive.

So Connections are mostly coincidental. Coincidences, however, may start to add up when more information is known. Could cases in other states be connected through a common perpetrator? My feeling is that Yes, that is a good possibility. This abduction was committed by someone skilled and practiced at it. If he had remained in the Montgomery County area long before or afterward, many more such cases would likely have become known. by moving around, and perhaps leaving the state - similar abductions might go unrecognized as being connected.

Where are you getting this information from?

Cynthia Gooding (16) and Teresa Alfonso (12) Missing 3 Sept 1974 Marathon, FL

As mentioned before, there is not a lot of solid evidence in the Lyon Sisters' case. Because of that it is hard to link other cases to it. However, that Lack of information is a common thread in a few other cases of missing children taken from populated shopping areas. Double abductions are somewhat rare, yet a number of double abductions (or possible double abductions) took place in 1974 and 1975. Here is one case which, like the Lyon case, is a probable abduction of two girls, one 16 and one 12 years old. They were dropped off at a Movie Theater, and were never seen again. I do not have any more information on them at this time, but perhaps someone else more familiar with the case can comment on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Cynthia Gooding and Teresa Alfonso Missing 3 Sept 1974 Marathon, FL

Cynthia Robin Gooding (16)
    Missing since September 3, 1974 from Marathon, Monroe County, Florida.
    Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
    NCIC Number: M-061966859

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: July 23, 1958
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 100 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her left eyebrow.
    Nickname: Cindi; Cindy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Teresa Armanda Alfonso (12)
    Missing since September 3, 1974 from Marathon, Monroe County, Florida.
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    NCIC Number: M-729859018

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: November 6, 1961
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm); 120 lbs (54 kg)
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
    Marks, Scars: She has had a tonsillectomy. She has a small-sized scar below her buttocks. She has pierced ears.
    Dentals: A small gap between her two front teeth.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Teresa Armanda Alfonso and her friend, Cynthia Robin Gooding, were dropped off at the Marathon Movie Theater in Marathon, Florida on 3 September 1974. Neither of the girls has been seen again.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Alfonso's or Gooding's whereabouts, please contact:
    Monroe County Sheriff's Office
    Missing Persons Unit
    305-289-2430
    305-296-2424
    800-346-8477

Agency Case Number: M743432
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
    Florida Department Of Law Enforcement
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    The Doe Network

Links:
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/2dffl.html
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/218dffl.html

Richard,
    This is all very interesting. I remember the abduction of the Lyon sisters very well. I lived very close to Wheaton, in Silver Spring, and had previously worked at Wheaton Plaza.

Can you tell me what TRM means?

Does the Lyon sisters case remain under investigation? It was so strange they way they just vanished.

Thanks!

Continuously Open Case

Quote Originally Posted by Neen56
    Richard,
    This is all very interesting. I remember the abduction of the Lyon sisters very well. I lived very close to Wheaton, in Silver Spring, and had previously worked at Wheaton Plaza.
    Can you tell me what TRM means?
    Does the Lyon sisters case remain under investigation? It was so strange they way they just vanished. Thanks!
    TRM is an acronym or abbreviation that somebody came up with on this forum to stand for "Tape Recorder Man".

The Lyon sisters case has been an open case since 25 March 1975. It holds the dubious record as Mongomery County's longest running open case.

Did you work at Wheaton Plaza at the time of their disappearance?

I do not have much information on Coffey's Navy background. I found an interesting tidbit that has similarities with other cases, possibly the Lyon case. In the immediate area where Carolyn Majane disappeared in August 1975 is a place known as the cornfield cruiser.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...ractionNo==894

Quote Originally Posted by mere
    I do not have much information on Coffey's Navy background. I found an interesting tidbit that has similarities with other cases, possibly the Lyon case. In the immediate area where Carolyn Majane disappeared in August 1975 is a place known as the cornfield cruiser.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/...ractionNo==894
    That is an interesting looking building. For every type of radar, radio, weapon system, etc that the Navy has, there are shore based classrooms and training facilities. It does look a bit odd to have what appears to be an upper ship's superstructure on top of the building. But then, I guess they want the sailors to get used to seeing and maintaining the antennas and connections in a way that will be similar to what they will see on board ship.

I don't think that Fred Coffey was doing any Navy training at that facility, as it was being used by the Air Force about the time that he was being discharged from the Navy. Of course, he might have been almost anywhere in the US by August 1975, having left his job with Vitro in Montgomery County, MD very suddenly late in July.

I believe Wendy Eaton went missing on May 17, 1975...not 59 (which was her birth year I believe) She went missing nine days before her birthday...and much closer to the time that Carolyn Majane went missing.

Carolyn was missing from Moorestown NJ.

Anyone have any information on Kathy Beatty? I have not been able to turn up very much information on her or her case.

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast