1089 users online (246 members and 843 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whale in the Thames!!!

This story makes me initially joyful and so happy.

but now i'm very worried about him.

he's a deep sea whale and has no business swimming past the Houses of Parliament, for goodness sake!

he needs to get back to sea double quick, i think.

apparently rescuers are standing by in case he gets himself into trouble.

as he's heading towards the east end, he'll certainly find trouble!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4631396.stm

hurry home, little northern bottle nosed whale!

I'm worried about him too.

There was\is a whale and her calf in the Gulf near Corpus. It's strange cuz whales never go there normally. Don't know what the outcome was.

Nobody shoot it, the Queen is off her medications again and thought she was taking a bath!

CAl

he's disappeared for the moment and there's talk he may be dead.

i hope that's just alarmist talk. must be too soon to tell.

I hope he doesn't die from pollution.

Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- A northern bottlenose whale swam up the Thames in London today, drawing crowds and rescuers as it floundered in shallow water after passing Big Ben. It was the first sighting of a whale in the river in at least five years.

A police boat trailed the mammal to protect it from other craft. Rescuers stood in waist-deep water to usher it from the shore as it twice attempted to beach itself, before the animal disappeared for an hour and then resurfaced upstream. The whale appeared to be bleeding, with red coloration in the water nearby.

``This is a very disorientated, stressed animal,'' said Tony Woodley, director of the British Divers Marine Life Rescue, a marine charity that is coordinating efforts to rescue the mammal. ``It's a deep-sea species that's very unused to shallow waters and doesn't really come into coastal areas.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...zkySc&refer=uk

Hopefully, even though it's a slim chance, he will swim out with the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl
    Jan. 20 (Bloomberg) -- A northern bottlenose whale swam up the Thames in London today, drawing crowds and rescuers as it floundered in shallow water after passing Big Ben. It was the first sighting of a whale in the river in at least five years.

A police boat trailed the mammal to protect it from other craft. Rescuers stood in waist-deep water to usher it from the shore as it twice attempted to beach itself, before the animal disappeared for an hour and then resurfaced upstream. The whale appeared to be bleeding, with red coloration in the water nearby.

``This is a very disorientated, stressed animal,'' said Tony Woodley, director of the British Divers Marine Life Rescue, a marine charity that is coordinating efforts to rescue the mammal. ``It's a deep-sea species that's very unused to shallow waters and doesn't really come into coastal areas.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...zkySc&refer=uk

Hopefully, even though it's a slim chance, he will swim out with the tide.

"It was the first sighting of a whale in the river in at least five years"???

there has never been a sighting of a whale in the River Thames since records began (1913, i think)!

it is a slim chance, sadly.

poor guy.

what a way to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by kato
    There was\is a whale and her calf in the Gulf near Corpus. It's strange cuz whales never go there normally. Don't know what the outcome was.
    Yes my husband took some pictures of them as he was coming in the channel. He said the mom was about 40 ft long to his estimation and that one ship even had to stop for them. I would post his pictures but they did not turn out very well. He was very high up on his ship and the pictures were of such a wide angle only one really turned out well.

He was very excited. They were Right whales and only 300 are thought to be in the Atlantic basin. No one knows what brought the whales to the ship channel. But it was amazing for him to see.

On MSNBC they just showed the whale....it is beached and they are putting a floatation device around it and hoping to try to move it. The tide is very low right now.......

They have successfully unbeached the whale and are now towing it beside a boat down the river. Doesn't look fast enough considering they have 40 miles to go, but hope it works! They think it was chasing food and ended up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl
    On MSNBC they just showed the whale....it is beached and they are putting a floatation device around it and hoping to try to move it. The tide is very low right now.......
    How very sad...I hope they can save him

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    How very sad...I hope they can save him
    Me too!!!! They now have the whale on a barge....I'm hoping for a good outcome!

He didn't make it, but they sure tried. I imagine he was not well to have wondered there in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast