NV - Girl tells police she, brother imprisoned; three arrested

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A girl's story of being locked in a bathroom with her brother and starved for years has resulted in felony child neglect and false imprisonment charges being filed against their mother, grandmother and the mother's boyfriend.

In jailhouse Justice Court proceedings Friday, following their arrests Thursday, Regina Rios, 33, Tomas Granados, 33, and Esther Rios, 56, had bail set at $100,000 apiece and got court-appointed lawyers.

The 16-year-old girl and her 12-year-old brother, who both appeared to be half their ages, were hospitalized.

Three other children, who appeared to be healthy, were placed in child protective custody.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Jan-21-Sat-2006/news/5465994.html

OK, these kids were old enough to be in school. Why isn't the school reporting a 16 yr old girl that weighs 41 lbs? And what about the rest of the family???!!!:furious:

All of the schools my children go to require a signed physical from a doctor or they'll be kicked out. I'm starting to think that this should be a federal law. Maybe it would help identify these poor, poor children before it's too late. Then I suppose they would be kept home from school to get around that law.....argh.

What a brave young lady she is:Sheriff's Sgt. Bob White told the Appeal that when the girl's grandmother opened the locked bathroom door, the girl "pushed her inside and locked the deadbolt" and fled.

That reminded me of Hansel and Gretl where they pushed the witch into the oven.:furious: :furious:

TaxiMom, according to the article the family had moved to their current address 5 years ago, and there were no records of the boy and girl being in a local school for several years.
Does this sound familiar? Parents said she was mentally handicapped and anorexic. But, the way she was found she was out stealing food!

mysteriew said:
TaxiMom, according to the article the family had moved to their current address 5 years ago, and there were no records of the boy and girl being in a local school for several years.
Does this sound familiar? Parents said she was mentally handicapped and anorexic. But, the way she was found she was out stealing food!
:p Guilty of skimming here!

This just has to stop. I don't know how, and I don't like the government all up in my personal life, but something has to be done to keep this from happening!

And mysteriew, if someone posts an updated article saying CPS was involved and nobody there thought anything was wrong....I'll explode!!! Just lock me up now!:behindbar

:furious: :furious: what a trio of low lifes.How will these kids ever get over being treated like this for so long .I wonder if they were the mothers children and this was their step father.

Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong says he's amazed by the survival of two emaciated children who say they were locked in an apartment bathroom and starved for the past five years.

When the siblings were found Thursday, the 16-year-old girl weighed about 40 pounds, and her 11-year-old brother weighed about 30 pounds. The pair were in stable condition Sunday at a hospital, while their grandmother, mother and the mother's boyfriend were in jail.

Three other children in the home, ages 9 to 17, attended school in Carson City. They were placed in the custody of social services workers and appeared to be healthy.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3605022.html

mysteriew said:
Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong says he's amazed by the survival of two emaciated children who say they were locked in an apartment bathroom and starved for the past five years.

When the siblings were found Thursday, the 16-year-old girl weighed about 40 pounds, and her 11-year-old brother weighed about 30 pounds. The pair were in stable condition Sunday at a hospital, while their grandmother, mother and the mother's boyfriend were in jail.

Three other children in the home, ages 9 to 17, attended school in Carson City. They were placed in the custody of social services workers and appeared to be healthy.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3605022.html
No matter how hard I try I can not imagine what these children look like:confused:

I hope these perps ROT. This is a crime against humanity and the DP seems appropriate to me.

I don't understand why one of the other 3 children didn't say anything. How could you let someone live in the bathroom, locked up and starving to death without telling????? So sad. Stuff like this makes my blood boil..... :furious:

I don't understand how three adults and three kids can agree to do this
to two of their family members. How do you get all to go along with this.
How is it that a mother or grandmother can treat two children so bad and evidently treat three others normally.
This is beyond imagination.
My heart aches and my blood boils.

This is one of the few times I would Ok the death penalty for a non murder crime. At the very least, life without parole - - - in a cell the same size as that bathroom. We can always say we were afraid they might get out & eat up all the adult foods in the world.

A girl found starving last week in Carson City had run away from home in 2001, but she was returned to her family after telling a deputy she had been grounded.

"Nothing in the 2001 report indicates she was abused or being held captive," said Sheriff Kenny Furlong, who took office eight months after the May 19, 2001, incident. "But we are looking at that specific event to determine whether or not anything could have been done to have prevented the outcome."

Despite the family's assertion that the boy lived in Los Angeles, he was found severely malnourished and hidden underneath a bed at the family's Como Street apartment. The two children were admitted to the pediatric unit of Carson Tahoe Regional Medical Center and are listed in stable condition. Three other healthy children in the home, ages 9, 12, and 17, were placed in the custody of the state.

The children's mother, Regina Rios, 33; grandmother Esther Rios, 56; and stepfather, Tomas Granados, 33, are being held on suspicion of felony child abuse and false imprisonment.

The report indicates the girl weighed 85 pounds when she spoke with the deputy nearly five years ago.

When she was discovered Thursday she weighed 41 pounds and stood 4 feet 1 inch tall. Her brother weighed 31 pounds and stood 3 feet 2.5 inches tall.
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20060125/NEWS/101250027

Are these all the mother's children or are some the boyfriend's? She's only 33 and has a 17 yr old, plus all these other children?

I think I would have locked MYSELF in the bathroom.

I can't help but look at my 6 yr old that weighs about 48 lbs and think of that 16 yr old girl.

shdbepaintin said:
I don't understand how three adults and three kids can agree to do this
to two of their family members. How do you get all to go along with this.
How is it that a mother or grandmother can treat two children so bad and evidently treat three others normally.
This is beyond imagination.
My heart aches and my blood boils.

It's beyond my understanding. How could a grandmother allow her grandchildren to be treated like that? I wonder why the other kids didn't tell a school counselor or teacher? Maybe they were afraid that the same thing would happen to them. Still, what a horrible way for all of them to treat these two kids.

I hope all of the adults get a long prison term and that the children are never returned to them. Those two kids will probably never grow to normal height...so sad for them.

nanandjim said:
IDIOTS!! I hope to hell that they spend the rest of their lives in prison.
The hell with prison. Build a very small windowless all stark white tile bathroom and lock 'em in there with only a blanket and feed them ocassional gruel. Scummy little buggers.

Photos of evidence in a starvation case involving two Carson City children were broadcast by Sacramento and Reno television stations when the pictures were accidentally released by the Carson City Sheriff's Department.

Photographs of the children were not on the disk.

News10 reporter George Warren said he expected to find police mugshots of suspects Regina Rios, Tomas Granados and Esther Rios when he collected the disk from the front counter of the sheriff's department.

Instead, the disk held photographs of the apartment's interior taken during a search. The disk with evidence photos had been copied by a technician. His supervisors thought he was making a copy of the disk with mug shots.

The evidence photos show two worn blankets believed to be the only bedding used by the 16-year-old and 11-year-old victims, a bowl on the sink which held two spoons and the remnants of dried food, and a well-stocked refrigerator with a drawer full of bologna.
http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20060125/NEWS/101250028

What got me was the well stocked refrigerator. This wasn't a case of people too poor to buy food! Or even too lazy to prepare food! This was a case of three adults in a household absolutely refusing to give food to those two kids!
Again, this is a household that has other children, and the other children appear to be ok.
One thing I did notice. The girl says she has been locked up for about 5 years. LE has found a report that she was located after running away in 2001. She told LE at that time that she was mad because her mother grounded her. So that would mean that if the imprisonment hadn't started as yet, it probably started soon after she ran away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back