1269 users online (196 members and 1073 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CA - Body in Barrel Chained to Cement Blocks in San Diego Bay, Oct'17

Body Found In Barrel Chained To Bottom Of San Diego Bay

SAN DIEGO, CA – Police are investigating a homicide after finding a decomposed body stuffed inside a sealed barrel chained to the bottom of the San Diego Bay Thursday afternoon.

A man, who was cleaning his boat, called police at 12:22 p.m. when he saw a plastic drum floating on the surface of the bay. The container was chained to the cement block underwater, and when authorities arrived, it was towed to the Chula Vista Marina off J Street and Marina Parkway.
    https://patch.com/california/san-die...-san-diego-bay

Body in oil drum found in bay off Chula Vista

Harbor Police officers managed to pull the white, 55-gallon drum into their boat, despite a number of cinder blocks weighting it down. They immediately smelled decomposition, said Chula Vista police Lt. Eric Thunberg.

“That's when they realized it wasn't just an item that could be dangerous to boats, but a possible homicide victim," Thunberg said.
    As a precaution, a Harbor Police officer donned a Hazardous Materials suit before opening the foul-smelling container. The corpse was found inside and Harbor Police officers immediately called homicide detectives, the lieutenant said.

Investigators were not able to determine the age or gender of the person inside. Chula Vista detectives are expected to work with Harbor Police divers to try and recover any evidence from where the barrel was found.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...012-story.html

How terrible. Hopefully they can glean some evidence and identify the victim and the perp(s). This obviously seemed well planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.' - Steven Tyler

Dang...that's gruesome.

A man, who was cleaning his boat, called police at 12:22 p.m. when he saw a metal barrel floating on the surface of the bay. The container appeared to have chains but was not chained to the ocean floor, and when authorities arrived, it was towed to the Chula Vista Marina off J Street and Marina Parkway.

Once there, police noticed an odd smell coming from the barrel and soon discovered the human remains. Acting Captain Eric Thunberg of the Chula Vista Police Department said the age and gender of the person is unclear.

Thunberg said the case is being treated as a homicide.

"This is not normal," Thunberg said. "We have a body crammed inside a barrel, that is not normal. Something went wrong."
    http://www.cbs8.com/story/36586317/b...-san-diego-bay

Hopefully since the perp put so much effort into disposing of the UID the identity isn’t hard to find out. If it was a random killing, like a truck stop murder, you wouldn’t put in the effort this perp did to hide the body.

This is scary and I can't help but wonder if there are any other barrels in that water.

Quote Originally Posted by FlossyMay View Post
    This is scary and I can't help but wonder if there are any other barrels in that water.
    I was worried about that as well when I read that they couldn't find it after the first report:
    Harbor Police officers were first called about the drum, which was floating about 200 yards off J Street Marina Park, about 10:35 a.m., police said. A person on a boat was concerned the object could be a hazard to other vessels, but when officers arrived, they couldn't find it.

A second boater called shortly after noon, and stayed with the container until police arrived. Harbor Police officers managed to pull the white, 55-gallon drum into their boat, despite a number of cinder blocks weighting it down.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...012-story.html

Hopefully the first sighting was the same barrel...

Quote Originally Posted by Force Ten View Post
    ex husband?

She is one of the first I thought of. Julia's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...go-2-Sept-2017

Another possibility is Alexandria Nicole Smith: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ego-2-Oct-2017

From this picture it doesn't look plastic. Looks metal with scratches on it. Wonder if that paper was put on it by police or if it has some sort of label on it? I hope they can ID where it came from rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener1850 View Post

From this picture it doesn't look plastic. Looks metal with scratches on it. Wonder if that paper was put on it by police or if it has some sort of label on it? I hope they can ID where it came from rather quickly.
    A boat must have been used to deposit it but it doesn't seem like they went out that far. Or maybe they did and the current carried it in. A decomposing body will emit gas and that is what made it float. I guess maybe it floated too much.

San Diego has a history with drug cartel's dissolving bodies in barrels of acid. I found this article from 2012:
    San Diego – Prosecutors said that two members of a breakaway Mexican drug gang dissolved their victims in vats of acid on a ranch in San Diego.

The defendants held two kidnap victims in the master bedroom of an average San Diego home as ransom payments were negotiated, said Mark Amador, a San Diego County deputy district attorney. After being dragged downstairs and strangled to death in June 2007, the bodies were placed in two 55-gallon barrels of fluids.
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02...utors-say.html

A boat must have been used to deposit it but it doesn't seem like they went out that far. Or maybe they did and the current carried it in. A decomposing body will emit gas and that is what made it float. I guess maybe it floated too much.

Could they have thrown it off the Coronado Bridge?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast