Stolen Car Returned, 37 Years Later

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The last time Alan Poster saw his dream car, he was young and it was blue.

A lot has changed over the decades; the look of the corvette, the look of Poster, too. But one thing held constant: Poster never stopped loving his corvette, CBS News correspondent Bill Whitaker reports.

"It's a dream. Wow, this is a beautiful model," Poster said as customs officials and others unveiled the 1968 sports car.

The once blue car is now silver, with a red interior, and it's missing some parts. But the car Poster paid $6,000 for back in 1968 is worth anywhere from $20,000 to $60,000 today, a Florida classic Corvette dealer told The Times.

Poster went on with his life, eventually moving to Northern California.

His car also ended up in California. A collector in Long Beach, Calif., was selling to a buyer in Sweden when Customs officials discovered the car's status in December. The collector isn't suspected of any wrongdoing.

Nobody knows where the car had been or how many hands it had passed through. While it appeared in perfect condition, some things had changed. It was silver with a red interior, had a different engine, lacked a gas tank, and its transmission had been stolen from another car.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/17/national/main1216695.shtml

Very cool story, but I was wondering, does he actually own the car or does the insurance company?

I just read this story and was just going to post it. :razz: You beat me to it mysteriew. :D

I think he owns it - the article said he couldn't afford to insure it against theft. Therefore no insurance company paid a claim to him on the theft.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back