NJ - Karlo, 14, & Zabdiel Gonzalez, 7, murdered, Ocean County, 19 Jan 2006

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A suspect is in custody in connection with the abduction of an Ocean County, NJ woman. Her two children have been found dead inside her Stafford Township home (right).

Authorities say a 911 call was received about 9pm Thursday night after a woman, claiming she had been abducted, began screaming at a Monmouth County rest stop along the Garden State Parkway and ran from a vehicle.

The suspect in custody is described at this time only as a 21-year-old man who apparently was a tenant in the woman's home.
http://www.kyw1060.com/news_story_detail.cfm?newsitemid=51865

I could not imagine the terror she went through and the horror she experiencing in seeing her poor children. Another reason, IMO, to watch who enters the US. We have enough psycho's already! :truce:

Another example of why it is so important to try to escape if you are ever kidnapped. I have no doubt that he would have done to her what he did to her poor children had she not thought quickly and managed to get away.

MrsMush99 said:
Here's another link:

Link

LOL, bet that reporter had to change his pants.
The officer did a good job in talking the guy in.

Karlo Gonzalez always looked out for his younger brother, Zabdiel. He went to the bus stop every afternoon to make sure he made it home safely. Whenever they played together outside, he made sure Zabdiel stayed out of harm's way.

In Richard Toledo, authorities say, the 14-year-old Karlo encountered a menace from which he couldn't keep 7-year-old Zabdiel safe.

Ocean County authorities have charged Toledo, a 24-year-old illegal immigrant from Mexico who was renting a room in the Gonzalezes' Manahawkin home, with bludgeoning the boys to death with a hammer, then kidnapping their mother Thursday evening.

The spree led to a dramatic, overnight manhunt along the Garden State Parkway in Wall Township. Even after Toledo was in custody, prosecutors were at a loss yesterday to explain his actions.

"All we know is the body of these two young boys, two brothers, were obviously brutally beaten and saturated in blood," Ocean County Prosecutor Thomas Kellaher said during a late morning news conference in Toms River.

Karlo and Zabdiel were beaten so badly that the first investigators at the scene thought they'd been stabbed, Kellaher said.

The boys arrived home from school Thursday afternoon -- Karlo, an eighth-grader, from Southern Regional Middle School and Zabdiel, a second-grader, from Ocean Acres School.

"The older boy was so polite and so loving," said Dee Neilson, a neighbor. "I used to see him waiting on the corner for the younger boy's bus. You could tell he looked out for him. You could tell they were brought up the right way."

The boys were home alone with Toledo, a slight man with a sparse beard who has lived with the Gonzalezes in their Middie Lane home since October. Prosecutors did not have the autopsy results yesterday evening, so they don't know how many times Toledo struck the boys, nor did they know what time he killed them, Kellaher said.

Sometime early Thursday evening, the boys' mother, 36-year-old Wanda Gonzalez, returned home from her job with a cleaning service. She walked in on the upper level of the split-level home, and before she could go downstairs to check on her sons, Toledo took her captive, Kellaher said. http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1137822028126830.xml&coll=1

Oh, man....this is horrendous! That poor woman! And, the father finding his sons. How awful!:behindbar

They haven't announced a motive in this case. Is it just me, or is there an undertone, a suspicion in the above article?

mysteriew said:
They haven't announced a motive in this case. Is it just me, or is there an undertone, a suspicion in the above article?
Nope, it's not just you....I felt it, too.

When Wanda Gonzalez allowed a struggling coworker to move into the home she shared with her two sons, she may have opened the door to a killer.
In an inexplicable burst of violence, police said, Richard Toledo, who had been living in the Stafford Township home since October, covered the heads of Gonzalez's two boys, beat them to death with a hammer and left them in a pool of blood for their father to find.
Toledo, 24, then kidnapped Wanda Gonzalez, binding her with antenna wire and driving off in her white Ford van, police said. She was unaware that her sons, Karlo Gonzalez, 14, and Zabdiel Gonzalez, 7, were dead.
Her estranged husband, Carlos Gonzalez, discovered the horror-house scene Thursday night. Neighbors all around could hear his screams.
"I want my sons back! I want my sons back!" he wailed, according to John Condoleon, 18, who lives across the street.
Toledo and Wanda Gonzalez, 38, had worked together until Toledo lost his job last fall, authorities said. Gonzalez felt sorry for him and allowed him to board at her house, said Ocean County Prosecutor Thomas F. Kelaher. He said there was no evidence that the two were romantically involved.
Recently, Toledo worked as a busboy at the Sea Oaks Country Club, where he used the alias Toledo Gonzalez.
"One day he just never showed up," said country club manager Chris Herrmann.
Investigators said they couldn't explain what motivated the killings. Nor did they know what time the boys had been slain.
The police examined the upper level of the split-level home, finding nothing.
The father went downstairs, where he found the boys in a bedroom. One child's head was covered with a plastic bag and the other with a shirt. Both had been beaten repeatedly with a hammer, Kelaher said.
The prosecutor said the scene was so gory that the officer initially thought the boys had been stabbed. The father "went crazy," Kelaher said.
Prosecutor Kelaher said that Wanda Gonzalez, who was "smacked around" during the ordeal, was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center.
She learned there that her sons had been killed.
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/13676294.htm

mysteriew said:

Something is odd about this case. How did she get a phone to call her husband? How did she manage to free herself?

The preacher urged the community to take refuge in God, while the community offered the grieving parents refuge in its arms.

About 350 people gathered last night in Stafford Township for an interfaith prayer service in honor of Karlo and Zabdiel Gonzalez, the two Manahawkin boys who were bludgeoned to death with a claw hammer in their home Thursday night.

Autopsies performed Friday showed that the boys were killed with a claw hammer police found near the scene, Gasser said.

Zabdiel was struck once in the head. Authorities believe Toledo then held the head of the hammer against his neck and pressed until the boy was dead, Gasser said. His older brother was struck many times in the head, neck and chest.

"It's horrendous. It's one of the worst," said Gasser.

The boys' father met police at the house after his wife called to tell him she'd been kidnapped. He found the bodies in a lower-level bedroom.
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-4/113799520943360.xml&coll=1

Richard Toledo

Housed: New Jersey State Prison
Sentence Date: 03/14/2008

Offense: 1st Degree Murder
Mandatory Minimum Term: None
Maximum Term: Life

Offense: 1st Degree Murder
Mandatory Minimum Term: 63 years 8 months 29 days
Maximum Term: Life

Offense: 1st Degree Kidnapping
Mandatory Minimum Term: 25 years 5 months 29 days