Race: White
Age Now: 15
Sex: Female
Weight: 118 lbs (54 kg)
Hair: Blonde
Missing From: LIVERMORE, CA
United States

Circumstances:
Kayla may still be in the local area. She has a birthmark above her left ankle.

Contact Information:
ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
Livermore Police Department (California) 1-925-371-4987
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST)

NCMEC POSTER

Police Concerned About Missing Girl Originally Considered A Runaway

Jan. 18, 2006

Livermore police are trying to find a missing 15-year-old girl, and they're asking the public for help.

Police say Kayla Reed was last seen by her mother at their Livermore home on December 3 last year.

They say originally she was reported as a runaway, but she has made no attempt to contact friends or family, so police say she is now considered a missing person.

If you have any information, you're urged to call the Livermore police department.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=3823029

Trent Reed of Stockton admits to having distant relationship with daughter

Updated: 01/18/2006

LIVERMORE - The father of missing Livermore teen Kayla Reed said he had not been notified of his daughter's disappearance and only learned of the case when his mother heard it mentioned on the radio.

Trent Reed of Stockton admits to having a distant relationship with 15-year-old Kayla, who disappeared from her home sometime after 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3, and was reported missing two days later. ``I've seen her eight or 10 times in her entire life,'' he said on Wednesday. ``The last time I saw her was a year and a half ago.'' Reed expressed disappointment in Kayla's mother and police for not getting in touch with him.

<SNIP>

Kayla had an account with myspace.com, an online networking site, officials said. A Web page that appears to be hers shows it was last accessed on Dec. 2, the day before she vanished.

The title of the page is ``take me away.''Sweeney said he didn't believe the page had generated any worthwhile leads. Sgt. Jim Conley said that in missing person cases, police generally look for some sort of trail - whether it be credit card purchases or phone calls - to follow.

One of the things we do with missing teens is try and track e-mails,'' he said. Many of them have cell phones.''

Kayla, however, did not have a cell phone and has made no attempt to e-mail or call family or friends, officials said.

Continued:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivalleyhera...news/ci_3415257

This girl wasn't reported for 2 days after she disappeared??? I wonder why.
Did LE check her emails to see if she had been online with one of those perverts? I hope they checked that out.

I hope that she is found soon and that she is alright. Her dad sure doesn't impress me much. Obviousy he hasn't been a part of her life. Wonder if he pays child support. Also wonder what her relationship is like with her mom.

I won't be surprised to learn that she left with someone. She left after midnight.

Kayla Reed was found deceased on January 10th. Her body has just been identified

She was found in a canal, and had been in it for weeks.

This scares the HECK out of me... what happened to DNA testing?

Authorities identified Kayla by comparing a picture of her smiling to the teeth of the found body, Krull said. A torso X-ray was also used to establish her identity.

Authorities have not yet determined how Kayla died, Krull said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/13682050.htm

fourboys said:
Trent Reed of Stockton admits to having distant relationship with daughter

Updated: 01/18/2006

LIVERMORE - The father of missing Livermore teen Kayla Reed said he had not been notified of his daughter's disappearance and only learned of the case when his mother heard it mentioned on the radio.

Trent Reed of Stockton admits to having a distant relationship with 15-year-old Kayla, who disappeared from her home sometime after 12:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3, and was reported missing two days later. ``I've seen her eight or 10 times in her entire life,'' he said on Wednesday. ``The last time I saw her was a year and a half ago.'' Reed expressed disappointment in Kayla's mother and police for not getting in touch with him.
http://www.insidebayarea.com/trivalleyhera...news/ci_3415257
I wonder if he was paying child support, or if there was any thing in process about child support.
I wonder why LE didn't didn't contact the father. Were they discretely watching him, or did they just not bother, since it was only a runaway teen?
Another question would be, why wasn't she reported missing for two days. That is pretty suspicious in itself.
And did anyone else notice that suddenly LE switched from a runaway, to a missing person on the 18th and the body is found on the 21st? Sounds like someone is talking to LE. Someone who knows what happened, either directly or indirectly.

(CBS 13) LIVERMORE “She talks to older guys on Myspace,” said Kena Roberts, Kayla’s friend.

~snip~

Kayla’s friends say that Kayla spent a lot of time on the computer. Police say that they are investigating the link between her death and a personal webpage she created at myspace.com where she had posted pictures of herself.

http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_023035919.html

I certainly don't want to start a war or anything but these myspace episodes are becoming too frequent and too overwhelming with the consequences. Parents please limit your children...this could save their lives.

concernedperson said:
I certainly don't want to start a war or anything but these myspace episodes are becoming too frequent and too overwhelming with the consequences. Parents please limit your children...this could save their lives.
I agree...amazing how many missing/murdered persons seem to have had one--the under 16's who sy they are 16. Never even heard of this myspace until i joined WS. Scary.

chicoliving said:
(CBS 13) LIVERMORE “She talks to older guys on Myspace,” said Kena Roberts, Kayla’s friend.

~snip~

Kayla’s friends say that Kayla spent a lot of time on the computer. Police say that they are investigating the link between her death and a personal webpage she created at myspace.com where she had posted pictures of herself.

http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_023035919.html
I was wondering. does not one have to be a signed up member to participate on the " my space " website, I would think that you would have to be a member to make post and have access to the site content. If that is the case, it is a good chance that the person that did this is also a member of the myspace website.

There is a good article on MSNBC about the dangers of teenagers putting too much information on their myspace blogs, with some good tips for parents:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11064451/

I don't know if it would have changed anything, but it seems that somebody dropped the ball on Kayla's disappearance. If the mother did not report it until the 5th, that was one delay. Then, since she was classified as a runaway, it appears that LE was not overly concerned at first. Her missing posters were not sent out until Jan. 10th. Why did it take so long to classify her as missing? This is the same day her body was found, the 10th. Then on Jan. 18th, 8 days later, the LE starts asking for help. It took until the 21st to identify her. The timing for all this seems strange.

The NVFC has a blog about these problems in getting her information out:
http://nvfc.us/blog/?p=124

My favorite topic: my space. :(
I am really worried about that site and what it is doing to young adults.

I am hoping to get them to at least have some awareness on their site in free advertising about missing persons cases. I will see their execs at a conference in two weeks, as well as other internet execs. Hopefully, we can get a network of free public service announcements on the web.

Prayers for Kayla's family. I hope they can get some answers. And I hope they pay better attention to the rest of their family from this point forward and take a more active role in each other's lives. :(

LIVERMORE - Several months after the body of missing Livermore teen Kayla Reed was found in a Tracy canal, her mother left the Tri-Valley and police do not know for sure where she is.

Livermore Police Department investigators have spoken to the slain girl's father only a few times since the girl's death more than a year ago, and believe he is not very interested in their search for her killer.

The only contact police have with Kayla's family is with the mother's siblings.

Nevertheless, the investigation continues. There have been no breaks lately, but police remain hopeful.

"We've had a pretty good idea about what happened in this case and we've been moving forward and heading in the direction of making arrests," Lt. Scott Trudeau said Wednesday.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/16699880.htm

This makes me so sad. I do not understand how a parent wouldn't even care about justice for their child. It just isn't good, isn't good at all.

I am thankful that Kayla is in a better place and I hope that her murderer(s) are brought to justice very soon.

Angelmommy said:
This makes me so sad. I do not understand how a parent wouldn't even care about justice for their child. It just isn't good, isn't good at all.

I am thankful that Kayla is in a better place and I hope that her murderer(s) are brought to justice very soon.

That makes me feel like crying and screaming at the same time. How could her mom not keep in contact with LE and that sperm donar is about worthless. Whether he had any contact with Kayla during her life time he is still her father and he should care darn it. I don't know why her mother left town but she should have the decency to keep in contact with LE. There will be a trial one of these days and she should be in that court room as a voice for her daughter. I wonder what Kayla's home life was like. Doesn't sound there was anyone to lean on does it?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachel1987
Back