Kelly Clarkson Won't Let "Idol" Use Her Songs

It sounds to me from the article that she's got personal problems with Simon and maybe others.

I think I remember hearing that Clay had to sue AI to get out of some contracts. I read somewhere that AI practically ownes these folks for something like 10 years and they get an enourmous percentage.

Clay Aiken also broke away from American Idol entirely. Given the way the show is run and the way they control the singer's careers after they leave, I don't blame them for wanting to get away from the shows octopus-like arms. It's a real joke in the music industry how vice-like the contract is. Not to mention the producers have no taste in music, whatsoever, lol. And in this case, Kelly doesn't let anyone use her music, not just AI.

As an artist I can understand wanting to keep your work your own. She did get her start there. I remember when she started out there with just her voice. Bad hair,clothes and overweight (or Simon kept saying.) I also believe they do own the rights to the stuff she did while on Idol. Or I am taking a guess they do. The stuff she does on her own maybe different. It's still odd that she would not let them use her work. Most singers are flattered!

I just read this myself, I just think she's trying to distance herself from Idol, you know, she's doing her own thing now and doesn't want her songs to be performed by others on Idol.

Although, like Simon said in the article, without IDOL she probably wouldn't be making any albums.

Okay, I reread it and can see what you guys are talking about. I think the Simon that is referred to in this (as far as her first Manager) was Simon Fuller, the creator of AI, not Simon Cowell. The other Simon probably said the other things. I guess I can see it both ways...1) AI does try to control it's winner and the artist may not want their songs sung by others but I also have to view it that they probably wouldn't be where they are now, if it weren't for AI. Goes both ways. I can see it both.

2XL said:
I think I remember hearing that Clay had to sue AI to get out of some contracts. I read somewhere that AI practically ownes these folks for something like 10 years and they get an enourmous percentage.
Remember that really gifted guy on there last year..I think his name was Mario. Anyways, he dropped out of the competition before he got to the top so he could explore his career without all of those restrictions.

I don't blame her for not allowing it.... she has fulfilled her contract to them, and she doesn't owe them anything else.

SimonSays said:
I don't blame her for not allowing it.... she has fulfilled her contract to them, and she doesn't owe them anything else.

I agree...she's a million times more talented than Simon, Paula & Randy put together and she would have likely made it on her own had she pursued it without AI.

bakerprune64 said:
Remember that really gifted guy on there last year..I think his name was Mario. Anyways, he dropped out of the competition before he got to the top so he could explore his career without all of those restrictions.
And how well has he done? (Seriously, I don't know!):cool:

life ALWAYS COMES full circle MS KELLY CLARKSON

don't bite the hand that fed you in the first place little spoiled wrench.

People shouldn't be 'owned' by other people. :(

Cowel will do anything for publicity, so he's running with this. there were negotiations going on (so Clarkson and others would get paid for their song(s) being used, no doubt). i'm sure that bag of wind knew that. just opened his mouth to be heard. again. :rolleyes:

If they made me sing some of those cheesy songs they force the contestants to choose from, I'd bolt too! FAST! :p

I must admit, she is great but she probably would not be where she is with the backing band and promotions that came about due to the money and exposure from idol, no matter how talented she is. The business does not work on talent alone, from what I have read, and it seems to be one of the hardest businesses to break into, especially if you don't know someone. Look at all the talented (well, and some not-so-talented) people who were in the top 10 each year on idol. Do you ever hear from them again?

I love Kelly Clarkson. ALL of her songs are awesome!
She will always be the first American Idol, no matter how successful she becomes. She should view that as an honor, not a disgrace.
American Idol is one of the most popular shows.
I wish I was in her shoes! She's incredible and very blessed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back