875 users online (162 members and 713 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    ....The secluded pathway through the woods which has been mentioned was actually very short - probably less than fifty feet total. And it went from a large parking lot directly to a well developed housing area. (Today that same area is completely open and paved.)....
    Interesting case. How do you know this about the path? Do you live in that area? I grew up in Fairfax County and have been to that mall many times, but I wouldn't have any idea how to find that pathway.

Quote Originally Posted by jttnewguy
    Interesting case. How do you know this about the path? Do you live in that area? I grew up in Fairfax County and have been to that mall many times, but I wouldn't have any idea how to find that pathway.
    I have a 1975 Map of that area, as well as more recent maps. I have also been there a few times to see what it is like. I believe that in the origional long thread, someone included a link to a map of the route of the girls.

Basically, it is believed that they either walked a block north on Plyers Mill Road from home and turned east on Drumm Ave, or that they first went east on Jennings, then cut through a yard to get to Drumm. Drumm Ave is blocked off for a block by large posts, so that there is no through vehicle traffic. In 1975, as today, it was completely navigable only on foot or by bicycle.

The girls traveled east on Drumm until it made a sharp left turn (northward) toward Viers Mill Road. At this point, they turned right onto Faulkner Drive, which dead ends in a small turn around. If you keep walking straight (east), you would go on a path through the woods and emerge in the Wheaton Plaza Parking Lot. Today the woods are gone, and the Parking Lot is very close to the turn around at the end of Faulkner.

As of a few years ago, the residential area was little changed from 1975, but in the past few years, a number of new condominium buildings have been going up along Drumm Ave.

Wheaton Plaza shopping center has changed drastically since 1975. Back then, it was an outside type mall, but today it is completely enclosed. The outside boundaries and the entrances, however, are pretty much the same as in the 1975 maps.

If you enter the Wheaton Plaza parking lot via the north entrance off Viers Mill Road, and continue straight along the western perimeter of the lot, you will shortly pass Faulkner Drive on your right, but will not be able to access it, except by parking your car and walking. This was also true in 1975. For an individual to have abducted the girls, he would have either had to get them into his vehicle in the parking lot, or he would have had to EXIT the parking lot onto Viers Mill Road, turning LEFT, and then making another immediate LEFT onto Drumm Ave to enter the residential housing area.

At that point, after abducting the girls, he would have to make a U turn back out Drumm to Viers Mill Road. If he chose to stay in the Residential Area, it would mean that either he had a pretty good knowledge of that maze of back roads, or that he was willing to take a tremendous chance at being seen with the girls by one of their neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by mere
    What do you believe connected these cases? Was the last girl you mentioned Lisa White?
    It was NJ.

New Jersey connected these cases?

I went to school in media from 1974-1979 and remember a situation in about 1978 or 1979. I was 9 or 10. I had to stay after school for a performance later and for some reason my mother allowed me to go get dinner by myself in the cute town of Media. Media is the county seat and was pretty safe at the time. I walked downtown from school (a couple of blocks) got a scotties sub, visited the costume store, and headed back towards school.

About a block away a man pulled his car up next to me. He called out to me and asked me where I was going. I said I was going back to school. He asked me a couple of more questions and at some point he told me he would give me a ride. At this point I became afraid and RAN down the street towards my school, stopping at the corner to make sure it was safe to cross. He pulled up next to me again and asked me why I "took off like that". I was very scared at this point but from this corner I could actually see my school and I mumbled something about how I was back at school now, ran across the street and into the very safe feeling lobby of my wonderful little school.

I have some recollection of this mans car and what he looked like. I wonder if this person is related to Wendy Eatons disappearance. Its a small town, you know?

Wendy Eaton

Quote Originally Posted by BethInAK
    I went to school in media from 1974-1979 and remember a situation in about 1978 or 1979. ...
    I have some recollection of this mans car and what he looked like. I wonder if this person is related to Wendy Eatons disappearance. Its a small town, you know?
    I included Wendy Eaton's case in the origional thread for the Lyon Sisters because she went missing so close in time and area. There were also several other girls missing in Pennsylvania around that time, and in years following.

Her case may or may not be linked with that of the Lyon Sisters, but regardless of that, Wendy's case is still open and unsolved. Pennsylvania State Police, Cold Case Unit is in charge of the investigation.

Below is a case summary for Wendy Eaton, and I believe that there are more discussions of her case here on Websleuths. Just go to the "search" window and type in her name for other links on WS.

I would urge you to call the PA State Police at the number listed below and ask to speak with the officer in charge of her case. It is altogether possible that your information could be helpful, even after these many years.

----------------------------------------------
    Wendy Eaton
    Missing since May 17, 1975 from Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
    Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: May 26, 1959
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'10; 90 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
    Medical Conditions: Eaton is deaf in one ear.
    Dentals: She wore orthodontic braces.
    Marks, Scars: She wears corrective lenses and has pierced ears.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Eaton was last seen walking three blocks from her family's PA home on May 17, 1975 at approximately 3:05 PM. She was headed to the downtown area of Media, PA.

Investigators
    If you have any information related to Eaton's case, please contact:
    Pennsylvania State Police
    215-459-4150

NCIC Number: M-361834859
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    The Doe Network: Case File 90DFPA

Link:
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/90dfpa.html

Thats what I was wondering, Richard - I will contact the troopers in PA.

another website...

In doing some google searching on this case, I found that the following website has copied some of my posts from this forum and started a topic thread with them.

Link:
    http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums...0&#entry203836

Elizabeth Archard, 13, Murdered 28 Aug 1975, Prince Georges County, MD

The following links were sent to me by a Websleuths member.

Here is an unsolved case of the abduction, rape, and murder of a Prince Georges County, Maryland girl, which took place on 28 August 1975. The area where this took place is not far from Bowie mall, which is one of the places where a "Tape Recorder Man" had been seen back in March of 1975.

These links are to newspaper stories about the murder of Elizabeth Archard, age 13. The story includes a composite sketch of a suspect, described as a white male, about 30 years old. He was between 5 feet 11 inches and 6 feet one inch tall, weight 180 - 200 pounds. Hair was described both as dark, and as light.

Evidently there were varying descriptions and two sketches in police files. One of those sketches is included in the first link below.

Because the text is hard to read, I have transcribed the story below the links.

first part with composite drawing:
    http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/fireangeldancer/Annapolis1.jpg

and continuation here : http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/fireangeldancer/continuation1.jpg

Text:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Annapolis, MD Friday September, 4, 1975

Slain Girl Sexually Molested

Elizabeth Archard, the 13-year-old county girl, who was slain more than a week ago , was sexually molested, contrary to earlier reports, the Evening Capitol has learned.

Prince Georges County police spokesmen John Hoxie said this morning that the medical examiner's report did state that the teenager had been sexually molested but the police withheld that information even from the parents,

"Initially, we didn't think so (that she was sexually molested)," Hoxie said "But the autopsy showed she was."

Prince Georges County police , until now had not released any specific information from the medical examiner's report, claiming that they did not want to make public details that only the police and the suspect would know.

Hoxie said this morning that the police were also trying to spare Miss Archard's parents, Philip and Barbara Hale, further grief by withholding information that their daughter had been sexually molested.

The girl's body was found off Governor Bridge Road near Bowie on Aug. 29. She had been reported missing at 1 p.m. Aug, 28.

Police said she was last seen riding her bicycle at Forest Drive and Spa Road from a dental appointment to her 453 Waggamon Circle home.

Her new bicycle was found about 24 hours later near a pony riding ring on Spa road, about two miles from her home. Her body was found less than eight hours later. Police said she had been shot. Other reports indicate that she had been shot several times in the head.

Police are still searching for a man who was probably the last person to see Miss Archard alive.

At least three witnesses described the man, who was seen in a parked car near the riding ring on Spa road the day Miss Archard was reported missing.

The description of the man differ. While Prince Georges Couty Police publicly say they are using the second of two drawings of the man, sources at other police agencies say they are using the first and officially unreleased drawing.

They differ in some features. The key difference is in the hair. One witness told police the man had dark hair.. Two witnesses said he had light brown or blonde hair.

Prince Georges County Police refused to comment on the discrepancies.

The man is described as white, 30 years old, five feet eleven inches to 6 feet 1 inch tall and weighing 180 to 200 pounds.

He is heavy set with fair complexion. It was reported that he also had a light tan or sunburn on his face and arms .

He was seen in a 1970 to 1974 mid-size car, possibly a Ford or a Mercury. The two-door car possibly had dents on the driver's side and has a vinyl roof.

There are discrepancies in the descriptions of color, but most sources say it is rust-color.

Police say he is not a suspect, but, since he most likely seen Miss Archard he probably has valuable information.

Prince Georges County Police finished most of their interviews with residents in Wild Rose Shores, Miss Archard's community, and neighboring areas earlier this week. They are now investigating past sexual assaults and violent crimes in the area to find any possible connection with the murder of Miss Archard.

Hoxie said that police would have taken that course if Miss Archard had not been sexually molested. "We would have done that anyway" he said. "We have done that from the outset."

"It (sexual molestation) is most probable in this type of thing." he said.

To better coordinate the effort between Ann Arundel County and Prince Georges County police departments, an Anne Arundel County police detective will now.... (continuation...)
    work as a liaison between the two departments.

After detectives from the two departments met yesterday, Hoxie said, they decided to have one detective from Anne Arundel County work with Prince Georges County "on a formal basis".

He will attend meetings and "critiques" at the Forrestville headquarters so that both departments are continually aware of what the other is doing, Hoxie Said.

Tracy Anne King, 14, Missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, PA

Tracy Anne King disappeared on 8 July 1975 from a place just north of the Pensylvania/ Maryland state lines. Only about an hour drive north from Wheaton, Maryland. Could her abduction have been related to the disappearance of the Lyon Sisters?

----------------------------------------------
    Tracy Anne King
    Missing since July 8, 1975 from Littlestown, Adams County, Pennsylvania.
    Classification: Non Family Abduction
    Vital Statistics
    Date Of Birth: October 11, 1960
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 110 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Red hair; blue eyes.
    Marks, Scars: King has a scar on her right ankle. She has pockmarks on her temple.
    Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
    King was last seen leaving Hoffman Homes, a children's home in Mount Pleasant Township, Pennsylvania on July 8, 1975.

King was having problems at the time and was living at the home as a result. She had run away from the facility twice before, but King returned shortly thereafter both times. She has never been heard from again.

King apparently held no animosity towards her family and wrote them often from her stay in the home. Her letters are described as being those of a normal teenager at the time. King usually apologized for not writing more frequently. Her loved ones have searched for her since her disappearance in 1975.
    King's family resided in Perry County, Pennsylvania in 1975.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning King's whereabouts, please contact:
    Pennsylvania State Police, Gettysburg, 717-334-8111

NCIC Number: M-360386548
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
    Source Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    The Doe Network: Case File 342DFPA
    Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - TRACY ANNE KING Missing: Jul 8, 1975 LITTLESTOWN, PA

Links:
    http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/342dfpa.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14977

Correction to Elizabeth Archard Post...

A correction to my post regarding Elizabeth ARCHARD: The year that Elizabeth was abducted and murdered was 1978, NOT 1975.

Here is her listing in the Social Security Death Index:

Name ELIZABETH ARCHARD
    Birth 25 Sep 1964
    Death Aug 1978
    Last Residence 21404 (Annapolis, Anne Arundel, MD)
    Last Benefit (none specified)
    SSN 215-82-4858
    State issued Maryland

There was a three year separation between the the Lyon and Beatty cases and the murder of Elizabeth. Still, I wonder if there might be a connection?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43958

do you think these girls are connected? i apologize if this has been covered.

Possible connections...

Quote Originally Posted by 2sisters
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43958

do you think these girls are connected? i apologize if this has been covered.
    There are similarities in some of the other cases posted here. Circumstances such as time of day, remote locations, ages of victims, description of suspects, etc all play a part in trying to make a connection.

The problem is that in missing cases, there often is little or no forensic evidence to go on. Perhaps the solution to some of the missing cases is to find similarities to cases like that of Elizabeth Archard or Kathy Beatty - both of whom were abducted and murdered, and their bodies found.

Elizabeth

For what it's worth, there's a Naval base in Annapolis. Though Coffey was discharged Sep 1974 he was in the Navy 12 years and could have been familiar with that area.

There was also a disappearance in Del Mar, MD Tuesday, 7-14-1981 (Kathryn Mae Quackenbush) which has a direct escape route straight into Virgina Beach, VA where Coffey was discharged after committing several crimes against children there. Most of the disappearances in MD and surrounding PA occurred on Tuesdays except for the 2 boys in Lisbon, NJ on Monday, 4-07-1975, the same day as the alleged sighting of the Lyon sisters in Mannassas, the Media, PA disappearance of Wendy Eaton on Saturday, 5-17-1975 and the attack of Kathy Lynn Beatty possibly a Thursday. Interestingly enough, she died on Tuesday, 8-5-1975.

Part of my original research took into consideration the possibility of disappearances on a certain day of the week as well as locations and proximity to the Rockville, Silver Spring area of MD and escape routes. I've always felt there may have been a reason for the Tuesday disappearances. Could it have been the day he was born? For a while it looked that way until NCDC changed his birth date from the 20th, a Tuesday, to the 19th, Monday but maybe there was another reason. Was it his day off? At that time I didn't know if he had a job or not. Was there some other unknown reason for most of these disapearances occurring on a Tuesday? Coffey was discharged on a Saturday. At least that's the date given somewhere on these threads of the Lyon sisters.
    Coffey's pattern changed to Wednesdays in NC. WHY?

When I began my search on Fred Coffey in 2004 all this information was online on the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children and several others. Also, many newspaper articles under The Charlotte Observer, Charlotte, NC have a lot of detail about the various Fred Coffey cases as well as about Coffey, himself, are online and several other websites have information on him for anyone who wants to do their own investigation or verification of information. However, the last time I checked The Charlotte Observer there didn't seem to be as many articles available as there was a year ago. I hope they don't delete any of this information since the case is still active. When I sent the information I had to MCP in 2004 I put a cover page documenting all the websites I had searched so they could verify the information if they chose to do so. As a genealogy researcher this is part of the protocol for genealogy research and I followed that procedure and others as a part of my research on Mr. Coffey. There is a lot of information about him online if anyone wants to take the time to research it.

What is lacking in all this information is proof positive that he is the culprit in all these abductions and there is little information online about the other abductions compared to the information on the Lyon sisters disappearance. If only there were more information available on these other disapperances. Did anyone see someone or a vehicle? Was anything found near the point of disappearance, etc.? DNA would help a whole lot if something could be found but then a case would have to be built around it to cement it. There is a need for much prayer in this area.
    For now, it seems the Kathy Lynn Beatty case is the only one that MIGHT produce DNA if at all and if the evidence hasn't disappeared. Another area for prayer since Coffey may be extradited to Bristol, VA for the murder of Travis Shane King. The next best hope is if they could make a deal with him to confess and tell about these abductions in MD, PA and NJ - IF - he's guilty and where all these children are. It is so infuriating (sp?) to think that someone has the gall to snatch children off the street when ever they feel like it and they never can be found and the evil people that do these things won't tell what they've done with them or where they are. Something has to be done to put a stop to these people or some way has to be found to protect our children from them. There are too many missing children that cannot be accounted for. WHERE ARE THEY??? WHO TOOK THEM??? Confession is good for the soul. Cough it up!

Other factors...

ShurlT,

You make some excellent points and observations.

Besides the day of the week, and other factors mentioned, one might look at such factors as time of the month, phase of the moon, time of day, and weather.

At first glance, someone might disregard that sort of information, but you have to consider it, because those are factors which affect everyone in one way or another. Serial killers or Serial offenders (of whatever vice) all have patterns that they follow - just as everyone is a creature of habit in one way or another.

I once did a profile on the Unibomber for the FBI. This was before he was identified. From his 17 years of bombings, I drew up a chart which analyzed each crime based on day of the week, date and month, moon phase, etc. There were definitely patterns which could be seen. He also seemed to do his "work" in the spring and fall. I felt that he must be a gardener or hunter because he seemed to mail his bombs before planting season and after the harvest. The FBI, of course, never acknowledged any of this, except to riddicule the "moon phase theory" in Newsweek magazine. But in one of the first books about the Unibomber after his capture, one of their agents took credit for my analysis, and mentioned how accurate it proved to be.

My point, is that people are affected by different factors. Some get very depressed when it rains a lot. Others might get very active and productive at certain times because of the weather or season. If similarities appear along these lines in separate cases, perhaps links can be made and paths can be followed.

Just as forensic scientists look for similarities and matches in physical injuries, DNA, fingerprints, blood types, etc. The investigator has to look for behavior patterns in his suspects in order to track them down - or to predict where and when they might strike next.

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast