1229 users online (236 members and 993 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhorses View Post
    My mom would gladly have an injured arm over her post polio syndrome.
    You are entitled to your opinion and I already said I wasn't going to debate, but you have no idea about the amount of physical pain and heartache this injury is causing me and the snipped remark is very hurtful. Sometimes I can't even wipe my own behind or pull up my pants and my 8 year old has to help his mom get dressed. Last week alone I had to take 4 sick days because of my non functional arm. And that's all the top of the iceberg.

I am sorry your mom has to deal with post polio syndrome, but in your anger about that please do not belittle me or my circumstances because I can assure you they are not fun, or minor. My injury is just as valid as hers.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Ferndale woman jailed for not vaccinating son has another hearing
    Did father have son vaccinated?

PONTIAC, Mich. - Rebecca Bredow*spent nearly a week in jail for refusing a judge's order to vaccinate her 9-year-old son.*

This past Wednesday the Ferndale woman was supposed to have the boy vaccinated, but he wasn't.*

"I take full responsibility for my actions. I would like to offer my most humble apologies and I was not trying to disobey the court's orders," she told the judge...*

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...nother-hearing

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Update: Mom loses primary custody

Ferndale mother who was jailed for not vaccinating son loses primary custody

PONTIAC, Mich. - A Ferndale woman plans to appeal a decision made during mediation in a custody suit Wednesday after she spent nearly a week in jail for refusing an order to vaccinate her 9-year-old son.

Rebecca Bredow will now split custody of the boy with her former husband, James Horne. Bredow had majority custody prior to the hearing.

"Today was supposed to be a review on vaccinations," Bredow said. "I wasn't expecting to lose primary custody today of my son. I feel a bit spun around and in shock expecting him to come home today and I'm a little upset." ...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...rimary-custody

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalyn View Post
    I am not sure what to think as my own grandson is being vaccinated, but the way it is being done is to space it out. My daughter opted for private treatment as she was very concerned about the effects of the actual vaccination as in some cases they cause autism. It is rare, but this was her fear. She was not keen to vaccinate, and in the UK it is parental choice although that choice is frowned upon. This was a good solution for someone with genuine fears. In the mean time,kids in the area are going down with scarlet fever for which there is currently no vaccine.
    Spacing out vaccinations does nothing but make parents feel better.

No wait, it could actually harm children:
    http://commonhealth.legacy.wbur.org/...g-out-vaccines

I was a hold out for the chicken pox vaccine when introduced. I refused time and time again. I was harrassed by my children's pediatrician and his Staf. I held out until it became law. I knew what Chicken pox could do. I wasn't so sure about the New vaccine. The same goes for the hpv vaccine. I have refused that as well. I agree some vaccines are needed, but I'm uncomfortable with blind compliance when it comes to the health of your children. I refuse all canine shots for my dogs as well. They do get mandatory rabies shots, but that is all.
    I feel for this mom. I can't say vaccines were connected to autism. I can't say they are not. Scientists change their minds way more often than I am comfortable with regarding what's healthy and what is not.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Michigan judge's patience tested as attorney attempts to qualify anti-vax doctor as expert
    Judge Karen McDonalds to attorney: 'I can't do your job for you'

PONTIAC, Mich. - Two cases are before Michigan judges, hearing testimony from divorced parents regarding their rights to decide if their child should be vaccinated.

Rebecca Bredow and her former husband James Horne were in court Wednesday. Bredow spent nearly a week in jail for refusing a judge’s order to vaccinate her 9-year-old son and lost primary custody.

Today, Lori Ann Matheson was in court with her former husband Ross Richard for a similar hearing. Matheson has religious objections to vaccinations and does not want their*2-year-old daughter vaccinated.*

The judge heard testimony last week and was forced to stop the mother from testifying about expert medical needs. The case continued Wednesday with testimony derailing from the focus of custody.

Matheson’s attorney called a surprise “expert” witness to the stand, giving only 24 hours of notice...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ctor-as-expert

Judge: Expert witness no expert in vaccines

Another case of divorced parents who will have the courts decide if their child will be vaccinated was adjourned Thursday after a judge ruled that an expert witness called to testify doesn’t qualify as an expert in immunizations or their possible adverse effects.

Oakland Circuit Judge Karen McDonald, who sent an Oakland County mother to jail last week because she didn’t comply with her order to have her son vaccinated, is hearing a similar case involving Lori Ann Matheson and her ex-husband, Michael Schmitt. Matheson, of Walled Lake, objects to vaccinations on religious and medical grounds, and wants time to have their 2-year-old daughter undergo genetic testing to determine if she has a medical condition that could be triggered by being vaccinated...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gener...rt-in-vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by ninij9 View Post
    I was a hold out for the chicken pox vaccine when introduced. I refused time and time again. I was harrassed by my children's pediatrician and his Staf. I held out until it became law. I knew what Chicken pox could do. I wasn't so sure about the New vaccine. The same goes for the hpv vaccine. I have refused that as well. I agree some vaccines are needed, but I'm uncomfortable with blind compliance when it comes to the health of your children. I refuse all canine shots for my dogs as well. They do get mandatory rabies shots, but that is all.
    I feel for this mom. I can't say vaccines were connected to autism. I can't say they are not. Scientists change their minds way more often than I am comfortable with regarding what's healthy and what is not.

Many times I wish that chicken pox vaccine existed before I contracted it during my sophomore year in high school, around 1982. I was very sick for a few weeks and developed some complications from having it.

I will say I am pro-vaccine, and if I had children, would make sure they all had their vaccines like I did.

Back in my day (1970's, early 1980's), a kid could not attend school without proof of being vaccinated.
    "Is this the Briscoe dame? Listen, I see that brat 'a yours with that gun packer, Jones." - The Texas Tornado, 1928

Quote Originally Posted by MaryG12 View Post
    Many times I wish that chicken pox vaccine existed before I contracted it during my sophomore year in high school, around 1982. I was very sick for a few weeks and developed some complications from having it.

I will say I am pro-vaccine, and if I had children, would make sure they all had their vaccines like I did.

Back in my day (1970's, early 1980's), a kid could not attend school without proof of being vaccinated.
    I'm confused by your statement about chicken pox vaccine not being available in 1982. My daughter was born in 1973 and was vaccinated for chicken pox. The vaccine was definitely available prior to 1982.

Most states require all public school children to be vaccinated unless parents have religious opposition and request exemption. There have been a few states that did not have the vaccination requirement (California), but I think all states currently require vaccinations prior to school admission. Many parents who choose not to vaccinate their children send them to private or parochial schools where vaccinations are not a requirement for admission.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws/sta...uirements.aspx

^ Parents who homeschool their children are also likely to oppose mandatory vaccinations for their children. Homeschooling provides another option to public school education when parents have religious, medical, or ethical reservations about childhood vaccinations.

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    I'm confused by your statement about chicken pox vaccine not being available in 1982. My daughter was born in 1973 and was vaccinated for chicken pox. The vaccine was definitely available prior to 1982.

Most states require all public school children to be vaccinated unless parents have religious opposition and request exemption. There have been a few states that did not have the vaccination requirement (California), but I think all states currently require vaccinations prior to school admission. Many parents who choose not to vaccinate their children send them to private or parochial schools where vaccinations are not a requirement for admission.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws/sta...uirements.aspx

1982 sounds a bit early - the CDC states it's been available since 1995.

Unless you're talking about an earlier, experimental one I am not familiar with.
    "Is this the Briscoe dame? Listen, I see that brat 'a yours with that gun packer, Jones." - The Texas Tornado, 1928

1982 sounds a bit early - the CDC states it's been available since 1995.

Unless you're talking about an earlier, experimental one I am not familiar with.
    Now I'm really DD graduated college in 1995. Except for Tetanus shot prior to a summer arts camp in 1989, all her childhood vaccinations were complete. Last visit to pediatrician was summer before high school when shots were completed. She never had chicken pox, and no one we knew of had chicken pox in nursery, elementary, middle, or high school (or college, for that matter). My apologies if I assumed she'd been vaccinated for chicken pox. Sorry you had to endure it in your teens. Both my brothers and I had it one right after the other, but my two sisters (one now deceased) never had chicken pox.

Understandable that you would feel this way since you had such a bad experience. But I also had chicken pox, as did my brother, cousins, friends, etc. And aside from the early fever then mad itching, we all recovered 100 percent. Maybe only the infirm needs them, like the flu shot. My point was that maybe there are some vaccines a parent should be allowed to delay, or perhaps question these super combination shots. Hey, they put Fluoride in my water (In New York), for my own good which I choose not to drink. And it tastes like crap. Some decisions are going to be mine. Also I'd like to see the stats on these vaccines, not BE the stats...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2