Possible Connections

Skipper

Former Member
Reaction score
These cases may have some connection:

Wendy Eaton, missing May 17, 1959, from Media, PA
Carolyn Majane, missing Aug 22, 1975, from Moorestown, PA. Had just moved from Bethesda, MD. Body found Dec 20, 1985 near Moorestown.
Adult male in late twenty's, employeed by Health Club in Springfield, VA. Missing June 13, 1975.
Young girl approximately 13 years old with long reddish blond hair missing prior to April 1975.

Skipper said:

Carolyn Majane, missing Aug 22, 1975, from Moorestown, PA. Had just moved from Bethesda, MD. Body found Dec 20, 1985 near Moorestown.
Adult male in late twenty's, employeed by Health Club in Springfield, VA. Missing June 13, 1975.
Young girl approximately 13 years old with long reddish blond hair missing prior to April 1975.
What do you believe connected these cases? Was the last girl you mentioned Lisa White?

What makes you think it was the same abductors?

Carolyn was last seen walking down Main Street, in downtown Moorestown. She was from Bethesda, a very short distance from Wheaton. Wendy was last seen in the downtown area of Media. The Lyon sister's were on their way back from Wheaton Plaza. All of these girls seemed to have disappeared from populated areas. If that is the case it is likely that they all left willingly with the abductor.
If indeed these are connected.

The case of the missing Lyon sisters received a lot of publicity and media attention. It stands out from most other disappearances because it was apparently a double abduction, by a non family member, and it took place at a very public and busy mall in mid afternoon.

It was very likely NOT the only crime committed by the perpetrator(s), mainly because of the skill required to have pulled it off and not be noticed. There were probably other similar crimes committed before and after. In considering other disappearances, abductions, murders, etc, one has to look at similarities and patterns. Also at possible motives.

A definite pattern can be seen in the few reported sightings of TRM. At least a pattern regarding his activities and interest in young girls. But did this individual confine himself to his TRM persona? Probably not. That particular activity was never connected with other abductions in the area, and maybe not outside of the Washington DC Metropolitan area.

What is apparent is another pattern. This is in the disappearance of young girls age 10 to 15 before and after the Lyon disappearance. It is most probable that the abductor of the Lyon Sisters had transportation. He therefor could have traveled about and been involved in abducting other children known to have been outside of their "home" area.

I do not think that the Lyon girls were a specific "long range" target or that there was a web of spies watching for them and a team waiting to grab them. It is much more likely that their abductor had made casual contact with them on one or more occasions, and that a window of opportunity opened on 25 March 1975 for him to make his move. Had he NOT been able to abduct them, it might have been just as likely that another child would have been taken the same day or the next.

A serial killer seldom works with others (although there are exceptions). And, unfortunately, that is probably what the police are dealing with in this case. If this were a case connected with a pedophile ring, or some such organization, some kind of evidence would have come out by now. I am not saying that such rings do not exist, but I have a hard time seeing any evidence of it in this case.

you said these people had connections to the dc area did u mean the missing persons? and if so how?. You mentioned lisa whites name. and i am very familar with her case as she went missing from connecticut the state i live in her case is possible linked to some other cases in connecticut a few girls in that time frame went missing all close to each other one of the cases being of janice Pockett she went missing while riding her bike in 1973 she was only 7 or 8 as some places listed as eather or she was never found except the bike she was riding. which was found Nearby. i dont see a connection at all with lisa and dc

I think that the title of this area "Connections" is a good one to express the frustrations of this case. Connections are what are needed most if this case is ever going to be solved. And it is precisely the Lack of Connections which make the case so difficult.

A Connection might be a similarity of some sort between this case and another; such as a similar place/setting, time of day, time of year, geographic area, age or description of victim, similar suspect, vehicle, weapon, motive, etc. etc.

The main problem, as so often repeated is the lack of evidence or lack of information. The girls were seen by friends and then they disappeared. Nobody actually saw them abducted, yet they have never turned up since, either dead or alive.

So Connections are mostly coincidental. Coincidences, however, may start to add up when more information is known. Could cases in other states be connected through a common perpetrator? My feeling is that Yes, that is a good possibility. This abduction was committed by someone skilled and practiced at it. If he had remained in the Montgomery County area long before or afterward, many more such cases would likely have become known. by moving around, and perhaps leaving the state - similar abductions might go unrecognized as being connected.

Where are you getting this information from?

As mentioned before, there is not a lot of solid evidence in the Lyon Sisters' case. Because of that it is hard to link other cases to it. However, that Lack of information is a common thread in a few other cases of missing children taken from populated shopping areas. Double abductions are somewhat rare, yet a number of double abductions (or possible double abductions) took place in 1974 and 1975. Here is one case which, like the Lyon case, is a probable abduction of two girls, one 16 and one 12 years old. They were dropped off at a Movie Theater, and were never seen again. I do not have any more information on them at this time, but perhaps someone else more familiar with the case can comment on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Cynthia Gooding and Teresa Alfonso Missing 3 Sept 1974 Marathon, FL

Cynthia Robin Gooding (16)
Missing since September 3, 1974 from Marathon, Monroe County, Florida.
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
NCIC Number: M-061966859

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: July 23, 1958
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has a scar on her left eyebrow.
Nickname: Cindi; Cindy
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Teresa Armanda Alfonso (12)
Missing since September 3, 1974 from Marathon, Monroe County, Florida.
Classification: Endangered Missing
NCIC Number: M-729859018

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: November 6, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm); 120 lbs (54 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: She has had a tonsillectomy. She has a small-sized scar below her buttocks. She has pierced ears.
Dentals: A small gap between her two front teeth.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Teresa Armanda Alfonso and her friend, Cynthia Robin Gooding, were dropped off at the Marathon Movie Theater in Marathon, Florida on 3 September 1974. Neither of the girls has been seen again.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Alfonso's or Gooding's whereabouts, please contact:
Monroe County Sheriff's Office
Missing Persons Unit
305-289-2430
305-296-2424
800-346-8477

Agency Case Number: M743432
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information related to this case.

Source Information:
Florida Department Of Law Enforcement
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
The Doe Network

Links:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/2dffl.html
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/218dffl.html

Richard,
This is all very interesting. I remember the abduction of the Lyon sisters very well. I lived very close to Wheaton, in Silver Spring, and had previously worked at Wheaton Plaza.

Can you tell me what TRM means?

Does the Lyon sisters case remain under investigation? It was so strange they way they just vanished.

Thanks!

Neen56 said:
Richard,
This is all very interesting. I remember the abduction of the Lyon sisters very well. I lived very close to Wheaton, in Silver Spring, and had previously worked at Wheaton Plaza.
Can you tell me what TRM means?
Does the Lyon sisters case remain under investigation? It was so strange they way they just vanished. Thanks!
TRM is an acronym or abbreviation that somebody came up with on this forum to stand for "Tape Recorder Man".

The Lyon sisters case has been an open case since 25 March 1975. It holds the dubious record as Mongomery County's longest running open case.

Did you work at Wheaton Plaza at the time of their disappearance?

mere said:
I do not have much information on Coffey's Navy background. I found an interesting tidbit that has similarities with other cases, possibly the Lyon case. In the immediate area where Carolyn Majane disappeared in August 1975 is a place known as the cornfield cruiser.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php3?tip_AttractionNo==894http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tips/getAttraction.php3?tip_AttractionNo==894
That is an interesting looking building. For every type of radar, radio, weapon system, etc that the Navy has, there are shore based classrooms and training facilities. It does look a bit odd to have what appears to be an upper ship's superstructure on top of the building. But then, I guess they want the sailors to get used to seeing and maintaining the antennas and connections in a way that will be similar to what they will see on board ship.

I don't think that Fred Coffey was doing any Navy training at that facility, as it was being used by the Air Force about the time that he was being discharged from the Navy. Of course, he might have been almost anywhere in the US by August 1975, having left his job with Vitro in Montgomery County, MD very suddenly late in July.

Skipper said:

I believe Wendy Eaton went missing on May 17, 1975...not 59 (which was her birth year I believe) She went missing nine days before her birthday...and much closer to the time that Carolyn Majane went missing.

Skipper said:

Carolyn was missing from Moorestown NJ.

Anyone have any information on Kathy Beatty? I have not been able to turn up very much information on her or her case.

mere said:
Anyone have any information on Kathy Beatty? I have not been able to turn up very much information on her or her case.
In stark contrast to the Lyon Case, which was front page news for months, very little was covered of the Kathy Beatty case in the Washington DC and Maryland press. One short story about her being found, still alive but badly beaten was followed up about 12 days later when another small story told of her death from her injuries. About a year and a half later, a much larger article featured her story and included a lot of information given by her mother. I have a lot of that information, and will look for my summary of it.

Richard, would you post the dates of the Kathy Lynn Beatty newspaper articles you have and those of the 1986/7 Fred Howard Coffey, Jr printed in Washington Post or other MD papers you know about, if you have time. I've found a college nearby that might have the newspapers on microfiche/film. Also, I've contacted my cousin by phone several times about trying to reach her son who she thinks might be able to clean up the 1975 photo but so far nothing has come of it. I will also be trying to take a trip to Littlestown, PA hopefully this week after my brakes are fixed. Thought I would try to find out if there are any newspaper articles with more information about the disappearance of Tracy King, July 8, 1975. Thanks.

The following is a list of the information I sent to Sgt. DeCarlo with updates since then gleaned from Richard's postings. The original did not include the names of the abductees because I was looking for patterns but the birthdates, names, hair and eye color, etc were recorded in my notes. This is not to say Coffey is responsible for all but to ask the queston -- Could he be - because of the proximity to where he was or might have been at the time.

Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. dates/days of week patterns for MD/PA and easy access to escape routes to Silver Spring and other locations:

03-20-1945 - TUESDAY - BORN (We now know his birthdate had been changed to the 19th, MONDAY)

05-19-1962 - SATURDAY - ENLISTED US NAVY

09-12-1974 - THURSDAY - HONORABLE DISCHARGE - VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (?)
??-??-1974 - UNKNOWN - CHILD MOLESTATION CONVICTIONS, VA. BCH.,VA

03-20-1975 - THURSDAY - F. H. Coffey, Jr. - BIRTHDAY
03-25-1975 - TUESDAY - Wheaton, MD - LYON SISTERS DISAPPEAR
04-01-1975 - TUESDAY - Silver Spring, MD - F. H. Coffey, Jr. - INTERVIEW VITRO LABS
04-07-1975 - MONDAY - Manassas, VA - 7:30 AM - LYON SISTERS SIGHTED IN VEHICLE BOUND AND GAGGED
04-07-1975 - SAME DAY - New Lisbon, NJ - Approx. 4:30 PM - 17 & 12 yr old boys left New Lisbon State School, HY 72 - very close to 4 rest stops in large park area/campground/near US NAVY BASE - STEVEN ANDERSON & DAVID WILLIAMS.
04-24-1975 - THURSDAY - F. H. Coffey, Jr. - starts work, VITRO LABS
05-17-1975 - SATURDAY - Media, PA (next to Secane below; near Rts 1 & 95 to Balt.; Sub of Philly?) - WENDY EATON
06-24-1975 - TUESDAY - PHILADELPHIA, PA (RT 95 runs thru Philly to Balt.) - EDNA CHRISTINE THORNE
07-01-1975 - TUESDAY -OR-
07-07-1975 - MONDAY - POSSIBLE ATTEMPTED ABDUCTION - CONGRESSIONAL PLAZA (my girls; I had to have the receipt book for a Wed. P.U. - my youngest is redhead - couple weeks passed bef Kathy Beatty article printed after seeing TRM in Murphy's)
07-08-1975 - TUESDAY - Littlestown, PA (on RT 97 to RT 15 or 140 to Silver Spring, MD) - TRACY ANN KING - (ONLY REDHEAD)
07-24-1975 - THURSDAY - Silver Spring, MD - FOUND - KATHY LYNN BEATTY - ATTACKED
07-31-1975 - THURSDAY - Silver Spring, MD - COFFEY QUITS WORK VITRO LABS SAYING WIFE & DAU. INVOLVED IN ACCIDENT. IS A LIE AND EXCUSE HE'S USED PREVIOUSLY.
08-05-1975 - TUESDAY - Silver Spring, MD(?) - KATHY LYNN BEATTY DIES

07-12-1977 - TUESDAY - Secane, PA (next to Media above, sub of Philly?; RTS 1 & 95 to Balt.) - Cheryl Ann Moser Iscomm...not sure of this name or why so long. Might be mistake in my notes.
10-21-1977 - FRIDAY - Robinson, PA (above Johnstown - easy to Cumberland) - RENEE ANN GREGOR (sp?)
11-23-1977 - WEDNESDAY - Petersburg, VA (From Colonial Heights, VA - last seen hitchhiking south - INT 95 near Washington St. Exit Petersburg. (Day before Thanksgiving. Chance encounter? Unrelated?)

07-14-1981 - TUESDAY - Delmar City, MD (on border of MD & DE -easy shot from VA BCH, VA) - KATHRYN MAE QUACKENBUSH

NOTE: COFFEY STATIONED VA BCH WHILE IN NAVY & CONVICTED OF CHILD MOLESTATION THERE 1974.

03-18-1965 - TUESDAY - Tyrone, PA (above Altoona on RT 220; straight shot to Cumberland, MD) - KATHY ANN SHEA

ABDUCTIONS IN NC - STRAIGHT SHOT FROM CHARLOTTE, NC WHERE COFFEY LIVED.

03-18-1981 - WEDNESDAY - LEXINGTON, NC - DONNA MICHELE BARNHILL, AGE 14
06-13-1970 - SATURDAY - WINSTON, NC - SHERRI LEE TRUESDALE - Shopping Rayless Dept Store. (Payless (?))

The search was only for young females under the age of 16 and abductions that took place before Coffey was arrested 1986. Later, I noticed the two male abductions from New Lisbon, NJ and that the date was the same day the Lyon sisters were supposedly seen in Mannassas, VA. A check was made thru Atlas and MapQuest to see if it was possible to get from Mannassas to New Lisbon between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM and found it was with time to spare. Later, I learned Coffey had molested a young boy in NC and realized he was prone to abduct and molest both sexes. I also stuck to white females except for Sherri Lee above because of the location near Charlotte and the possibility the store was in a mall.

ShurlT said:
Richard, would you post the dates of the Kathy Lynn Beatty newspaper articles you have and those of the 1986/7 Fred Howard Coffey, Jr printed in Washington Post or other MD papers you know about, if you have time. ....
I have seen articles on Kathy Lynn Beatty in the Washington Post, and you can find them in microfilm files. The first article appeared on 25 or 26 July 1975. The next appeard on 5, 6, or 7 August 1975. The big article which I quote in full on a separate topic of this thread appearred on 6 January 1977, Page 1, of the Maryland Weekly section of the Washington Post. There may also have been coverage of this crime in the Washington Star Newspaper (which went defunct in 1982).

Washington Post Articles about possible links to Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. began appearing in March 1987. Three specific dates/issues are:
13 March 1987, Page C-1
20 March 1987, Page B-3
22 June 1987, Page D-7

There may be more. The Washington Post published an annual index of all articles, so you might look there for other possible stories. The main library in Rockville, MD (Montgomery County) and the Adelphi Road Library on in Hyattsville (Prince Georges County) both have extensive microfilm files that you can research.

Skipper said:
Would anyone happen to have the Washington D C metropolitan yellow pages from 1975?
Skipper, do you have a particular listing you are trying to locate or do you need the entire directory?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back