1396 users online (188 members and 1208 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Interested Bystander View Post
    Whether it be pro bono or pro Deo, the outcome for the client is the same – the lawyer will provide his services for free, or in some cases at a reduced rate. The only difference between the two is the reason for doing so. Pro Deo means that the lawyer will do it as a duty he owes to God rather than the fact that it's mandated by a law or law society.

Clearly Judge Desai is a religious man as this term is not commonly used. Equally, it is clear, IMO, that Botha worships at the money altar.

Thank you JJ for tweets.

IB, I've carried over your post #1434 from the last thread

"I am sure HVB would be given Legal Aid if his Counsel drops out. I was thinking more that HvB would likely obfuscate in order to prolong his bail by not accepting the lawyers he was being offered but maybe he has to accept whoever is prepared to do the work. Is he allowed any choice in the matter and can he drop them if he is not satisfied with the standard of the defence they provide?"

If his counsel drop out, everything is out of Henri's hands. The Legal Aid Board will appoint one or more counsel to act for him, and he has no say whatsoever in who is chosen to represent him.

Should he decide he doesnít like the person/s chosen, he canít just fire them. He would need to have a very good reason, e.g. incompetence, and the judge will decide if the reason is sufficient. This is not a decision that is taken lightly.

IMO if Botha or Combrink withdrew at this late stage due to lack of funds, with only 2 expert witnesses left to testify, in my eyes it would be proof they are morally bankrupt.

Thanks JJ. I tend to think if HvB's lawyers withdraw now it is because they no longer wish to be associated with losing the case. It can only have a few days left to run (as long as B doesn't drag it out any longer). After all, it is B and C who have caused this case to have dragged on for so long (I thought Desai made it clear yesterday that he puts the blame at their feet). One would think somebody's conscience ought to come to bear on the matter.

Hi IB. All I can say is that over the course of my entire working career, I've never heard of a barrister withdrawing from a case when it becomes apparent they will lose. They all lose cases on a regular basis, obviously. When they do and they think the verdict was wrong, they appeal. That's the way it is.

JJ, I am sure you know best. I have no legal experience, as you know, just gut feelings.

I guess B doesn't want to allow time for Galloway to cross examine Dr O and the money is a red herring. I really do think, at this stage in the proceedings, and given that B and C have made a killing from this case, that they should see it through. If they opt out it says to me that the problem is more than just the money.

I do think winning this case seems to be more an ego trip for B and C rather than a giving the accused a fair defence. I see B as being prepared to be less than honest in order to get a murderer off the hook; much like Roux did in the OP case. To me that is unacceptable. Of course, I view this as a bystander with no depth of legal knowledge whereas you do have a great deal of expertise to rely on.

OOOPs, in my post above. I should have said in line 1 of para 3 "I do think winning this case seems to be an ego trip for B and C rather than just giving the accused a fair defence."

I came across this today. Nothing new but with a link to salient points re the case by Anthony Molyneux

Anthony Molyneaux‏ @AJGMolyneaux Oct 9

Here’s a video recap of the state’s case against Henri #VanBreda if you’re interested.

http://content.jwplatform.com/previe...hOEG3-oCqBX9WR

Another find today:-

Cape {Town} Etc‏
    @CapeTownEtc

Our brand new #VanBreda special section. Get up to speed with what's going on: http://bit.ly/2ydvJX0

O/T: I have been following another SA trial going on about a prominent businessman and real estate mogul, Jason Rohde. He has been charged with the murder of his wife, Susan, 45. She was found hanged in the bathroom of their hotel room at the Spier Wine Estate in Stellenbosch on July 24. The couple had been attending Sotheby’s annual conference.

Her death was initially thought to be a suicide, but a post mortem found foul play may have been involved. Reggie Perumal is involved in the case.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...death-20171012

If you would like to catch up, here are all the news reports on News24:
    http://www.news24.com/Tags/People/jason_rohde

Quote Originally Posted by ApplesInMyBra View Post
    O/T: I have been following another SA trial going on about a prominent businessman and real estate mogul, Jason Rohde. He has been charged with the murder of his wife, Susan, 45. She was found hanged in the bathroom of their hotel room at the Spier Wine Estate in Stellenbosch on July 24. The couple had been attending Sothebyís annual conference.

Her death was initially thought to be a suicide, but a post mortem found foul play may have been involved. Reggie Perumal is involved in the case.

Hi Apples. Prime and I have also been following this trial and she's going to open a new thread for it. In the meantime, I'll collect all the tweets from court and will post them across when the thread is open. Yesterday (Day 2) was quite an eye opener. I hope you and others here will join in.

Posting the tweets from 3 simultaneous trials may be a bit challenging, but we'll get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeJudi View Post
    Hi Apples. Prime and I have also been following this trial and she's going to open a new thread for it. In the meantime, I'll collect all the tweets from court and will post them across when the thread is open. Yesterday (Day 2) was quite an eye opener. I hope you and others here will join in.

Posting the tweets from 3 simultaneous trials may be a bit challenging, but we'll get it done.

Interesting story! Have been following news stories. Look forward to following on websleuths. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hag View Post
    Interesting story! Have been following news stories. Look forward to following on websleuths. Thanks
    That's great. We have a lovely group of members here and SA time seems to suit the Aussies and the Brits. I hope others join in too. Meanwhile, Apples' links will give everyone a chance to familiarise themselves with the story. It's fascinating. I loved reading the pathologist's testimony. He certainly had very harsh words to say about Reggie Perumal.

Quote Originally Posted by ApplesInMyBra View Post
    O/T: I have been following another SA trial going on about a prominent businessman and real estate mogul, Jason Rohde. He has been charged with the murder of his wife, Susan, 45. She was found hanged in the bathroom of their hotel room at the Spier Wine Estate in Stellenbosch on July 24. The couple had been attending Sothebyís annual conference.

I read somewhere today that Perumal actually has been accused of misleading the court. If that were to be true it could spell trouble for the HvB trial.
    Last edited by Interested Bystander; 10-13-2017 at 12:43 PM.

https://www.msn.com/en-za/news/featu...old/ar-AAtnvCV

"But Dr Coetzee-Khan noted several issues with Perumal's findings and found certain sections "deliberately misleading" and vague."

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast