645 users online (96 members and 549 guests)  

Websleuths News

Boy drowns at YMCA pool party

This is so sad! My 10 yr. old goes to this YMCA all time for school fun nights. Plays on this slide all the time. I dont know the family, but feel just awful for them.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/jan06/385437.asp

That is SO sad. Gosh, you just never know when it's going to be your time or that of your loved ones.

The article said the the little boy's lungs were full of water. It also says that the lifeguard pulled him out the water immediately. I don't understand how the boy's lungs could fill up with water so fast. Can someone explain, please??

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    The article said the the little boy's lungs were full of water. It also says that the lifeguard pulled him out the water immediately. I don't understand how the boy's lungs could fill up with water so fast. Can someone explain, please??
    That part totally confused me, too. This is one sad story. How awful for the parents.

Poor boy, its so sad.. they said he must have taken a gulp of water right when he went in, it does sound weird especially if he loved the water like his mother said, i wouldnt think that he would have a problem resurfacing to the top of it if he needed air....Poor thing, he was a cutie...

What a precious little boy. It almost makes me wonder if something else happened to him...did he hit his head? Did he suffer cardiac arrest? I think there is more to what happened to him that caused him not to resurface that hopefully an autopsy will discover. Prayers for his family. He was beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by englishleigh
    What a precious little boy. It almost makes me wonder if something else happened to him...did he hit his head? Did he suffer cardiac arrest? I think there is more to what happened to him that caused him not to resurface that hopefully an autopsy will discover. Prayers for his family. He was beautiful.
    i think maybe something else happened as well....

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    i think maybe something else happened as well....
    I do, too. I wondered if maybe he hit his head on the floor of the pool, or something. I don't know. It's just so sad.

How sad. Something else must have happened on his way down the slide.
    Absolutely tragic.

We have a slide just like the one described at our YMCA my children love the slide.
    Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride.

My opinion!

My feeling is the YMCA, or any business for that matter, would never say "We weren't watching and don't know how long he'd been in there until someone noticed," as it's much better to say that they responded right away within whatever capacity they should have. Sadly, this is why I've never let my daughter attend pool parties without myself present, I don't care who or how many others are supposed to be watching. The poor family, how horrible.