Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
For a week or so Iíve been pondering whether a new thread for discussion about immigration issues could exist here for respectful discussion. Iíve avoided starting a thread on immigration thread till now, because Iím concerned that we might not be able to discuss the ISSUES of immigration, without the thread devolving into anger, labeling, and name calling. But I am heartened to see some very intelligent posting on BOTH sides of a variety of issues in other threads, so I thought maybe we had settled in here to this new forum enough that we could TRY a discussion on issues related to legal and illegal immigration in the U.S. (and perhaps even applicable to other countries, as well).

With credit to momma2cam, here is one thoughtful post:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...0#post13359340

My personal feeling is that all areas of migration to the U.S. need to be seriously and publicly debated. Our immigration policies of 100 years ago are not necessarily the best for our country today, and the best and most effective immigration policies must consider the abilities and needs of the U.S. first, before we consider the needs and abilities of those we evaluate for legal immigration.

I strongly believe we should have a more rigorous, quota/ tiered, merit-ranked approach to all forms of legal immigration that is tied strongly to our own economy, and objective markers of prosperity and poverty in our own population, that are reviewed and adjusted on a regular basis.

In times of economic prosperity (that would be defined by hard data), we would adjust our immigration invitations upward, and accept more people who will need substantial support, and are less able to provide for their own needs, and contribute to our economy. In times of economic downturn (which would be quantified by hard data points), we would adjust our immigration invitations downward, so as to focus on our the needs of our own citizens, and growing our economy-- and yes, that might mean that we continue to invite more of those who are capable of creating jobs and boosting our economy, not "just" bar entry to those who are poor.

For example, the EB5 visa is not "evil" in and of itself-- why not tie that to the requirement to invest in and create a certain number of sustainable jobs in a specific region that pay a certain wage to citizens who are already living there? We do that now thru some federally funded programs for economically depressed areas.

I don't think that approach to immigration is "xenophobic" or "racist"-- it is pragmatic and sensible. IMO, we cannot afford to open our doors to everyone and anyone who wants to come here, simply because they are EITHER wealthy OR poor. A merit based system of immigration, with entry quotas at many levels, is the fairest and most sensible approach, IMO.

My biggest concern about our public debate about immigration is that we have become far too focused on defining the "diversity" issues as "strength", and "humanitarian/ egalitarian" issues as the end goal, and not "unity" for the resources, goals, purpose, and prosperity of the ENTIRE country. Diversity is a social construct that places value on differences and "separateness" of individuals and groups, ahead of unity in purpose and goal for the greater prosperity of the entire population, IMO. Diversity can be a strength in some social and industry areas, and at the same time, be a barrier or detriment in other areas of policy. IMO.

Our policies for refugees, for example, are chaotic, not equally applied, soaked in corruption and bureaucracy, often set up the refugee populations for long term economic and social failure, and long term dependency, in this culture. Our entire refugee program should be reviewed and reformed, IMO, because it doesn't work the way it was intended to work, and the population of who qualifies as "refugees" is not consistent, equitable, or logical.

Simply put, if the dollars were spent helping these populations in their world region of origin, we could help many more people to stay closer to their cultures of origin, and be more prosperous and build/ re-build safer societies over time. It is possible to be tremendously compassionate to a huge population of real refugees, without believing that we need to bring many of them to America to help them, IMO. We also need far more wealthy world nation partners to help us care for refugees within their regions.

Anyway, I'm hopeful we can have an ongoing, respectful conversation here about the ISSUES of all aspects of immigration.

Post on......
Thread #1