GUILTY TX - Summer Baldwin, 29, raped & murdered, Lubbock, 13 Sept 2005

Former Member
Reaction score
[font=arial,sans-serif] Worker finds woman's body at city landfill
BY JASON WOMACK
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]A city sanitation worker found the body of a woman among the garbage at a city-owned landfill Tuesday morning, Lubbock police officials said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Police identified the woman as Summer Lee Baldwin, 29.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The body was found inside a suitcase atop a 10-foot-high trash pile at the West Texas Region Disposal Facility about 10:15 a.m.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"We are treating this as a homicide," Assistant Police Chief Thomas Esparza said at the landfill Tuesday afternoon.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]A steady stream of police cars and garbage trucks drove through the gates of the landfill Tuesday.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The Lubbock County Medical Examiner's Office had removed the body by early afternoon.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Police could not comment Tuesday on the condition of the body or a cause of death, deferring to the pending autopsy.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"We don't know how she died, where she died or when she died," Esparza said.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The Lubbock County Sheriff's Office first responded to the landfill Tuesday morning. The office then turned the investigation over to police.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The landfill sits on 1,240 acres about 15 miles northwest of Lubbock on FM 2528. It serves the city and 16 counties on the South Plains, often receiving between 800 and 1,500 tons of garbage daily.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Landfill Manager John Cobb said the body was likely delivered to the facility on one of the trucks that unloaded at the site Tuesday morning.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Landfill employees cover trash dumped at the landfill every night with at least 6 inches of a soil and slurry mix.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]Cobb said the refuse at the bottom of the landfill Tuesday was delivered by 40 trucks, which were all logged at the site.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"We're guessing it came off a city truck," he said. "We've had private up there and commercial up there. That's why it is a guess."[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The area where the body was found, a pile of garbage more than a hundred feet in diameter, serves as a dump site for commercial and city garbage trucks.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The trash heap sits at the bottom of a deep ravine, which is considered too dangerous for citizen use, Cobb said, pointing to the heavy machinery that pushed the garbage into large piles.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]The worker discovered the body as he sorted through the trash, searching for car batteries, tires or large pieces of metal deemed unacceptable for the landfill.[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]"Something made him look in there," Cobb said. "Otherwise it would have gone unsolved."[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif]To read the whole story go to : www.lubbockonline.com, you may have to register to view it entirely.
[/font]

The families of Joanna Rogers and Jennifer Wilkerson had a scare in waiting for the ID on this woman.

You should look at her photo. Her eyes are so sad.

Prayers for her family and friends,
Kelly

Hi... I registered on the Lubbock Online site, but didn't see a photo of her there... just a photo of the landfill / police car... do you have a link to her picture? A friend of mine who I have lost touch with, her sister's name is Summer and is about that age, lives in Lubbock, and I know she had some drug issues & problems.... the name Baldwin really rings a bell, but I just want to see her picture to rule out this being her. (She had a different last name from my friend)

This is so sad.... that poor girl & her family. :(

Kelly said:
The families of Joanna Rogers and Jennifer Wilkerson had a scare in waiting for the ID on this woman.

You should look at her photo. Her eyes are so sad.

Prayers for her family and friends,
Kelly

I tried to find any news reports about Summer missing in the first place, but didn't seem to find anything at a quick glance.

Anyone else find anything ?

I'm sorry... I don't know why it was removed... I even checked the link after I posted and it was working. Anyway.... it is a different one from the one Paradise posted.... it was an interview w/ the man who found her, and he described in detail what she looked like, and how it appeared that she died. Very, very disturbing. :( I will try and find another link that works.

richandfamous said:
the article is gone...??? what happened?

Paradise said:
http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1090

Here's a link that works, I'm not sure if it's to the same article that was previously posted.

Now they've deleted this story as well! I wonder why?!

Here is another article just posted about an hour ago.... it has some of the details of the one I first posted that was deleted - the only detail that is not in this story that was in the other deleted story is that there was a foot / toes sticking out of the suitcase when the worker came across it - and that she was nude.

WARNING - some disturbing details following

FULL STORY: http://www.klbk13.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1136

Preliminary Autopsy Released In Death of Lubbock Woman

New developments in the death of a woman found in a suitcase.
Preliminary autopsy reports determined why Summer Baldwin, 29 died. Her body was discovered Tuesday morning at a landfill in north Lubbock County.

Preliminary autopsy reports show that Baldwin was beaten to death. Witnesses say there were bruised on her head and neck.

Baldwin is the third woman whose body was discovered in the county since 2003 and the fifth woman to disappear.

The circumstances surrounding her death are still a mystery.

"She looked badly beaten," says Vence Uribe, a worker at the landfill who discovered the body. "She had bruises all around her neck, like somebody had hit her, in the back. Her face was badly deformed. Her eyes were practically sticking out of her skull."

Baldwin, along with 21-year-old Linda Trevino Carbajail and 21-year-old Cynthia Palacio, were all found inside the county. DNA evidence has linked Carbajal and Palacio to the same killer. Palacio was strangled to death in July 2003. Less than a year later, Carbajal was found on a dirt road three miles west of New Deal. She was beaten to death. Both women were believed to be prostitutes.

Assistant Police Thomas Esparza of the Lubbock Police Department says he`s heard Baldwin may have lived a similar lifestyle.

"We don`t have employment information for her," he says. "There are rumors about her being a prostitute. I can`t confirm that and I can`t deny that. We just don`t know yet."

In 2004, two more women disappeared. Joanna Rogers, 16, and Jennifer Wilkerson, 26. To date, neither woman`s body has been discovered.

Investigators say as of now, there is no hard evidence that any of the disappearances or murders are linked to Baldwin`s death. But police did confirm that they`re talking to at least one person who they think may know how she died.

Baldwin`s mother, Uvah Roback, spoke with KLBK about her questions surrounding her daughter`s death.

"We don`t know if anybody did something to her, we`re getting a lot of different input," she says. "I hear all these conflicting stories."

Robak says she saw her daughter less than a week-and-a-half ago. The family got together in New Mexico for Labor Day. She said, at the time, Baldwin seemed happy. She is Robak`s only child.

Police are still trying to track down the exact dumpster where Baldwin`s body was left. They hope that will designate an area that will help them in their investigation.

Police are also looking into Baldwin`s lifestyle, trying to figure out if it could have led to her death.

So who was the 29-year-old woman? Those that knew her say her temporary home was at a motel on the Clovis Highway. They also say she led a hard and dangerous life.

Whether the sun is up or down, many say the Sunset Motel isn`t a safe place.

jodieo said:
[font=arial,sans-serif][/font][font=arial,sans-serif]"We are treating this as a homicide," Assistant Police Chief Thomas Esparza said at the landfill Tuesday afternoon.[/font]
Okay, they found the body of a woman stuffed inside of a suitcase and they are gonna treat it like a homicide????!!!????

Anyone else besides me see the irony in his statement? Do they always have to make that same stoopid comment to appease people or what?

S

sue1017 said:
Okay, they found the body of a woman stuffed inside of a suitcase and they are gonna treat it like a homicide????!!!????

Anyone else besides me see the irony in his statement? Do they always have to make that same stoopid comment to appease people or what?

S

Yes, I noticed that also. The only reason I can think of them saying that is...it could have been accident being covered up or something, and they wanted to let everybody know that wasn't the case? It sounds kinda stupid though I think so I doubt thats the reason! Then again, I'd rather them give out any info vs. none.

SimonSays said:
Hi... disregard previous message.... I found a link w/ a photo, and it's not her. She does look so sad... very haunting eyes. :( She was very beautiful.

I wonder how they ID'd her so quickly?

Photo & details ***** WARNING **** disturbing details. :(

http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1088

I think this may be the article, sometimes they move them.

http://www.kamc28.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1092

They also haven`t ruled out a connection to past unsolved murders. Cynthia Palacio, 21, and Linda Trevino Carbajal, 21, both prostitutes according to authorities, were found dead on dirt roads in Lubbock County. Palacio was strangled in July 2003, while Carbajal was beaten in April 2004. DNA results have linked the two murders to the same killer.

Meanwhile, Joanna Rogers, 16, and Jennifer Wilkerson, 26, are still missing one year after disappearing.

"I know a couple of bodies were found deceased in the city on dirt roads," says Esparza. "We`re looking into similiarites ... I don`t know. I really don`t."

She does look sad and she looks tired and stoned. She was so young but she looks much older.
I wonder if the other 2 women who they found in the landfill were also known to live similiar "lifestyles".

Sorry I wasn't able to get back yesterday on this, right after I posted this our internet crashed. Go figure.
I wasn't sure if this was the right forum for this or not.

Pook, I searched here locally for a missing persons report also, I believe, from what the news reports say, that with the lifestyle she was leading no one even knew she was missing.

Simonsays, is your friends name Heather?

When I first heard this on our news and they said her name was Summer it worried me, one of my dearest friends in middle and high school was a Summer and the age is right one the dot. When we grew up she got into a life of alchohol and drugs and the last I heard from her was in '99 when she was going up north somewhere to live with a guy she met at a bar. The picture even bears a resemblence to the girl I knew, until the news said her mother's name this morning I wasn't sure if it was her or not.

One question, did they search the trash that was in the general vicintity of the body for clues to the general location of the dumpster it may have come from? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

My husband and I both think that we might have a serial killer in town, with all of the girls turning up missing or beaten to death. This is just speculation on our part and I truly hope that this is not the case. We see a pattern though and the 2 previous girls murders have been linked by DNA evidence.

No, her name is Lanette. :)

I hope there isn't a serial killer there either, but you're right.... there does seem to be a pattern starting. :(

jodieo said:
Simonsays, is your friends name Heather?

When I first heard this on our news and they said her name was Summer it worried me, one of my dearest friends in middle and high school was a Summer and the age is right one the dot. When we grew up she got into a life of alchohol and drugs and the last I heard from her was in '99 when she was going up north somewhere to live with a guy she met at a bar. The picture even bears a resemblence to the girl I knew, until the news said her mother's name this morning I wasn't sure if it was her or not.

http://www.kamc28.com/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=1095

Rodriguez, a Marine reservist, is charged with murder, but could face capital murder charges.

Baldwin was five weeks pregnant and sources say she wasn`t sure who the father was.

That was some pretty fast police work, getting the survailance camera tapes from the Walmart and matching the bar code on the suitcase.

This would be an excellent case for that "48 hours" show!

Okay guys, I haven't read the local stuff yet, so forgive me if you already have read this. From the news this morning, they had the guy on tape from a 7-11 store with Summer at 11 pm Sunday night where a friend of Summer's placed them together and the Wal-Mart around 1 am where he purchased the suitcase. The dumpster he put her in is exactly one block behind the junior high that my oldest attends and 3 blocks from the elementary that my youngest attends. I don't care what kind of lifestyle she was leading, no one deserves what he did to her and I hope he pays dearly.
I don't think he is linked to the 2 previous murders, different mo, they were just dumped along dirt roads outside of town. But, they were also beaten to death, strangled, and nude when found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back