1228 users online (246 members and 982 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Just watched an interview out of PR (no link, but it was CNN or MSNBC).

One of the complaints made by a man who looked pretty desperate--National Guard is there, but standing around "Doing nothing".
    The mayor of San Juan said much the same on Rachel Maddow last night. She stated there's about 200 HHS officials waiting for marching orders. Somewhere, somehow, there's a very apparent breakdown in communication it seems.

JMO

I have friends there (and in St. Thomas, ugh... also Americans, ahem...) it is bad bad bad for so many people. Sure, if you are among the few who live right at the heart of San Juan, you are starting to receive supplies, but everywhere else? not happening. I have stayed away from this thread but had to chime in to say that I have spoken with folks there and it is bad bad bad. They aren't worried about slamming the WH right now, just concerned with making it another day. so sad.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by Jax49 View Post
    Just watched an interview out of PR (no link, but it was CNN or MSNBC).

One of the complaints made by a man who looked pretty desperate--National Guard is there, but standing around "Doing nothing".
    Unfortunately they do not have supplies. They are left to be peacekeepers as all hell could break loose at any minute.
    Last edited by kaen; 09-27-2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: that darn grammar
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

Same old, same old. How many times have we heard "But, we haven't received a formal request"?
    MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    This delay could be the difference between life and death. Why the hell did it take 6 days to send in the military? The USS Comfort won't be there for 9 more days. To talk about debt in the midst of this is almost criminal.
    The Con's golf resort on island went bankrupt.

Hero John McCain just tweeted about this, saying now is not time to put special interests ahead of citizens.

Pitbull and Mark Cuban rescuing cancer patients from Puerto Rico by sending their own private jets to fly them to the US

Pitbull has sent his private jet to Puerto Rico to fly cancer patients in need of chemotherapy to the United States.

The rapper, who hails from Miami, is one of many celebrities sending help to the US territory after Hurricane Maria cut power across the entire island.

'Thank God we're blessed to help. Just doing my part,' he said in a statement.
    Mark Cuban, entrepreneur and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, has also sent a private plane, with the team's Puerto Rican point guard J.J. Barea to bring stacks of supplies to victims.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz4tuiVBqdJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Faceb

Oh, God bless these two. I don't know about Cuban that well except he was kind of a night in shining armor voice in the 2016 election. But Pitbull, I have the biggest crush on him...

Hopefully their kindness will spur other creative ways to help.

See How Brad Pitt Helped to Rebuild New Orleans After Hurricane Katrina

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...d-pitt-article

Innovative. I don't want to hear nothing about Hollywood, music, sports industry snowflake bleeding this or that...

These are the very people who rise to a humanitarian crisis and cause with positivity, genuineness, and in the case of Brad Pitt, innovation for the future.

Next time someone lambastes Hollywood, take a trip to the 9th ward in Nola.

The foliage on the ridges in Puerto Rico are stripped, and yet the valleys are green. All I can think is sometimes too much help too soon can be too overwhelming to handle. The terrain is tough in certain areas...

So, in addition to contributing to the Red Cross, I'll be looking for infrastructure, medical, and basic needs requests. They'll come, just like they did after Katrina.

Really thinking PR could use a General Russel L. Honoré...

BritsKate is offline Past mistakes should teach you to create a wonderful future.
    Authorities have reopened Puerto Rico’s biggest port but say efforts to speed relief supplies to the island devastated by Hurricane Maria are being hampered by heavy damage to roads, computer systems and other critical infrastructure.

Cargo ships carrying supplies from the mainland U.S. began arriving at San Juan’s port on Saturday. But distribution of water, food and temporary shelter is building slowly, federal officials and private companies taking part in the relief efforts said, with thousands of shipping containers waiting for transport at the port.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/puerto-...low-1506446137

President Donald Trump told reporters Wednesday he was considering waiving the act but hesitated because “a lot of people that work in the shipping industry... don’t want the Jones Act lifted.”
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/lawmake...ico-1506529999

Perhaps there's a deeper reasoning that eludes me, but on the surface this appears to be choosing profit over people.

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post

Perhaps there's a deeper reasoning that eludes me, but on the surface this appears to be choosing profit over people.
    Omg, what is the matter with him? If this is the case, I call impeachment immediately. Our humanitarian crisis is our bond.

This jerk is sending the USA into bankruptcy, but never mind that right now. Saving lives is critical in PR. How can the messaging be so non chalante about sports?

I'm sorry, but I have a really hard time knowing people are dying and no reassurance about their safety and wellbeing was addressed.

I am sorry, this is not my president. My president would assure PR that help is on the way. He would make THAT a priority instead of targeting Colin Fitzpatrick.

And I'll leave it at that...

Quote Originally Posted by BritsKate View Post

According to this link, DHS is the one not agreeing to waive the Jones Act for PR, claiming they can't under these circumstances.

A senior DHS official said Wednesday the Jones Act doesn’t permit the department to grant waivers simply to push down costs. Only the Department of Defense may obtain a Jones Act waiver automatically, which it did to move petroleum products from Texas after Hurricane Harvey. If a request comes from another agency or person, such as a member of Congress, DHS conducts an analysis to determine whether U.S.-flagged ships can accommodate the needs before granting it, Mr. Lapan said.

But DHS found $20 million in spare change to build 8 prototype walls for the southern border. Find myself suddenly wanting to know which programs DHS took the $20 million from.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    According to this link, DHS is the one not agreeing to waive the Jones Act for PR, claiming they can't under these circumstances.

A senior DHS official said Wednesday the Jones Act doesn’t permit the department to grant waivers simply to push down costs. Only the Department of Defense may obtain a Jones Act waiver automatically, which it did to move petroleum products from Texas after Hurricane Harvey. If a request comes from another agency or person, such as a member of Congress, DHS conducts an analysis to determine whether U.S.-flagged ships can accommodate the needs before granting it, Mr. Lapan said.

But DHS found $20 million in spare change to build 8 prototype walls for the southern border. Find myself suddenly wanting to know which programs DHS took the $20 million from.
    I think this shows that McCain requested it yesterday (but who really knows?) ...

FACT: Only 19.41% of total US Citizens made the effort to place their vote for Trump, and he won. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Trump/Russia Timeline: http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/

Omg, even with a tragic illness, McCain is so much more potus, than potus....

Quote Originally Posted by rosemadderlake View Post
    Omg, even with a tragic illness, McCain is so much more potus, than potus....
    All day, every day. A true hero.
    FACT: Only 19.41% of total US Citizens made the effort to place their vote for Trump, and he won. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Trump/Russia Timeline: http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast