1293 users online (241 members and 1052 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Speaking of PR and the States in general, it's just so hideous to see so many here support Trump and his GOP (and make no mistake -- the Republican Congress and the voters who put them there, share this blame) willingly endorse what clearly are genocidal policies for the American poor here on the mainland and Hawaii by killing them through removal of access to health service, and in Puerto Rico, to let them suffer and die because of their skin color.

Two words for them all: Little Hitlers.
    Truer words were never spoken.

It's chilling, man's inhumanity to man. (With love to Bobby Burns)

This is a selfish, greedy, systematic choking out of those deemed "less than" by those with so much. Much power, money, freedom....food, ffs.

I am disgusted.

My responses in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaTime View Post
    You are killing the fake narrative that "Trump isn't doing anything to help PR"! LOL How many days are we out of this storm? If your family had to wait, say 10 days, for food, water, or medicine, is it acceptable? The only fake narrative was the Homeland Security person who thought the response had been a good one or the president who remarked on the island nature of Puerto Rico and said the responsewas a tremendous success. So successful that the three star general on the ground requested more troops and assets immediately.

Seems that the PR union CDL and hazardous waste drivers are demanding $50/hr from FEMA to transport goods before they will suspend their strike. Don't know about this. If they are not working b/c of pay scale. That is awful. Bring in troops and bypass them.

Hundreds of fuel stations are open, electricity is restored to them and their tanks are full of fuel. Freaking finally. How many days later, after the ports have been open and aid on the ground?

10,000 containers of supplies have been delivered and are on the ground, waiting for transport. All FEMA containers have been transported. Store shelves are being stocked. When all Puerto Ricans have enough food and water, this mission will be a success. Until then it is a work in progress, let's hope the president doesn't pull resources like fixing the road b/c he isn't sure about fixing the infrastructure. There is a small detail that you might have missed on this. With food in the stores, has the electrical grid gotten back on track b/c I hear that most people can't get cash to buy things or have not worked in weeks so have no cash even if the banks open. Is that their problem or can we help them figure it out? Or, is it just their laziness or expecting others to do it for them that makes it so they have no cash?

NO ONE is starving to death. NO ONE is dying for lack of drinking water. 1 million meals have been distributed as well as 700 million liters of water.Here you are flat wrong. There are areas that have not gotten food, water, shelter or medical help. How many people live in PR? Over 2.3 million. So with 1 million meals delivered, less than half have been fed one meal--not good numbers in my book. In the heat of the island, they need 1 gallon of water each day to survive and avoid disease. ...... you get the gist.

Tens of thousands of mainland military personnel are on the ground delivering supplies and rebuilding essential facilities and clearing roads.Thank goodness they have arrived. I look forward to the people on these islands being better served and cared for in the coming days.

But, Trump is a racist and has done NOTHING. Just NOTHING.Here we can agree. He DID nothing and he speaks in racist terms (calling the people of PR lazy and waiting for others to do things for them). Now, he has people doing something and has lessened the controls he had put on the FEMA and HS folks initially. Unfortunately, he still speaks in racist terms whenever he speaks contemporaneously. I think he realized that the families and loved ones of the people in PR are alive and well in FL and they can vote. Maybe they can melt the cup that was dedicated to the people of PR and send cash....

I am gobsmacked that people can believe such garbage about the US response.Conversely, I am gobsmacked that so many people will put politics above the needs of fellow Americans. It is time to stop speaking in THEY/THEIR terms and met the needs of our fellow citizens
    JMHO.
    Last edited by kaen; 10-02-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

Very thoughtful comments Kaen.

Quote Originally Posted by simba16 View Post
    Very thoughtful comments Kaen.
    Thanks, I appreciate your comment. So many people are disturbed by mistreated and harmed pets and will go to bat for them without question. Then, I am always surprised by how low the care level goes when we are talking about other human beings. If it were their uncle or grandparent, people would lose their minds. But, an island of people are suffering and people are just lining up behind the president rather than people who are in need.

I love animals, too. And despise people who mistreat them.

Also, people who are cruel and indifferent to other human beings are horrors, too.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    In the wake of the Las Vegas mass shooting today, media has focused on that with no mention of the recovery effort in Puerto Rico. The President, First Lady, and other high level officials will be visiting PR tomorrow, and I hope we will get some facts about progress being made to restore the island to normalcy. Until then, I trust the daily FEMA updates as reliable and accurate information, and anything else seems like speculation.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-sarah-sanders
    The White House
    Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
    October 02, 2017

Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, 10/2/2017, #18

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
    2:10 P.M. EDT

Excerpts:

[…]
    John.
    Q Over the weekend -- this was pointed out -- the President was very sharply critical of Carmen Yulín Cruz, who is the Mayor of San Juan. Other than her comments on Friday morning, in which she criticized Elaine Duke for saying this was a "good news" story, in terms of DHS getting supplies out to areas that were needed, what was she doing that prompted such criticism from the President?
    MS. SANDERS: Look, right now our focus is to bring the mayor into the coordination efforts. This administration, as well as other members on the ground, have reached out to her. We hope that she will join with us in those efforts and be a part of things. She's been invited to participate in the events tomorrow, as well. And we hope that those conversations will happen and we can all work together to move forward.

[…]
    I’ll take one more question. Fred.
    Q Thanks, Sarah. Yes, a couple of questions. One, ahead of the trip to Puerto Rico tomorrow, I wanted to ask about -- there’s a bill in the Congress, the McCain-Lee Act, which would give a permanent exemption to Puerto Rico from the Jones Act. Would the administration consider either a permanent repeal of the Jones Act or at least an exemption permanent for Puerto Rico?
    MS. SANDERS: I don't think that's something that's necessary at this time. If we deemed that it was, we could have that discussion then. But certainly something that we don't feel like is necessary today, so I wouldn’t imagine that would be something needed.

John Oliver calls President Trump's Puerto Rico comments 'horribly racist'

"Trump is basically saying, 'When hurricanes hit our people, they're not hitting our best. They're killing poors. They're killing lazies. And some, I assume, have said nice things about me."
    Video at the link.

Quote Originally Posted by SeesSeas View Post
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-sarah-sanders
    The White House
    Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release
    October 02, 2017

Press Briefing by Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, 10/2/2017, #18

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
    2:10 P.M. EDT

Excerpts:

[…]
    John.
    Q Over the weekend -- this was pointed out -- the President was very sharply critical of Carmen Yulín Cruz, who is the Mayor of San Juan. Other than her comments on Friday morning, in which she criticized Elaine Duke for saying this was a "good news" story, in terms of DHS getting supplies out to areas that were needed, what was she doing that prompted such criticism from the President?
    MS. SANDERS: Look, right now our focus is to bring the mayor into the coordination efforts. This administration, as well as other members on the ground, have reached out to her. We hope that she will join with us in those efforts and be a part of things. She's been invited to participate in the events tomorrow, as well. And we hope that those conversations will happen and we can all work together to move forward.

[…]
    I’ll take one more question. Fred.
    Q Thanks, Sarah. Yes, a couple of questions. One, ahead of the trip to Puerto Rico tomorrow, I wanted to ask about -- there’s a bill in the Congress, the McCain-Lee Act, which would give a permanent exemption to Puerto Rico from the Jones Act. Would the administration consider either a permanent repeal of the Jones Act or at least an exemption permanent for Puerto Rico?
    MS. SANDERS: I don't think that's something that's necessary at this time. If we deemed that it was, we could have that discussion then. But certainly something that we don't feel like is necessary today, so I wouldn’t imagine that would be something needed.
    This is a typical issue for this administration.

1. President tweets or says something that is highly offensive to rile his base.
    2. People react and the inaccuracies of his words become part of the news cycle.
    3. Two or so days later, the president's people walk back or gloss over his actions AND try to change the narrative.

I will say it again. This response is Trump's Katrina. He played politics with the response b/c PR was greatly in debt. He knew how to respond to emergency situations and demonstrated it in TX and FL. No excuse for PR and the Virgin Islands, except that they don't vote, are not generally people who support him, are not predominately white and they don't make products he wants. He screwedcthe people of PR for millions and I am sure that we will see an effort to privatize the islands under this regime.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/02/only-5-...f-trump-visit/

Only 5% of Puerto Rico has electricity on eve of Trump visit

October 2, 2017 | 10:01pm

Nearly all of Puerto Rico remained blacked out Monday on the eve of a visit by President Trump — and the US Energy Department offered a grim forecast for the restoration of electricity.
    Little more than 5 percent of electrical customers had service on the storm-ravaged island, according to officials — with the head of its power utility saying that number would rise to just 15 percent over the next two weeks.
    [...]

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    This is a typical issue for this administration.

1. President tweets or says something that is highly offensive to rile his base.
    2. People react and the inaccuracies of his words become part of the news cycle.
    3. Two or so days later, the president's people walk back or gloss over his actions AND try to change the narrative.

I will say it again. This response is Trump's Katrina. He played politics with the response b/c PR was greatly in debt. He knew how to respond to emergency situations and demonstrated it in TX and FL. No excuse for PR and the Virgin Islands, except that they don't vote, are not generally people who support him, are not predominately white and they don't make products he wants. He screwedcthe people of PR for millions and I am sure that we will see an effort to privatize the islands under this regime.
    "an effort to privatize the islands" Can you explain how that works? tia
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18