OR OR - DAYTON LEROY ROGERS, 1970's-80's

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Oregon City.
Dayton Leroy Rogers is going through his 3rd trial, this time his conviction is not in danger, but what will be in question is the sentence. He has been previously sentenced to the DP, but because the jury at the time was only offered the options of the DP or life with parole, the sentence portion will be retried, with the option of life without parole added.
One of his victims has never been identified.

Rogers' first known attack was at age 18 in 1972, when he stabbed a 15-year-old Eugene girl after taking her to a wooded area to have sex. In 1973, after striking two Lane County girls with a soda bottle, he was sent to the Oregon State Mental Hospital. After his release the next year, Rogers' crimes continued for more than a decade.

He is notorious not only for the number of victims -- he's thought to have killed eight women -- but for the way he tortured them.

He nearly severed the head of Jennifer Lisa Smith in the parking lot of a Denny's restaurant in Milwaukie. He hog-tied, tortured and stabbed many of the seven Molalla forest victims.

He acted on his foot fetish by sawing off feet, possibly while the women were still alive. He sliced off the breasts of some victims and attached dog collars to their necks before leaving behind their naked bodies to decompose. He disemboweled one victim.

Rogers usually targeted prostitutes who might not be reported missing for weeks or months. One Molalla forest victim was never identified.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1137381919311000.xml&coll=7

That is one sick male.

I guess there was never a reconstruction done of his unidentified victim, as I couldn't find anything on the Doe Network.

He victims looked "similiar" but not exactly the same, and all seemed to be between 16-26 (with one exception - she was 35).

Thanks for posting the articles/info.

I didn't find anything at NAMPN either.
The more I read about this guy, the sicker he seems. It is theorized that the victims who had their feet removed, may possibly have been alive when they were removed. He cut the feet off with a hacksaw. LE theorizes that the victims may have been in shock from the torture, and that Roger's may have removed the feet, in the effort to bring them out of shock in response to the pain.
He was never convicted of the death of the unidentified woman. He also had several victims who lived to testify against him.
Sadly, he had been previously convicted of a vicious murder, and got released before he committed the Molalla murders.

I searched on google for oregon jane does and found nothing. He is a sicko, I had to quit reading after the stuff with cutting their feet off was being talked about, I just can't understand why people get off on that kind of thing. His poor wife and son, I hope they have been able to pick up the peices of thier lives and move on, but I doubt it. How can you have a normal life after that?

hi
Do you know the date this unidentified Jane Doe was found.Maybe there are newspaper articles on microfilm.

Suzanne

The bodies were discovered in 1987. I read the links Mysterview provided and I never saw a mention of when, exactly the unidentified woman was estimated to have died.

This man was charged with stabbing a 15 year old who he had taken into the woods to have sex. Immediately after stabbing her, he proposed marriage! She survived.

So to answer your question Suzanne, based on what I read (and I could have missed something) its at least within the 1972-1987 time frame and possibly before.

If I've done my math right, he was born in 1954... so lets say at 15 its possible he started crimes (although there is no evidence of this), that would leave a wider time span of 1969-1987.

Most likely though it was a span of 1982-1987.

She likely was a prostitute. Most likely lived and worked in that area.
But she was also someone's child, possibly someone's sibling, poss. a mother.
She was a person, and she also deserves an identity. It just seems like when LE got their convictions on the other murders, that they just dropped it, without ever making much of an effort to identify her.

Email sent to DOE.

Response back from DOE. They are sending the case to the researchers to get more info.

I don't know if this will help, but some time ago I posted a thread on missing oregon women with all of their doe file numbers. I don't know how to link to it, but you may be able to find it.

Dayton Leroy Rogers

Alias: Steve Professional Gambler, Molalla Forest Murderer
Common Victim Type: Preferred street women, usually addicts, prostitutes and runaways
Disposal site: Molalla Forest, Denny's Restaurant parking lot
Car Descriptions: Blue Nissan pickup
M.O: Seclude street woman, bind victim, rape and murder. (Stabbing, Removal of feet, Disembowelment, Mutilation, Strangulation not ruled out)

Findings from Rogers' engine repair shop in Woodburn from wood stove;

5 charred belt buckles
Burned and partially burned fabric
Numerous brassiere parts
Snap fasteners
Star-shaped studs later identified as studs from victim Adams' pants
Buttons
Numerous zipper parts
Earring pieces

-----------------------------------

Rough Timeline

1954, Dayton Leroy Rogers was born in Moscow, Idaho.

1972, Rogers, 18 stabbed 15 year old in the abdomen with a hunting knife, due to risk of being charged with statutory rape, She survived.

February 13, 1973, Rogers pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was placed on four years' probation for that attack.

August 1, 1973, Rogers assaults two 15-year-old girls with a soft-drink bottle. Although charged with one count each of second- and third-degree assault, Rogers was found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect, was sent to the Oregon State Hospital.

December 12, 1974, Rogers released from the hospital.

January 1976, Rogers was indicted on a charge of first-degree rape in Clackamas County, but was eventually acquitted of the charge.

February 1976, while the Clackamas County rape charge was still pending, Rogers picked up two Keizer, Oregon high school girls, and at knifepoint allegedly raped one and threatened to rape the other. roger received a maximum five-year prison sentence.

January 1983, Rogers parole was formally terminated.

July 7, 1987, Kidnaps Heather Brown, age 31, She escapes, and Reports attack to police.

August 7, 1987, Murdered Jennifer Smith, age 25, mother of two

Aug. 31, 1987, Everett Banyard was hunting in the Molalla Forest, discovers a decomposed body, at the end of the search seven bodies located in total;

Six Victims identified, One remains unidentified; The medical examiner estimated that the bodies had been in the forest from one to three months

Lisa Marie Mock, age 23, a Portland missing since July 1987
Maureen Ann Hodges, age 26 who vanished around the same time from Portland
Christine Lotus Adams, age 35, also of Portland
Nondace Cervantes, age 26 from Tempe, Arizona
Reatha Gayles, age 16 Portland high school student
Cynthia DeVore, age 21 also from Portland
Unidentified Jane doe, Description; Young woman, either Indian or Asian decent, missing between 1972 - 1987, most likely missing within years 1986-1987

February 20 1988, Convicted of aggravated murder (of Jennifer Smith), and sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum of 30 years to serve before consideration for parole

May 4, 1988, After five weeks of testimony and six hours of deliberation, the jury found Rogers guilty of aggravated murder on all counts, sentenced to death by lethal injection. Rogers resides on death row at the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem, OR.

Links for more info;

http://www.crimemagazine.com/molalla-forest-killer?page=3

http://books.google.ca/books?id=EZj...age&q=Lisa Mock molalla forest victim&f=false

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/rogers/index_1.html

http://or.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19920709_0041195.OR.htm/qx

Here's the NamUs casefile for the UID victim of Dayton L Rogers, including a facial reconstruction (with various hairstyles).

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10017

I've always thought that Dayton Rogers was a very interesting specimen of a serial killer, but despite my book about him and his case surprisingly few people outside of Oregon have ever heard of him. In fact, I often refer to him as "the serial killer you haven't heard of." One would think that, if for no other reason, the horrific nature of his crimes would have made him a perfect candidate for the behaviorists to study.

I've been told by a reliable source that this decedent has been ID'd as Tawnia Jarie Johnston (18), of Eugene Oregon. She was last seen in Eugene in April 1987, and her vehicle was later found abandoned in Portland. Her NamUs casefile (MP 21450) is now flagged as "Found".

7b507bf4-1c18-48b7-803a-6b4210e094b5.jpg
2dd451b6-5f9b-40d5-80a6-8a29033b9362.jpg

I've always thought that Dayton Rogers was a very interesting specimen of a serial killer, but despite my book about him and his case surprisingly few people outside of Oregon have ever heard of him. In fact, I often refer to him as "the serial killer you haven't heard of." One would think that, if for no other reason, the horrific nature of his crimes would have made him a perfect candidate for the behaviorists to study.

I too am surprised that he is not more well known. I am from Oregon/Washington and I had never heard of him until I read about him on the true crime library, I was horrified and sick for days afterwards and sometimes the images will still come to me and I am sickened all over again. He is one of the most vicious killers ever in my opinion and I wish I had never read about him at all. If I understand correctly, he was given the death penalty. The sooner this takes place, the better. There is a special place in hell waiting for him! Ugh! Those poor women!

It is good to see that Tawnia Gary Johnston has been finally identified - may she and the other victims rest in peace.

Ore. serial killer Rogers gets 4th try to avoid death
KGW Staff and Associated Press 8:55 a.m. PDT October 14, 2015

OREGON CITY, Ore. -- Dayton Leroy Rogers, Oregon's most prolific serial killer, gets a fourth chance to avoid a death penalty with a sentencing phase retrial that began Tuesday in Clackamas County Circuit Court.

Over the years, some witnesses have died. But proxy witnesses will read earlier testimony of the deceased, said Chief Deputy District Attorney Greg Horner.

Rogers was convicted in 1989 of killing six women two years earlier. Since then, the court has three times struck down death sentences imposed on him.

Prosecutors said the former Canby lawnmower repairman tortured, stabbed and mutilated his victims, dumping them in a forest near Molalla in Clackamas County. Seven victims were found at that site. One of them was finally identified in 2013.
From November 2013

"The sheriff's office named her Monday as Tawnia Jarie Johnston and said she was 18 when she was killed. Her remains were among those of seven women found at a Molalla dump site in the 1980s."

http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2014/07/26/12584892/

Dayton Leroy Rogers

Alias:
Steve Professional Gambler, Molalla Forest Murderer
Common Victim Type: Preferred street women, usually addicts, prostitutes and runaways
Disposal site: Molalla Forest, Denny's Restaurant parking lot
Car Descriptions: Blue Nissan pickup
M.O: Seclude street woman, bind victim, rape and murder. (Stabbing, Removal of feet, Disembowelment, Mutilation, Strangulation not ruled out)

Findings from Rogers' engine repair shop in Woodburn from wood stove;

5 charred belt buckles
Burned and partially burned fabric
Numerous brassiere parts
Snap fasteners
Star-shaped studs later identified as studs from victim Adams' pants
Buttons
Numerous zipper parts
Earring pieces

-----------------------------------

Rough Timeline

, Dayton Leroy Rogers was born in Moscow, Idaho.

1972, Rogers, 18 stabbed 15 year old in the abdomen with a hunting knife, due to risk of being charged with statutory rape, She survived.

February 13, 1973, Rogers pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and was placed on four years' probation for that attack.

August 1, 1973, Rogers assaults two 15-year-old girls with a soft-drink bottle. Although charged with one count each of second- and third-degree assault, Rogers was found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect, was sent to the Oregon State Hospital.

December 12, 1974, Rogers released from the hospital.

January 1976, Rogers was indicted on a charge of first-degree rape in Clackamas County, but was eventually acquitted of the charge.

February 1976, while the Clackamas County rape charge was still pending, Rogers picked up two Keizer, Oregon high school girls, and at knifepoint allegedly raped one and threatened to rape the other. roger received a maximum five-year prison sentence.

January 1983, Rogers parole was formally terminated.

July 7, 1987, Kidnaps Heather Brown, age 31, She escapes, and Reports attack to police.

August 7, 1987, Murdered Jennifer Smith, age 25, mother of two

Aug. 31, 1987, Everett Banyard was hunting in the Molalla Forest, discovers a decomposed body, at the end of the search seven bodies located in total;

Six Victims identified, One remains unidentified; The medical examiner estimated that the bodies had been in the forest from one to three months

Lisa Marie Mock, age 23, a Portland missing since July 1987
Maureen Ann Hodges, age 26 who vanished around the same time from Portland
Christine Lotus Adams, age 35, also of Portland
Nondace Cervantes, age 26 from Tempe, Arizona
Reatha Gayles, age 16 Portland high school student
Cynthia DeVore, age 21 also from Portland
Unidentified Jane doe, Description; Young woman, either Indian or Asian decent, missing between 1972 - 1987, most likely missing within years 1986-1987

February 20 1988, Convicted of aggravated murder (of Jennifer Smith), and sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum of 30 years to serve before consideration for parole

May 4, 1988, After five weeks of testimony and six hours of deliberation, the jury found Rogers guilty of aggravated murder on all counts, sentenced to death by lethal injection. Rogers resides on death row at the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem, OR.

Links for more info;

The Molalla Forest Killer Crime Magazine

http://books.google.ca/books?id=EZjlE4-1GSIC&pg=PA255&lpg=PA255&dq=Lisa+Mock+molalla+forest+victim&source=bl&ots=tUjP0M-Bli&sig=mUtmmmcIhXvqhNebcLPaoe8QX9w&hl=en&ei=js-dTsW4KdLI0AHsrrjJCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Lisa Mock molalla forest victim&f=false

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/rogers/index_1.html

http://or.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19920709_0041195.OR.htm/qx
I believe the second trial took place in 1989, kicking off on March 30th.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back