754 users online (85 members and 669 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australia - Dr. John Forster, 58, Diamond Creek, Vic, 7 Oct 2017

Police search for missing academic Dr John Forster near Sugarloaf Reservoir
    ANDREA HAMBLIN, Herald Sun
    an hour ago (as at 15:01 AEST 9 October 2017)

John Forster is missing. Picture: Victoria Police

‘A LARGE-scale search of bushland and walking tracks is underway to find a university academic who has disappeared northeast of Melbourne.

Police have found a car belonging to Professor John Forster at Sugarloaf Reservoir in Christmas Hills, about 35km northeast from Melbourne’s CBD.

Dr Forster, 58, was last seen at his Diamond Creek home about 10am Saturday.’

Read more at:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/n...d135a4f20ade70
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Posts are my opinion/speculation with the exception of relevant source material

The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

Map of Sugarloaf Reservoir:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...0456754b38d4d0
    Attached Images Attached Images

The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

The wife of Professor John Forster believes her husband may have become lost in dense bush while out for a walk at the weekend. Ms Forster said he was a fit and outdoorsy man and it was possible he could have gone for a walk around Sugarloaf Reservoir, though he was not known to go to the area.

Mr Forster was last seen at his Diamond Creek home about 10am on Saturday when Ms Forster and the couple’s two sons left to attend a dentist appointment.

He was not home when they returned.

Ms Forster said her husband had an old Nokia mobile phone but did not use it regularly and he was not carrying his wallet.

“This is very much out of character,” Ms Forster said of the disappearance. “It didn’t appear to be a planned visit (to the reservoir).

“He would normally stick to the path ... but John can easily walk 5 to 6km in an hour, so he’s not a slow walker.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...d135a4f20ade70

They ramped up the search today. I was in Diamond Creek on Saturday, I hope they find him.

How odd to go for a walk and not mention it to family if they were just going to dentist. He studies I think plant and animal genetics - would that take you looking for anything in the bush I wonder. Poor man hope he is found safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I often take day trips or go for walks without telling family. Maybe I should start telling someone where I am going?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleKindred View Post
    I often take day trips or go for walks without telling family. Maybe I should start telling someone where I am going?
    The report said his phone was an old Nokia model - not great for Locating him I wouldn’t think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Search for missing Vic academic continues
    7 News/AAP
    4 hours ago (as at 12:46 AEST 11 October 2017)

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/3742...mic-continues/

The search for a missing Melbourne academic who has not been seen in four days is continuing.

Diamond Creek man and La Trobe University Professor John Forster, 58, was last seen at his home on Saturday but police found his car later that night at Sugarloaf Reservoir, 20km away.

Extensive land, air and water searches have failed to find any sign of the man.’

His wife is saying the visit to Sugarloaf was unplanned.
    its a really odd scenario this one. Maybe he went there on a whim due to some research or professory stuff, didn't tell his family as he was planning to be home soon after dental appointment finished and he's gotten into trouble he hasn't been able to get out of.- fall/break/snake.

Oh dear, this is not looking good for Dr. Forster. I hope he is found as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleKindred View Post
    Yes, of course you should. Just let your nearest and dearest know where you'll be, when you expect to leave there and when you expect to arrive home: "going to X, plan to leave by 4pm, should be home by 5." The one time out of a hundred things don't go to plan, so much better the chance you'll be found and reunited with your loved ones. Just do it.

I hope they find him, have they used search dogs? Wondering if police are losing faith in search and cadaver dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi50 View Post
    I hope they find him, have they used search dogs? Wondering if police are losing faith in search and cadaver dogs.
    I think air-scenting or trailing dogs can have mixed success when searching for a missing person due to prior contamination of the environment by human searchers. Not so blood sniffing and cadaver dogs, it seems, which seem to have more success in the case of foul play:

Science of sniffer dogs: Meet the canines that can smell two-year-old blood
    OPINION
    THE CONVERSATION BY LATARA RUST AND SHARI FORBES, UTS
    FRI 18 AUG 2017, 5:09 PM AEST

It's difficult to contemplate the tragedy of losing a loved one and never knowing what happened to them.

Every year, an estimated 38,000 people go missing in Australia. While almost 95 per cent of these individuals are found relatively quickly, 5 per cent become long-term missing persons cases, with many suspected victims of foul play.

British toddler Madeleine McCann disappeared in 2007 on a family holiday in Portugal, and has never been found.

Sniffer dogs in this case initially assisted in locating blood samples found in the holiday home.

However, the use of canines has attracted controversy due to misunderstandings about the sensitivity of dogs to reliably find evidence through scent at a crime scene.

But our recent research shows that for sniffing out blood, dogs are one of the best investigative screening tools for expediting crime scene searches.’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...-blood/8821050
    Last edited by Bohemian; 10-12-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Good article here..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...d135a4f20ade70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMO...

Missing Vic academic search scaled back
    Daily Telegraph
    Australian Associated Press
    October 13, 2017 2:06pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...9416b3174d2154

‘The search for a Melbourne professor who disappeared on the weekend has been scaled back, police say.

Diamond Creek man and La Trobe University academic John Forster, 58, was last seen at his home on Saturday but police found his car later that night at Sugarloaf Reservoir, 20km away.

Water police and the air wing were still searching the reservoir area for the missing academic on Friday, almost a week after he was last seen, but the rest of the search has been scaled back.’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast