1284 users online (219 members and 1065 guests)  

Websleuths News

Australia - Kath Bergamin, 37, Wangaratta, NSW, 18 Aug 2002

New tests for Vic cold case tape restraint
    7 News/AAP
    14 minutes ago (as at 10:08AM AEST 3 October 2017)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/3731...ic-woman-case/

Police will retest a piece of duct tape in a bid to solve the case of missing woman Kath Bergamin.

‘A piece of duct tape fashioned into restraints that was found at the home of a Victorian woman who's been missing for 15 years will be retested using new DNA techniques in a bid to solve the cold case.

Kath Bergamin, 37, disappeared from her Wangaratta home on the night of August 18, 2002.

Police suspect foul play and a coroner concluded she was murdered, but her body has never been found and the killer remains a mystery.

Thanks to advances in DNA technology, forensic re-examination of duct tape found at the scene is being done in a bid to get a stronger DNA profile.

<modsnip>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greater Than; 10-06-2017 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Snipped to comply with 10% copyright rule
    Posts are my opinion/speculation with the exception of relevant source material

The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

Google search “Kath Bergamin”:

https://www.google.com.au/search?dcr...ergamin”

The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

Thanks Bo.
    I remember reading in detail about Kath's disappearance a couple of years ago. How frightening is her husband !!!

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/new...-disappearance

New avenues of enquiry, relating to DNA, a recent anonymous letter and an appeal to witnesses following the announcement of a $1 million reward last year, has led to a renewed optimism in the solving the case.
    Due to ongoing advances in DNA technology, forensic re-examination of duct tape found at the scene is being conducted in an attempt to strengthen a number of profiles already obtained from the tape years earlier.
    In April of this year, police also received a letter from an anonymous source providing intimate details of what happened to Ms Bergamin, including who was involved in her abduction and murder.
    Police urge the letter writer, and any other person who has information as to the circumstances surrounding Kath’s disappearance, to contact police.
    Victoria Police would also like to remind the community of the $1 million reward and potential indemnity from prosecution for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for the disappearance and suspected murder of Kath Bergamin.
    IMO
    Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

There was a story about Kath on Channel 7’s ‘Sunday Night’ program just recently:

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/sunday...rgamin-part-1/

https://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/sunday...rgamin-part-2/

Quote Originally Posted by symbah View Post
    Thanks Bo.
    I remember reading in detail about Kath's disappearance a couple of years ago. How frightening is her husband !!!

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/new...-disappearance

New avenues of enquiry, relating to DNA, a recent anonymous letter and an appeal to witnesses following the announcement of a $1 million reward last year, has led to a renewed optimism in the solving the case.
    Due to ongoing advances in DNA technology, forensic re-examination of duct tape found at the scene is being conducted in an attempt to strengthen a number of profiles already obtained from the tape years earlier.
    In April of this year, police also received a letter from an anonymous source providing intimate details of what happened to Ms Bergamin, including who was involved in her abduction and murder.
    Police urge the letter writer, and any other person who has information as to the circumstances surrounding Kath’s disappearance, to contact police.
    Victoria Police would also like to remind the community of the $1 million reward and potential indemnity from prosecution for information leading to the apprehension and subsequent conviction of the person or persons responsible for the disappearance and suspected murder of Kath Bergamin.
    Yep, and Kath was obviously extremely frightened of him:

HE'LL KILL ME
    The Border Mail
    JULY 31 2007 - 10:00PM

‘MISSING Wangaratta woman Kath Bergamin told her sister-in-law she had feared she would be killed by her husband before she could leave their front gate if she split with him, a coroner heard yesterday.

The evidence from Maria Russell was given on the first day of an inquest at Wangaratta Coroner’s Court, which is examining the circumstances of Mrs Bergamin’s disappearance from her home in Brien Crescent, Wangaratta, on Sunday August 18, 2002.

Mrs Bergamin had left her marital home at Cheshunt, south of Wangaratta, in May and had taken out an intervention order against estranged husband John Bergamin when she relayed her concerns to Mrs Russell in July, 2002.

“Kath ... told me that John had said to her that if she left him, she wouldn’t get further than the front gate because he would kill her,” Mrs Russell said.

“Kath did not indicate when John had actually said this to her, but from the context of the conversation I believe that this was a recent threat.

“Kath was aware that John was capable of hurting her and she was extremely frightened of him.”‘

Read more at:

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/35625/hell-kill-me/

Well it's pretty obvious to me that the police are talking directly to the letter-writer, who is her son. I hope he does the right thing. Sounds like a violent abusive arsehole has gotten away with murder for 15 years.

Police today revealed they are using advanced DNA technology to test duct tape found at the scene, along with a red sock Ms Bergamin was wearing on the night.

It is believed the tape, which was fashioned into a figure-eight, may have been used to restrain Ms Bergamin's limbs.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...ld-case-murder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Wow that a son - could do that to his own mum! Over money!
    Obviously a very dysfunctional household.
    That poor, poor lady. How she must have felt in her last minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk