Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    First, please, everyone. I AM NOT the Joe Friday ( with cap.'s ) who made so many controversial comments on the Scott Peterson case.

I am a totally different person, and the administrator assures me that that person had not been a member for a long time.

Thanks

Emery, thanks for your perceptive insights back in June!. The same occurs to me because I have lived and raised a daughter in this area.

ShlurT - thanks for the reassurance that I am at least "making some sense".

Jeb - I apologize if I said you were a "susposed two time spotter of the Taper Recorder Man." I know you saw someone fitting this discription at least once, it was very clear to me based on the way you told it.

However, PLEASE understand, that you are not positive that ( 80% ??) that the TRM was Coffey. And no one has positively linked the TRM to the Lyons except through circumstantial evidence!!

Also, understand my and Emeory's positions. We live/lived here. We are a little tiny bit cynical that all the neighbors were seemingly given a free pass - even some of the questionable areas directly behind the Plaza through which the girls had to walk.

Finally, I do not think you are a dishonest person in any way! I think you are an honest man, a good person, a dog lover, a man who loves his spouse and family!! I think you're intelligent. Period.

So....if I happen to disagree on where the police should look on this case, it is NOT person. I indeed, am very sad to seem to have lost your friendship.

Someone from the neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by joefriday View Post
    Richard -...How about someone they really knew, in the general neighborhood, being the culprit? Doesn't it fit all the criteria for Criminology 102????

Why do we have to keep have some mysterious abductor that goes to other states undetected??...
    There are a wide range of possibilities any time a person goes missing. The vast majority of young kids who are reported missing have simply run away or stayed out too late. I do not know the facts and figures for it, but most missing child cases end up with the child returning home safely.

That was discussed early and often in the case of the Lyon sisters, but was not likely and the passage of time has pretty well convinced me that they were abducted - either in Wheaton Plaza parking lot, or an area nearby, perhaps while they were walking home.

Let's consider the possibility that they might have been abducted by a home owner or renting tenant along their route. There were not that many houses and the police did go door to door asking everyone questions. All garages, sheds, ponds, etc were carefully searched.

Police looked up every pervert and pediphile in the area that they knew and questioned them.

The family was interviewed, as were neighbors. In the end, no family or neighborhood suspects were developed.

I suggested the possibility of a neighborhood person named Michael Pearch being their abductor. (See the Suspects and Persons of Interest thread). Pearch's mother lived in a house only a few blocks from the Lyon house and very close to Kate's middle school. He traveled the residential roads often in his green VW, and liked to shop in Wheaton and at the Mall.

Pearch had moved to a farm in or near Friendsville, Maryland in westernmost Garret County - a good two and a half or three hour drive from Wheaton. But he came home often, and could very well have been in the neighborhood when the girls disappeared. He was mentally disturbed, paranoid, and very much a loner. He was into guns and knives and had prior Army service. He had been involved in counterintelligence and had told his mother and sister that he had been involved in kidnappings, fake passports and badges, and other such activities when stationed in Germany. How much was true and how much was simply made up in his imagination is not known.

In a way, you may be right about police giving him a "free ticket". Probably partly for the reason that he had never been in any kind of trouble prior to the girls' disappearance - so he was not on anyone's radar at the time. Also, because he was shot to death by police following an April 1975 shooting spree which started right at Wheaton Plaza. Pearch seemed to be singling out black adults to shoot at, mostly males. Police did not see any connection between the two cases.

The Pearch case was "open and shut". Police did what they had to do when faced with a mad man shooting people on the streets, who refused to put down his weapons. They shot and killed him.

But what made Pearch do what he did? And could he have done other things as well - like abducting the Lyon sisters?

Unfortunately, all you have to connect the cases is the closeness in time and place - and coincidence. You couldn't ask Pearch questions after he was dead, but it seems that no questions were even formulated regarding Pearch as a potential suspect in the girls disappearance. To my knowledge, no search was ever conducted for the girls at his Friendsville farm.

Rich, et. al.

You know as well as I that many perverts like Perch orchestrate their own killing. Some cannot sleep at night, and even orchestrate their own killing.
    The police are a convenient tool.

Another important point re perch: A personal friend of mine went through Oakland Terrace elementary school with the oldest of the two Lyon sisters. He has told me and his Dad and Mom many times that the Lyon girls were not blond haired/blue eyed stereotypes. That the elder, his friend was both extremely smart and extremely aware that her Dad was a person well known on the radio. He thinks that the dumb blond stereotype was used to issue the girls did something stupid - and were totally trusting.

I did not go to school with the girls. Therefore, I personally can only relate what he said.

P.S. Please review Ms. Lyons statements after the disappearance. He, and many others around here, believe she was right on.....

Take care all.

Ok, Ms. Lyon said, ' I don't believe the girls would have just jumped into, or even have been lured into a stangers car. They may have been told their father was in an accident... ' I tend to doubt this. These were smart young ladies, totally aware of predators. They would have run home to Mom, only a few blocks away....

Ok, so why is coffey so important to some....just a reflective thought.

Perach was not a stranger. He was known to be a frequent visitor of this Mom, who lives on the general route home.

Richard, you have my admiration. I tried to incite your narcissism, by causing a wild response, and calling me a bunch of names: It nice to have you to discuss cases with. I promise I won't try that again.

Now, lets get down to it.

Jeb, I apologized. You did not....

Jeb, I will not roll over, however. You can accuse me of whatever you want, be careful that you don't slander me, or if you do, please be sure you are able to substantiate it in a court of law.

I'm glad you're back from North Carolina. I know you wanted to visit Mr. Coffee at prison 'to hear what he would say', but I bet the NC police and his attorney weren't interested.

I know you are very concerned about his possible release. Interestingly, if he were the killer/abductor, releasing him could provide the positive evidence needed to confirm/refute your theory. He's not going to stay in a monastery if released....ya know?

Think about it and remember that this entire site is a matter of public record.

Tight lines

joefriday

You must have me mixed up with Georgiagirl. I haven't made any posts to this discussion except for the update on Fred Coffey.

ShurlT,
    Yep, you half right. I got you mixed up with Skipper, who commented a week or so ago. Yes, I also could have gotten you mixed up with Georgiagirl - but she/he requested clarification for understanding of a statement I made. Maybe it was a freudian slip, didn't you have massive conversations with former member "J"oe "F"riday on the Scott Peterson case? I did enjoy you thoughts, retrospectively, however, on that case.

Tight lines/best.

Wasn't me on Peterson Case either.

Quote Originally Posted by joefriday View Post
    Perach was not a stranger. He was known to be a frequent visitor of this Mom, who lives on the general route home....
    You mean Pearch was a frequent visitor to his OWN mother, NOT to Mrs. Lyon. Yes, he did visit his mother regularly according to news accounts and interviews given by his family members.

Mrs. Pearch's house was not, however, on the route which the girls would have taken home from the mall. She lived on Dennis Ave. - some blocks beyond the Lyon house. Her home was close to the Middle School attended by Kate Lyon and her younger brother, but it was not between the school and the Lyon home, rather it was a couple of blocks beyond it.

Michael Pearch did not grow up in Kensington. His mother moved there after he had graduated from High School. Upon his discharge from the Army, he lived with her in Kensington, and then he moved out to Friendsville, MD as sort of a caretaker for a farm which belonged to an old man who was in an old folks home.

Pearch had obtained some firearms from a gunshop which was not far from Wheaton Plaza. He was a regular customer at that gun shop which was in the "triangle" area of Wheaton. This was just east of Wheaton Plaza.

No witness ever placed Michael Pearch at the scene (of the Lyon girls' disappearance on 25 March 1975), and no connection was ever made between him and the Lyon family. No one ever proved or even mentioned that Pearch had any proclivity for young girls or that he was in any way a pediphile or child molester.

But here you have a person who proved himself to be mentally unstable and who was quite capable of murder beginning a killing spree at the same mall only three weeks after the girls disappeared. Up until that moment, nobody ever thought that he was violent either.

It was mentioned by family members that he claimed to have been involved in kidnapping, false identification, disguises, and weapons while working as a counterintelligence operative for the US Army in Germany. Whether this was actually true, or just stories told by Pearch, it indicates that this sort of thing was on his mind prior to the Lyon Girls' going missing.

Hi Richard

I guess I don't have anything else to say. You are right on top of this. The only point you missed is that psychotic killers who hate particular races, usually find other 'races' ( hair and eyes and skin) unbearably tempting...............

Why isn't Pearch listed as a suspect by MCPD? That alone is enough to make me suspicious ( smile )

This one haunts us all who live here. Thank God the neighbors have changed so much 60 percent of the people have no idea......

Stay safe, my friend.

I Hope Youre Right.

I hope you're right. What were Bundy's "numbers" by the way?

It's this, plus the MCPD inability and disinterest that makes me wonder.

I doubt the Coffey connection, simply because their are so many persons willing to throw out logic and make libelous statements against someone only convicted of 1 murder.

Bundy? Wasn't he a gay fellow who liked adults??? Didn't he stay in a singular neigborhood in Chicargo???? Didn't he have freezers full of body parts??

How do you know so much about killers and their driving habits, and their MO in presuing people....and how to you make them similiar to Coffey??? Richard - this is why I think this is being railroaded away from the truth.

Geez...........

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
    Richard, fantastic job-as always. Every time I hear of a case of this nature I can't help but think 'is this some of Freds work'. I believe Fred Coffey to be a serial killer possibly with numbers as high as Ted Bundy. He is suspect in numerous cases of the southeast. When he did that 12 yr. hitch in the Navy, he may have killed throuhout the US., & possibly Asia too. If we knew when & where he was stationed, it would help. I was told Fred had 3 vehicles, & no wonder, since some of these type killers drive 100K miles per year, riding around looking for victims. In my mind, Fred is suspect in all of these type cases commited between the early 60's & late 1986. I just hope LE checks some of the victims found with DNA left behind, against the DNA of Fred Coffey.
    Last edited by joefriday; 10-09-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Richard,

Of course I meant ' frequent visitor of "t" his mother who lived in the area....'

So I made a typo!! Obviously, every on else lived the the area ( smile ).

Interesting that you had to make a "corrective" statement on such an obvious typo.

Jeb - "I was told..." duh??? What does that mean. Who told you??? Sounds like here-say from a bad dream! And he, Coffey, is responsible for 'all the killings from the 1960's to the 1980's?' What?????

When you wrote that hysterical statement you gave his attorney direct evidence to dismiss everything you would ever say in a trial as prejudicial. Ever think about that??

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast