Ireland Ireland - Annie McCarrick, 26, US citizen, Dublin, 23 March 1993

Legally Bland

Reaction score
attachment.php

The frightening disappearances began in 1993, with American Annie McCarrick, a 26-year-old from upstate New York, who had gone to college in Ireland, returned their intent on absorbing the country's history and her family's heritage.

She shared an apartment with two female roommates in Sandymount, a quiet residential section of Dublin. In March 1993, Annie was eagerly awaiting a visit from her mother.

On Friday, March 26, just days before her mother was due to arrive, Annie didn't show up as expected to pick up her paycheck at work. On Saturday, when her friends arrived at her apartment for a previously arranged dinner party, there was no sign of Annie.

Annie's father, John McCarrick, said he knew immediately something was terribly wrong when her friends in Dublin called him to say they didn't know where Annie was. "She was always reaching out and touching someone. … She would never have gone a day without talking to someone. … We were very, very concerned," he said.

The McCarricks left immediately for Ireland, where the hunt for their daughter became one of the largest searches in Ireland's history.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2059587&page=1

Charley Project
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccarrick_annie.html

Wiki Page
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_McCarrick

Attachments

• IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 125
The Garda Cold Case Unit has now taken over the probe and last night it was highlighted again on RTÉ's 'Crimecall' show.

Speaking after the programme, host Philip Boucher Hayes said the appeal had generated a huge public reaction.

He added: "A large number of calls [were received] which have opened up significant lines of investigation".

Mr Boucher Hayes was unable to expand on the developments but it is understood that gardaí are now hopeful of making a breakthrough in the 23-year investigation.

Speaking on Monday's 'Crimecall', Annie's mother Nancy confessed that she believes her daughter is dead. She described Annie's disappearance as a "terrible loss" and said she now just wants to get her daughter's body back.

"It's been a long time, such a very long time. I'm pretty sure, you know, that I'll never see her again. But I guess my greatest wish would be to be able to take her home and have a grave that I could go to.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-leads-in-annie-mccarrick-probe-34599129.html

Can anyone tell me why Graham Dwyer is not a person of interest in this case? I know he would have only been 21/22(?) at this time but the sketch of the man last seen with her and his description immediately made me think of him...

The Gardai did look at many cold cases after Dwyers conviction. He isn't a suspect in this case as they already have a very good idea who killed her but they just can't prove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ireland's Vanishing Triangle - Wikipedia

Annie McCarrick, 26 of Long Island, New York, went missing on March 26, 1993. She was living in Sandymount, Co. Dublin. The last confirmed sighting of her was at a post office in Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow. However, there was an unconfirmed sighting of her outside Johnny Fox's Pub in Glencullen, County Dublin. This sighting was by a doorman of the pub who said she was with an unknown man. They left the lounge of Johnny Fox's Pub and entered the cabaret room where the unknown man paid for both of them to enter. McCarrick had invited her friend, Hilary Brady and his girlfriend, Rita Fortune to dinner at her apartment the next day. When McCarrick was not there, they contacted her parents in New York and she was reported missing. McCarrick's parents, John and Nancy McCarrick arrived in Ireland shortly after their daughter was reported missing but left after a six-month long unsuccessful search for McCarrick.[5]

April 2016
Mother of American student missing from Dublin for 23 years says she just wants a grave
original

I’m pretty sure you know that I’ll never see her again. But I guess my greatest wish would be to be able to take her home and have a grave that I could go to.
“So to find out what happened to her really would be a great gift at this point. It really would.”

“The information suggests that she was sometime here in the pub between 9pm and 11pm. It was Friday, it was the 26 March, it was 1993.

Annie loved to walk in the village of Enniskerry in Co. Wicklow. Investigators know that she took the 44 Bus from Ranelagh to Enniskerry at approximately 3.40pm. We are reasonably satisfied that her journey took her beyond Milltown, but did she reach the village of Enniskerry?
original

“Would she have walked from Enniskerry to Johnnie Fox’s on that cold, wet, miserable evening? Enniskerry is 6km away. It would have been dark. It would have possibly been between 8 and 9 o’clock when she embarked on her journey. Would Annie have walked this road?”

Oh my, very scary. rbbm

"Two suspects in her presumed death were identified in 2008. Neither of them have been publicly named, but both of them lived in the Wicklow area in 1993 and neither of them have criminal records.

A former member of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), an Irish nationalist terrorist organization, is also a suspect in McCarrick's disappearance. The man allegedly raped the twelve-year-old daughter of another IRA member and possibly other girls, and investigators believe the IRA sent him to the United States so he could escape prosecution.

Authorities stated they believe McCarrick met the IRA member at Johnnie Fox's Pub on the night of her disappearance and he murdered her. He has not been publicly identified."

• Missing Since 03/26/1993
  • Missing From Enniskerry, Ireland
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 03/27/1966 (53)
  • Age 26 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 140 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark-colored tweed jacket and oxblood-colored cowboy boots. Carrying a tan shoulder bag.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair. McCarrick has a pronounced American accent.

April 2016
Mother of American student missing from Dublin for 23 years says she just wants a grave
original

I’m pretty sure you know that I’ll never see her again. But I guess my greatest wish would be to be able to take her home and have a grave that I could go to.
“So to find out what happened to her really would be a great gift at this point. It really would.”

“The information suggests that she was sometime here in the pub between 9pm and 11pm. It was Friday, it was the 26 March, it was 1993.

Annie loved to walk in the village of Enniskerry in Co. Wicklow. Investigators know that she took the 44 Bus from Ranelagh to Enniskerry at approximately 3.40pm. We are reasonably satisfied that her journey took her beyond Milltown, but did she reach the village of Enniskerry?
original

“Would she have walked from Enniskerry to Johnnie Fox’s on that cold, wet, miserable evening? Enniskerry is 6km away. It would have been dark. It would have possibly been between 8 and 9 o’clock when she embarked on her journey. Would Annie have walked this road?”

A walk from Enniskerry to Glencullen would take 1 and a half hour. And how was she planning to get home (to Dublin) if she indeed was in the pub? If she was seen between 9 and 11 pm in a pub in Glencullen, at what time the last bus would have gone, bringing her back to Dublin? Nowadays there is a bus stop 'Johnny Fox's' in Glencullen. The last bus departs around 17 - 18 pm. I actually can't imagine the bus would go back to Dublin after 11 p.m. in 1993. Did somebody offered her a ride, offered her to stay overnight? I really wonder if she was ever in the Johnny Fox pub, that evening.

And how do investigators know that her journey took her beyond Milltown, was she seen there? in the bus?

Article from March 2013

Irish American Annie McCarrick's disappearance 20 years on, Larry Murphy still a prime suspect

McCarrick, a native of Long Island in New York, was 26 years old when she disappeared. She had studied abroad in Ireland and had returned to live and work there while she researched her family’s Irish roots.

McCarrick was sharing an apartment with two Irish girls in Sandymount, Dublin when she went missing. The American girl had been looking forward to a visit from her mother Nancy who was due to arrive just a few days after her disappearance.

On Friday, March 26, 1993, McCarrick didn’t show up to work when she was expected to be collecting wages.

The following day, her friends grew concerned when they arrived at her apartment for a previously arranged dinner party, but there was no sign of McCarrick.

McCarrick’s late father, John, had said he knew something was wrong immediately when Annie’s friends in Dublin phoned back to New York saying they didn’t know where Annie was.

“She was always reaching out and touching someone... She would never have gone a day without talking to someone… We were very, very concerned,” her father told ABC News in America.

Former Garda Commissioner Donnellan also remembers the immediate mystery that surrounded the case. “I was off at the weekend on that Friday and Saturday, and I got a call from Irishtown station that a girl had disappeared in very mysterious circumstances.”

“She was staying in a flat near Sandymount with two other girls. They were going to their homes in Cork so she was at a loose end and phoned a friend to go for a walk in Enniskerry, but her friend couldn’t go so she went off alone.”

McCarrick was reportedly seen and videoed on CCTV while at both an AIB and her local grocery store. After that, she took a bus to Ranelagh, and then to Enniskerry.

The final confirmed sighting of McCarrick came from a work colleague who saw her in a restaurant in Donnybrook. One person came forward to say they thought they had served her in the post office in Enniskerry, although this was never confirmed.

The timeline still confuses me more.
She was reportedly seen and videoed on CCTV footage while on an AIB and her local grocery store....at what time was this? Then there is stated that the final confirmed sighting came from a work colleague who saw her in a restaurant in Donnybrook. A strange way of saying. Do they mean the restaurant where Annie was working? When was she last seen/working there? And why is this so relevant, seeing her in the CCTV footage on the day she went missing, they would have an exact time? Why is this time nowhere mentioned? Also on what day did her roommates leave, when did they saw her for the last time? What was Annie's demeanor?

According to the CP file she was sighted on the 44 Bus from Ranelagh to Enniskerry, at 3:40 p.m. By whom?....the final confirmed sighting was by a co-worker.

Than she took a bus to Ranelagh.. (keep in mind they believe also that her journey took her beyond Milltown, why?) and then to Enniskenny. This is unsure, not a fact, I believe. Was there a stop over on Ranelagh? It sounds like that.

Another unconfirmed sighting of McCarrick was at Johnnie Fox’s pub in the Dublin mountains. Sam Doran, a doorman at the pub, came forward after his colleague Paul O’Reilly pointed out McCarrick’s picture in the newspapers. Doran said who he believed to be McCarrick had come to the door of the ‘Hooley Room,’ without realizing there was a cover charge.

Doran said that the woman was accompanied by a man wearing a wax jacket who paid for her cover and paid for her throughout the evening.

McCarrick was never seen leaving the pub, and the man she was reportedly with never came forward.

Another thing puzzling me. She supposedly came to the door of the Hooly Room, without realizing there was a cover charge. The cover charge was -if I remember right- 2 pounds. Annie had been there before, so how could she not know there was a cover charge, or was this just this evening. I suppose if you go on a daytrip you take money with you for eating, drinking and transport. 2 pounds doesn't seem that much to me. She worked in a restaurant so maybe her wages were not that high, but having totally nothing on you seems odd. Also she went to the Allied Irish Banks (AIB) earlier that day, (CCTV footage confirming this) Did she needed to spare the money for the bus home? And how does the doorman know the guy paid everything that night? Being at the door and not in the establishment...was he serving too?? And why nobody saw her leaving? Where was de doorman. what was he doing?

Earlier this month, a magazine based in Dublin tauted that they may have more information on the Annie McCarrick disappearance, but the notion was quickly dismissed by gardai.

Larry Murphy, a convicted rapist from Co Wicklow, remains a prime suspect in Annie McCarrick’s disappearance. Murphy was jailed for 15 years for the abduction, rape and attempted murder of a woman in February 2000. He was released in 2010 and is now believed to be living in the Netherlands. He doesn't live in Amsterdam anymore, there are articles stating he wanted to come back to Ireland.

There was widespread opposition upon Murphy's early release, and the residents of his home town, Baltinglass, announced that he would not be welcome in the village. After he was released he was considered a high risk offender and was visited by a member of the Gardaí every month.[12]

It was known that Murphy had fled the country and taken up residence in the south of Spain, where he was under surveillance by police. Shortly afterwards he moved to Amsterdam. During his time there witnesses, hitherto unaware of his past, reported that he frequented several bars but was quiet and kept to himself. He drank and smoked cannabis regularly and at times approached and attempted to strike up conversation with young women. In time the media became aware of his location and under increased scrutiny from Dutch police, Murphy fled to Spain through France.[13][14]

Living in the south of Spain, in late May 2011, Murphy's wallet and passport were allegedly stolen while engaging the services of a prostitute. This led him to consult the Spanish authorities in a bid to travel back to Ireland to obtain a new passport. As a result of his background becoming known, there was much dissention among the local population regarding his presence there. Two weeks later, after his new documents were in order, he returned to southern Spain.[13]

In November 2012 he was photographed by journalists in Amsterdam, where he was found living with a friend, a convicted double rapist. This was aired on a 60-minute exclusive episode of TV3's prime-time Midweek TV program.[15]

In January 2013, there were some local rumours (quickly spread on social media) that he had been seen in Saggart, Co. Dublin, but this was quickly denied by crime journalist Paul Williams, who stated that he was then living in Amsterdam.[16]

In June 2014, it was reported that he was living in South London under an alias, working as a carpenter.[17]

Larry Murphy (criminal) - Wikipedia

To this day, Donnellan remains perplexed by McCarrick’s unanswered disappearance: “We had always hoped that we would get the right call. It is so tragic. If people went missing in the US, you would not be surprised, but not in the island of saints and scholars.”

Last edited:
There is also this, now deceased poi..
May 23 2018
Dublin Jastine Valdez murderer could have links to Irish American cold case
The suspected murderer of 24-year-old student Jastine Valdez is having his DNA checked against other missing women cases in Ireland.
Gardaí (Irish police) are believed to be investigating the possibility that suspected murder Mark Hennessy was involved in other missing women cases in Ireland. The 40-year-old, originally from Dublin, was shot dead by armed police on Sunday evening after threatening traffic police with a knife."

"It is now reported that DNA evidence will be used to determine whether Hennessy could be linked to other cases involving missing women in Ireland, including the disappearance of Long Island native Annie McCarrick, who became a missing person in 1993 while she was living in Dublin."

resized_annie-mark-hennessy.jpg

Mark Hennessy
"Other cases that Hennessy’s DNA may be checked against include the disappearance of Fiona Pender, Deirdre Jacob, and Jo Jo Dullard."

“He would have been very young for some of the cases, for example in the case of Annie McCarrick who disappeared in 1993, he would have been only 15 years of age."

An interesting review of the case, with more details (even CCTV footage), interviews with former detectives working on the case and an interview with the doorman of Johnnie Fox pub. Some of my questions are answered, some not.

Some new elements/details;
- She was seen at the bank in cctv footage. As it seems she changed her bankmembership. For me it's unsure if she took money out, so it's possible she had little money on her.
- She made a couple of phone-calls in a phone booth. Stated by friend: One of them was about asking a (girl) friend to go with her. She wanted to go so far as the Wicklow mountains. The friend, having an ankle problem, declined.
- Annie left the just persuaded grocery's in the bags on the floor of the apartment, seemingly left in a hurry to get the bus (bus goes not that often). This seems strange. It looks like she suddenly changed plans. after the phone-calls or there had to be another trigger..maybe made an arrangement to meet up with somebody.
- She was seen by an acquaintance (somebody who knew her) in the bus. It's considered a good witness.
- Statement of roommate. She was seen by her roommate (at least one of them) who left for work between 9 and 10 am that morning.
- More about the IRA involvement theory.
- She was planning a birthday party for the next day (dinner), which was her birthday.

You should listen for yourself. I used the subtitles. Sometimes it's a little 'off' but understandable.

An interesting review of the case, with more details (even CCTV footage), interviews with former detectives working on the case and an interview with the doorman of Johnnie Fox pub. Some of my questions are answered, some not.

Some new elements/details;
- She was seen at the bank in cctv footage. As it seems she changed her bankmembership. For me it's unsure if she took money out, so it's possible she had little money on her.
- She made a couple of phone-calls in a phone booth. Stated by friend: One of them was about asking a (girl) friend to go with her. She wanted to go so far as the Wicklow mountains. The friend, having an ankle problem, declined.
- Annie left the just persuaded grocery's in the bags on the floor of the apartment, seemingly left in a hurry to get the bus (bus goes not that often). This seems strange. It looks like she suddenly changed plans. after the phone-calls or there had to be another trigger..maybe made an arrangement to meet up with somebody.
- She was seen by an acquaintance (somebody who knew her) in the bus. It's considered a good witness.
- Statement of roommate. She was seen by her roommate (at least one of them) who left for work between 9 and 10 am that morning.
- More about the IRA involvement theory.
- She was planning a birthday party for the next day (dinner), which was her birthday.

You should listen for yourself. I used the subtitles. Sometimes it's a little 'off' but understandable.
Still watching this very good video, thanks for posting it!
Annie left her groceries in a bag on the floor before she dashed back out prior to her disappearance, reminded me of Chandra Levy who dropped her clean laundry just inside her door before she went off and subsequently vanished.
Not that it is a big deal, but thinking that as a former New Yorker, Annie would be in the habit of never leaving any food on the ground.......bugs. imo, speculation.

Last edited:
Still watching this very good video, thanks for posting it!
Annie left her groceries in a bag on the floor before she dashed back out prior to her disappearance, reminded me of Chandra Levy who dropped her clean laundry just inside her door before she went off and subsequently vanished.
Not that it is a big deal, but thinking that as a former New Yorker, Annie would be in the habit of never leaving any food on the ground.......bugs. imo, speculation.

Maybe you know how girls think....."I want to see that guy but I don't want to go alone to a pub, disco or wherever where I now he is a frequent costumer"...so you ask a (girl)friend to join you....as a kind of decoy...."hé that's a coincidence....didn't know you would be here too" That's the way this goes.

Wondering if there are any pics of Annie's " oxblood-colored cowboy boots", thinking because of the association between cowboy boots and Americans, that maybe they would be the one" trophy " a killer might be unable to resist keeping.

Concerning any possible IRA connection to this case, wondering if Annie had planned to write an essay or something similar about the organization and perhaps had agreed to an impromptu meeting with one of its associates, causing her to dash off so quickly?
imo, speculation.

It always shocks me that more people didn't notice Annie in Johnie Foxes pub that night if she was there. I know the barman reports the pub as being particularly busy, but she was a tall, striking American girl. I know whenever I hear an American accent my ears prick up, just simply because it's unusual outside of Dublin city center or the major cities like Cork or Galway.

Friends and family seem quite sure she wouldn't have gone to the pub alone, even for the Hooly that was on that night. If she had planned on going to the pub to listen to music, surely she would have mentioned that to her friend Ann when she called her?

I struggle with the idea that she was meeting a secret boyfriend there, I think because of the initial phone call to the friend, it seems like she wanted to spend time with Ann. I know she could have made a second call at the phone booth but it just doesn't sit right with me, even if you are in the early stages of a relationship you still tell your friends.

It would have been dark in Dublin at around 6/7pm in March, so perhaps she wanted to walk around Enniskerry and was determined to get on the bus around 3pm so as not to miss out on those last few hours of daylight? She could have been walking when it started to get dark and accepted a lift from someone?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back