1463 users online (260 members and 1203 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

AZ - Pima Co, WhtFem UP17112, 16-27, remains on Mt. Lemmon, Apr'00

NamUs UP 17112

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/17112

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)

Found April 1, 2000 in Pima County, AZ
    Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
    Probable year of death: 1959 to 1965
    Estimated postmortem interval: Years

Vital Statistics
    Estimated age: 16-27 (Adult - Pre 30)
    Approximate Height: 62 estimate
    Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
    Hair Color:
    Brown; medium brown, slightly curly, length ranges from 4" to 6 1/2"
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Scars and marks:
    nothing

Clothing & Accessories
    Clothing:
    blue denims- 25"-25 1/2" waist, zipper on the left side, belt loops, Western style pockets (buttons missing)
    a white pearl button (probably from the denims)

Jewerly: nothing
    Footwear:
    2pr. of shoes- white, moccasin-style shoes and a pair of canvass, lace-up shoes with rubber soles

Accessories:
    2 Pall Mall cigarette packages: finger nail file;demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon); small chain (key chain type); three match book covers- two of which were manufactured by the "Monarch Match Co."- San Jose, CA.; clear plastic comb; 12 coins- years up to 1959; page fragments from possible street corner literature; Tucson Rapid Transit Zone 3 transfer ticket; yellow "flight bag" ; straw purse

Identifiers
    Fingerprints: Fingerprint information is not available
    Dentals: Dental information / charting is not available
    DNA: Sample submitted - tests complete

Case History:
    Remains on Mt. Lemmon, 2.5 miles south of fire tower, found by a member of the public.
    Look at my profile you will find cases of unidentified people new to you! Ivan

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/mem...158875-Romulus

Well this is an interesting one.

That's a really remote area.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search.../data=!3m1!1e3

Assuming there's just the one fire tower, her location 2.5 miles south of it is putting her on or south of the trail which is faintly marked on the maps, but she would have had to walk several miles over very rough ground wearing completely unsuitable footwear. The nearest starting point is the picnic area at Marshall Gulch over to the east.

And why would she have two pairs of shoes, assuming they were both hers?

Given that she had a Tucson area transit ticket (how did it survive the elements for more than 50 years?), it seems likely that's where she was from - maybe on a daytrip with a boyfriend who killed her and left her body on the mountain.

Yeah, I'd have to guess those paper items were protected inside something, possibly the "yellow flight bag."

Quote Originally Posted by MelmothTheLost View Post
    And why would she have two pairs of shoes, assuming they were both hers?
    Because she travels a lot and need a spare change.

Given that she had a Tucson area transit ticket (how did it survive the elements for more than 50 years?), it seems likely that's where she was from - maybe on a daytrip with a boyfriend who killed her and left her body on the mountain.
    I wouldn't be so sure about her being of Tucson. She might had been traveling for her job, because of demonstration lipstick by Avon.
    I would widen the net searching.

However, the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)" and "three match book covers- two of which were manufactured by the "Monarch Match Co."- San Jose, CA" would help us narrow down a date she died by knowing when was it sold.

With the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)", we also know that she was a demonstrator for Avon.
    So, it'll help narrowing the research by eliminating "lawyer", "teacher" and so forth.

The demonstration Pagoda lipsticks look like this : https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-50s-60...%257Ciid%253A1

Match Manufacturers:
    Monarch Match Co.
    (1946-1966)
    For a company that was only around for 20 years, Monarch produced quite a few covers...or, perhaps it’s just that I’m a California collector and, this being a California company, I run into them more than the typical collector elsewhere in the country. In any event, Monarch, while never in the same class as Universal, Diamond, and Lion, did manage to leave its mark on the industry and the hobby, here and there.
    It actually didn’t disappear completely in 1966. It merged with Superior Match Co. (post-1966 covers carried a "Monarch/Superior" manumark); in 1967, Brown Co. (parent company of Superior) was taken over by Gulf & Western Industries, Inc. In 1979, Gulf & Western sold Brown Co. to James River Corp. of VA. Today, both Monarch and Superior are long gone.
    The company’s production center was in San Jose, CA (that’s just south of San Francisco). The factory closed its doors forever in 1980.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-Lemmon-Apr-00

Still believe in the human race.....

Thanks Bit of Hope !

So, she died before 1966 and she was a demonstrator for Avon.

Quote Originally Posted by Giucy View Post
    Because she travels a lot and need a spare change.
    Yes, very possibly, but why would she take two pairs to so remote a place as where she was found? From the description, neither pair seem suitable for walking that trail.

I wouldn't be so sure about her being of Tucson. She might had been traveling for her job, because of demonstration lipstick by Avon.
    I would widen the net searching.
    Surely demos like this one are given by the rep to their clients who want to try a new shade. I'd say she was more likely to be an Avon client than a rep. My mother was an Avon rep for a number of years and she used to buy packs of 20 of these samples of a new shade of lipstick or a new perfume and slip one into a regular customer's order bag as a freebie.

However, the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)" and "three match book covers- two of which were manufactured by the "Monarch Match Co."- San Jose, CA" would help us narrow down a date she died by knowing when was it sold.
    Agreed. I assumed that the end date (1959-1965) was dictated by the time the lipstick shade or the matchbooks ceased production, but it would be good to have confirmation of that. No doubt Avon's archivist or historian would know the production dates of the shade.

With the "demonstration tube of "Pagoda" lipstick (Avon)", we also know that she was a demonstrator for Avon.
    So, it'll help narrowing the research by eliminating "lawyer", "teacher" and so forth.
    See above comment. I think it more likely that she was a customer and was given the sample by her rep.

My first option would be Laurie Allison Smith. She was LKA in Tucson in 1977

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_laurie.html

She would be an easy comparison, since her four first-bicuspids were removed when she was younger.

Yes, very possibly, but why would she take two pairs to so remote a place as where she was found? From the description, neither pair seem suitable for walking that trail.
    I would say that she was dumped there rather than going there for a trail

1977 is well after the EDD. She would not had had the Monarch Match Co" matchbox

Who is Fly Creek Jane Doe?

What about http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2409dfca.html they say she had blond hair but I'm not sure it is naturally blond.
    Still believe in the human race.....

Quote Originally Posted by Giucy View Post
    I would say that she was dumped there rather than going there for a trail
    When you say "dumped" I assume you mean that she was carried to that spot already dead and left?

If so, her killer would have had to carry her several miles along a rough trail. Take a look at the map I linked to earlier and you will see what I mean.

I know women were a lot smaller and lighter in those days (her waist was 25"), but that's still a long way for a man to carry a deadweight of over 100lb over that terrain.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast