The scream at Midnight

michelle

Joy comes in the Morning
Reaction score
I just pulled out my book by Cyril Wecht, Who killed Jon Benet and i was wondering the person across the street that said she heard a scream did anything ever become of that?

The person was Melody Stanton, a neighour.

I think she started out saying she heard a scream, then changed her story, saying she didnt hear a scream.
I don't know if she heard a scream or not. I think maybe she changed her story when questioned by Ramsey investigators, that she told a different story to BPD.

narlacat said:
The person was Melody Stanton, a neighour.

I think she started out saying she heard a scream, then changed her story, saying she didnt hear a scream.
I don't know if she heard a scream or not. I think maybe she changed her story when questioned by Ramsey investigators, that she told a different story to BPD.
oh thanks i have often wondered what happened with tha whole scream scenerio....

michelle said:
I just pulled out my book by Cyril Wecht, Who killed Jon Benet and i was wondering the person across the street that said she heard a scream did anything ever become of that?

michelle,

IMO Melody Stanton heard a scream, and it likely was from JonBenet. Here's how Larry Schiller wrote about it in PMPT pb, pg 76:

"Melody Stanton, up the street at 738, told the police on January 3 that she was certain she had heard a child's scream at about 2:00 AM on the night of the murder. Her bedroom window, which looks toward the Ramsey house from across the street, had been partly open. When questioned by the police, Stanton said that there had been only one scream but it was horrifying. If it came from the child, she assumed it had awakened her parents."

Later in the investigation the scream incident got into the news and the Stantons were besieged by reporters. The Stantons, very quiet people, moved to get away from the media blitz.

What Melody Stanton told the police about the scream likely being heard by the parents is interesting. Sound tests conducted from the Ramsey's basement showed that the ventillation duct in the boiler room actually magnified sounds and carried the sounds outside. This would have allowed Melody Stanton to have heard the scream emminating from the Ramsey basement since the Stantons slept with their bedroom window ajar. However, the experts concluded the Ramseys, asleep three floors up in the well-insulated house, couldn't have heard the scream.

But, although to the best of my knowledge it has never been reported, guess who else sleeps with their bedroom window ajar? The Ramseys!

Since Melody Stanton apparently heard the scream because of her open window, then the Ramseys would also have likely heard the scream through their open wndow.

BlueCrab

BlueCrab said:
michelle,

IMO Melody Stanton heard a scream, and it likely was from JonBenet. Here's how Larry Schiller wrote about it in PMPT pb, pg 76:

"Melody Stanton, up the street at 738, told the police on January 3 that she was certain she had heard a child's scream at about 2:00 AM on the night of the murder. Her bedroom window, which looks toward the Ramsey house from across the street, had been partly open. When questioned by the police, Stanton said that there had been only one scream but it was horrifying. If it came from the child, she assumed it had awakened her parents."

Later in the investigation the scream incident got into the news and the Stantons were besieged by reporters. The Stantons, very quiet people, moved to get away from the media blitz.

What Melody Stanton told the police about the scream likely being heard by the parents is interesting. Sound tests conducted from the Ramsey's basement showed that the ventillation duct in the boiler room actually magnified sounds and carried the sounds outside. This would have allowed Melody Stanton to have heard the scream emminating from the Ramsey basement since the Stantons slept with their bedroom window ajar. However, the experts concluded the Ramseys, asleep three floors up in the well-insulated house, couldn't have heard the scream.

But, although to the best of my knowledge it has never been reported, guess who else sleeps with their bedroom window ajar? The Ramseys!

Since Melody Stanton apparently heard the scream because of her open window, then the Ramseys would also have likely heard the scream through their open wndow.

BlueCrab
oh they would have heard it as well....

According to ST's book JonBebenet, page 79, Stanton changed her story. Originally, "she stated that she had not noticed anything unusual on the night JonBenet died." In a later interview, she admitted to having withheld the fact that she had heard a child's scream, her reason being that she "did not want to get involved in the case". (If this is true, I think it's incredibly cold!!) But later, it came out that she told detectives that "It may not have been an audible scream, but rather the negative energy radiating from JonBenet". But later, she insisted she had heard an "audible scream".

Stanton damaged her own credibility with all this waffling, imo, and rendered her story useless in solving this case.

BlueCrab said:
michelle,

BlueCrab
Hi BlueCrab, I know I'm butting in here and I hope you don't mind. I thought that John was in the habit of zonking himself out with melatonin, if he did he quite possibly didn't hear the scream. But I feel sure that Patsy did. And I think that is when she went downstairs and discovered the murder.

sandraladeda said:
According to ST's book JonBebenet, page 79, Stanton changed her story. Originally, "she stated that she had not noticed anything unusual on the night JonBenet died." In a later interview, she admitted to having withheld the fact that she had heard a child's scream, her reason being that she "did not want to get involved in the case". (If this is true, I think it's incredibly cold!!) But later, it came out that she told detectives that "It may not have been an audible scream, but rather the negative energy radiating from JonBenet". But later, she insisted she had heard an "audible scream".

Stanton damaged her own credibility with all this waffling, imo, and rendered her story useless in solving this case.
Maybe she received some threats that if she didn't change her story something bad might happen. It's just a maybe, I don't have any specific information. But because of this possibility I don't think it is fair to her to jump to a firm conclusion that she damaged her own credibility.

Window open, window closed, I think it is certainly possible that there was a scream and neither Ramsey heard it. Forget about all the stuff you've read about where the sound resonates in that house, just remember that some people sleep lightly, and others heavily. Whether Melody Stanton heard a scream or not, I don't think it's a big deal that the Ramseys did not. Even if they were light sleepers and had their window open, if they were asleep, they could have very easily slept through it. Have you ever slept through your alarm clock? I certainly have, and I'm a light sleeper. This type of stuff is very unpredictable to me, and I wouldn't read too much into it.

Voice of Reason said:
Window open, window closed, I think it is certainly possible that there was a scream and neither Ramsey heard it. Forget about all the stuff you've read about where the sound resonates in that house, just remember that some people sleep lightly, and others heavily. Whether Melody Stanton heard a scream or not, I don't think it's a big deal that the Ramseys did not. Even if they were light sleepers and had their window open, if they were asleep, they could have very easily slept through it. Have you ever slept through your alarm clock? I certainly have, and I'm a light sleeper. This type of stuff is very unpredictable to me, and I wouldn't read too much into it.

VOR,

The Ramseys claim they slept through the night and didn't get up until 5:30 AM, but I doubt it? There's evidence John was in the basement prior to the 911 call at 5:52 AM and prior to the cops getting there at 6:00 AM.

Did they sleep through the night just like Burke slept through the night and, according to the Ramseys, not awakened until 7:00 AM? (Which was discredited by the enhanced 911 call.) The Ramseys statements have no credibility with respect to what really happened in the house that morning.

The Melatonin gig is questionable; it fits the Ramsey "slept through the night" alibi too snugly. I think John heard the scream, and when he got up to investigate he found JonBenet strung up downstairs in the basement. It was as early as 2:00 AM. When John carried JonBenet upstairs from the basement, according to Patsy's own testimony, she (Patsy) was screaming and John was screaming.

BlueCrab

Was Melody Stanton blonde? I've been wondering who PR
was referring to, who she felt threatened by.
Does anyone know who the blonde b**ch down the street was?

ellen13 said:
Don't know but am curious.

BlueCrab said:
The Melatonin gig is questionable; it fits the Ramsey "slept through the night" alibi too snugly. I think John heard the scream...

I think that this is a reasonable suggestion, but in a court of law, I don't think the fact that the neighbor heard a scream and the Ramseys said they slept through it bears any significance. We can interpret it however we see reasonable, but it is really hard to say that a scream from the basement absolutely woke up the parents all the way upstairs in the attic.

Voice of Reason said:
I think that this is a reasonable suggestion, but in a court of law, I don't think the fact that the neighbor heard a scream and the Ramseys said they slept through it bears any significance. We can interpret it however we see reasonable, but it is really hard to say that a scream from the basement absolutely woke up the parents all the way upstairs in the attic.

VOR,

The scream to the outside through the airduct protruding through the basement window was only about 30-feet away from the Ramseys on the third floor. They had their bedroom window open -- just like the Stantons.

BlueCrab said:
VOR,

The scream to the outside through the airduct protruding through the basement window was only about 30-feet away from the Ramseys on the third floor. They had their bedroom window open -- just like the Stantons.

I do not necessarily disagree with your conclusion; I just do not think it is dispositive.

ellen13 said:

You know Patsy absolutely denies ever having said that. And she tried to find out who said she said that. It kinda pi**ed her off, I think. This was in one of her videotaped interviews, I don't remember which one.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielle79903
Back