1008 users online (108 members and 900 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1322
    Quote Originally Posted by L2L View Post
    10 murder cases that gripped South Africa in 2017.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...ed-sa-in-2017/

Amongst others, HvB.
    Thanks L2L. I'm familiar with a couple of those cases but it was Jason Rohde that caught my attention. Head over to the thread for some interesting news.

Here’s a small but fascinating insight into the arrogance and insolence of HvB. I’ll paraphrase as I don’t want to breach any copyright laws but it’s from Nick van der Leek’s book Diablo: Van Breda.

Nick was sitting downstairs in the media section, almost an arm’s length from Galloway and mere metres from HvB who was in the dock. Court adjourned for the day and Nick, using his phone, tried to snap a quick pic of HvB but he moved away too quickly. As he passed Nick’s shoulder, he felt a firm push. He turned to see if there was an innocent reason for HvB pushing him, and as he turned he locked eyes with HvB who said, “Are you a man or a mouse?”, a quote from Nick’s book Indefensible. Nick was bemused that he’d read his book as it had only been released a few days earlier. He was befuddled at HvB throwing his words back at him and he asked himself, “How does one respond to an alleged axe murderer brazenly bumping and sniping at you in court?” He was angered at HvB’s brazenness and was infuriated. “In fact, I’m suddenly so agitated, I want to hit someone”.

RSBM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I was just ruminating over the order in which the family was attacked.

All along I've been thinking that his biggest grudge/jealousy was with Rudi. But then we hear that Martin had cut off his allowance and was coming down on HvB about his lifestyle etc.
    I’ve been thinking about this too but I still feel that Rudi was the target and the others collateral damage.

I agree it’s entirely feasible that HvB decided to take revenge on his father for cutting his allowance. However Rudi was due to return to Australia shortly to continue studying towards his Master's degree at university. If Martin was the target, it would have been far less risky had he waited until Rudi had left SA.

However, it’s the argument, which I believe was only between the brothers, that makes me feel that Rudi was the target, coupled with the fact that Rudi sustained the most severe injuries. The argument was obviously very prolonged and heated as it was heard by the neighbour.

In his Initial Statement he said, “My father then went to bed at about 21:00 and myself and Rudi went to bed 23:00”.

However, in his Plea Explanation this changed to “After dinner, Rudi, my dad and I watched a movie, Star Trek 2. … After the movie, Rudi, dad and I said goodnight”.

The movie runs for 1hr 53 mins and this immediately causes a problem for version 1 as the movie had to start at approx. 9:00 in order to finish at 11:00. However the neighbour Stephanie Op’T Hof said at about 10pm she first heard loud and aggressive men’s voices that sounded like an argument that continued until after midnight (she went to sleep at 12:10). This ties in perfectly with the length of the movie. HvB obviously had to shift the viewing time back as the argument was heard starting at about 10:00. Hence version 2 deletes the times and “after dinner” is substituted in lieu.

OH was a very credible witness who refused to budge from her statement that she heard what sounded like an argument even though HvB said what she heard was the movie soundtrack, but OH said the movie has music and she heard none that night.

If Martin did in fact retire at 9:00pm, he was probably asleep 10:00. That only left HvB and Rudi to engage in an argument. If their voices were loud enough to be heard by OH, that may have been the reason why Teresa left her bedroom and called out, “What’s going on?” which is a typical comment a parent would make to arguing children. This makes more sense to me than Teresa calling out after the attacks had commenced on Rudi and Martin. If two people had been brutally attacked with an axe, I’m sure the sounds would have been very, very different and far more alarming and terrifying than to justify “What’s going on”. The fact that both Teresa’s and Marli’s legs were pointing towards the boys’ bedroom, and Teresa was found face down, suggests to me that upon seeing what was happening in the bedroom, they both turned and tried to flee but were then attacked.

After being reprimanded, the boys may then have ceased arguing and retired to their bedroom. In his Initial Statement HvB said they were both on their laptops. He didn’t say, “I was on my laptop and I think Rudi was too”. He specifically stated that Rudi was on his laptop for 15-20 minutes and then went to sleep. This was proven to be an outright lie as Rudi’s laptop wasn’t found in the bedroom. We always have to be on our guard and not to take everything he says at face value.

He’s a pathological liar.

The owners of the guesthouse where he was living didn't recognise him. He told them his parents live in Australia and he was just visiting Cape Town.

https://www.news24.com/You/Archive/o...urder-20170728
    Last edited by JudgeJudi; 12-29-2017 at 09:19 AM.

One of the fascinating aspects of this trial was the defence expert witnesses.

a) First we had the DNA expert Olckers whose credibility was severely undermined by both Galloway and Desai. Amongst other things

• She only prepared her “independent” report after hearing the testimonies of the State’s witnesses
    • Had never done a proficiency test
    • Had never worked in a forensic laboratory
    • Had never used either Luminol or Blue Star which were used by the State in their forensic DNA analysis of samples
    • Had no statistician in her consulting company even though statistics are vital to determining probability of matches when it comes to DNA

b) Next up was neurosurgeon Dr Mike du Trevou who said that

• It couldn’t be ruled out that HvB had made up his story that he lay passed out at the bottom of the stairs for 2hrs 40 mins
    • HvB hadn’t told him about this

c) Also on the defence list of expert witnesses were

• Pathologist, Dr Reggie Perumal
    • Ballistics expert, Cobus Steyl
    • Psychologist, Elspeth Burke

Surprise, surprise ... none of these experts were called. One doesn't need to be a genius to understand why.

d) And finally we were treated to the know-it-all expert on all things relating to epileptic seizures and beyond, Dr James Butler, who repeatedly stressed that he wasn’t biased.

• When Galloway described HvB’s interrogation as fragmented but sand that in court he told a different story with details from what he wore to what he ate, Butler agreed that the court could discount the strength of that evidence
    • Butler had an excuse for everything that HvB said he did or didn’t do, and all these diagnoses were 2 years 9 months after the murders.

The State had excellent expert witnesses, especially DNA expert Lt-Col Otto, bloodspatter expert Capt. Joubert, and Dr Tiemensma who were all grilled mercilessly by Botha and did a superb job.

We're almost ready to cross the finishing line.

Then all we have to do is that Desai agrees and locks this obnoxious psychopath away for a long, long, long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeJudi View Post
    Here’s a small but fascinating insight into the arrogance and insolence of HvB. I’ll paraphrase as I don’t want to breach any copyright laws but it’s from Nick van der Leek’s book Diablo: Van Breda.

Nick was sitting downstairs in the media section, almost an arm’s length from Galloway and mere metres from HvB who was in the dock. Court adjourned for the day and Nick, using his phone, tried to snap a quick pic of HvB but he moved away too quickly. As he passed Nick’s shoulder, he felt a firm push. He turned to see if there was an innocent reason for HvB pushing him, and as he turned he locked eyes with HvB who said, “Are you a man or a mouse?”, a quote from Nick’s book Indefensible. Nick was bemused that he’d read his book as it had only been released a few days earlier. He was befuddled at HvB throwing his words back at him and he asked himself, “How does one respond to an alleged axe murderer brazenly bumping and sniping at you in court?” He was angered at HvB’s brazenness and was infuriated. “In fact, I’m suddenly so agitated, I want to hit someone”.
    Glad to see he is checking out opinions.

I do hope he reads here, and notices there isn't one moominballoomin in sight.

Great posts JJ.

How many days now let's see...44, the count down has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    Glad to see he is checking out opinions.

I do hope he reads here, and notices there isn't one moominballoomin in sight.

Great posts JJ.

How many days now let's see...44, the count down has begun.
    I bet he spent a lot of time on the internet reading as much news and comments as possible. It could only enhance how he approached and tailored his answers to fit in with the evidence that was presented by the State.

I hope he didn't read here because we discussed things before they were raised in court and gave him time to think up plausible answers to questions Galloway might raise.

Tortoise, I found something that you might like to add to support the fact that Martin was the target.

Julian Jansen said In his book The De Zalze Murders that Henri’s alleged drug use caused discord in the family and troubled Martin enough to confront and punish his son.

Jansen claimed that at some point Martin retaliated by cutting off HvB’s allowance, and he relates how "this was not well received by Henri, who already felt alienated by his dad’s favouritism for his eldest brother, Rudi …"

No doubt he was furious that Martin had cut off his allowance, thereby cutting of his ability to purchase drugs. Perhaps another point worth considering is that after the rest of the family went to bed, HvB may have started complaining about this to Rudi and Rudi may have supported what Martin had done. If HvB was already jealous of Rudi, this may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back. I can almost hear the argument going back and forth in my mind. All HvB’s pent-up anger that had built up over years at both of them rising to fever pitch.

Unfortunately we’re never going to know who the main target was, but it’s also possible that both of them were on HvB’s hit list that night and it just so happened that Rudi was closest so was targeted first.

If you recall, 17 days before the murders there was an argument precipitated by Martin commenting on Marli’s weight gain followed by the intensity of her relationship with James causing her marks at school to go down. Later that night in one of the WhatsApp messages between Marli and James she replied, “… Rudi came out to speak to me. He was pretty much saying to suck it up cuz I have nothing to be crying about. He doesn’t listen to anything I say”. Rudi may well have adopted this sort of attitude with HvB that night, triggering something in HvB’s mind and the deadly chain of events that followed.

Whatever it was, he deserves to spend what should have been the best years of his life paying for the most heinous, despicable crime imaginable.

Happy New Year everyone from Sydney. Wishing you all good health and happiness for 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIEB9vdpgpQ

Sorry for the strange behaviour of the previous link for our fireworks. It appeared to be on a link. The new link is perfect. I hope you enjoy it.

Ah, my most memorable new years eve ever was spent in Australia, camping at Clairview, 1988/89. With 14 different nationalities we celebrated everyone's new year as it was happening back home, singing around a bonfire on the beach, then sleeping out under the stars because the tents were too humid.

A very happy and healthy New Year to you all, from a cold and wet London!

HvB said Op’T Hof heard the movie soundtrack for Star Trek 2, not an argument, yet she said she heard no music that night. In his Initial Statement he said “Myself, my brother, my father and my sister then went to watch television …” but by the time he provided his Plea Explanation this changed to “After dinner, Rudi, my dad and I watched Star Trek 2”. When he testified he said he watched the new Star Trek movie. There are a few things wrong here.

1) He testified that they watched a Blu Ray movie. Once he became aware of the State’s evidence, ‘television’ became ‘a movie’.

2) Star Trek 2 (correctly known as Star Trek II – The Wrath of Khan) was released in 1982.

3) When Botha referred to it he called it Star Trek Into Darkness which was released in 2013. No way could Star Trek 2 ever be described as the new movie.

Who does HvB think he’s kidding and who picked up the error? Has he ever seen a Star Trek film, knew it wasn’t the first one and just added on a 2 as he was completely oblivious to the fact that there were 9 more movies between ST2 and Into Darkness? Or did shifty Botha pick this up when checking the length of the film because he’s the only person who has ever referred to it as Into Darkness.

It’s obvious no-one, including Galloway, checked the length of the musical score because it lasts for 1:58:55, i.e. the entire length of the film bar 13 minutes, yet OH heard none, only angry men’s voices. I know who I’d believe and it certainly wouldn’t be HvB or Botha.

Rudi’s body lies on the floor in a pool of blood near the little blue bed where the family’s pet dog‚ Sasha‚ used to sleep.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/sou...ayed-in-court/

In all probability Sasha would have been sleeping in her bed which was somewhere to the right of HvB’s bed. He couldn’t remember who, if anyone, brought her upstairs that night. As it was difficult for her to walk upstairs, why would she be left downstairs while her bed was upstairs.

I’d suggest that when he went downstairs to get the axe and knife, he carried her downstairs and placed her in Martin’s study as the lights were on when the first responders arrived. He said he didn’t walk towards the study. Are we to believe that Martin left the lights on when he went to bed or that one or two intruders went in there but neither touched nor took anything. When pigs fly.

He said he didn’t know where Sasha was at the time of the attack and didn’t recall hearing her bark, but she used to bark when Precious arrived for work and when the telephone rang. Small house dogs are invariably very territorial and I find it highly unlikely that 1, 2 or 3 intruders entered the house and she remained silent.

Hi Everyone, I would like to wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year for 2018 and beyond.

You may be wondering where I have been. I returned from New York last Saturday where I spent time with my son and family for Christmas and my grand daughter performed in "Nutcracker" 25 times at the Lincoln Centre at age 9. I left Sydney on November 15 to go on a cruise from Florida via Caribbean islands and French Guiana to the Amazon River and back to Florida on December 18. I had a wonderful time.

Here's hoping that HvB is in soon.

Interesting that Henri and his gf have moved again.
    https://twitter.com/HiRezLife

Henri van Breda het nie 'n Kersfaaskaartjie of Nuwejaarswens van die Van Breda familie gekry nie.
    translation: Henri van Breda did not get a Christmas or New Year's wish from the Van Breda family.

https://t.co/WX3Ndd7U6s
    https://twitter.com/JulianJansen

I can't access the article, but that was the heading

Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 LastLast