GUILTY MI - Kenneth White, 32, killed by rock dropped from overpass, 18 Oct 2017

PastTense

Reaction score
Authorities in Michigan filed murder charges against five teenagers they say are responsible for throwing pieces of rock from an overpass at cars onto the interstate below.

On October 23, Flint prosecutor David Leyton announced the charges in relation to the death of 32-year old Kenneth Andrew White of Mount Morris. He was on his way home from work when the vehicle he was riding in was hit with a large piece of rock from an overpass above. The rock went through the windshield, striking and killing White. Officials say the teens fled the scene, and they weren’t brought into custody until three days later, acting on a tip.

White, from the Flint area, leaves behind four children and a fiancee, all who are grieving his unexpected death. He’s been described by those close to him as being a loving father and friend.
https://heavy.com/news/2017/10/kenneth-white-rocks-thrown-detroit-photos/

Five Michigan Teens Charged With Murder for Throwing Rocks at Driver
by Associated Press

FLINT, Mich. — Five teenagers accused of throwing rocks from a Michigan highway overpass were charged with second-degree murder Monday in the death of a man killed when one of them smashed the windshield of a van in which he was riding.

The rocks thrown last Wednesday struck the van in which Ken White was a passenger as well as several other vehicles on Interstate 75, about 80 miles north of Detroit.

The teens, ages 15 to 17, are being charged as adults...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-charged-murder-throwing-rocks-driver-n813606

Teens charged with murder in highway rock incident

Flint — After allegedly dropping a rock from a highway overpass that broke a man’s skull, clavical, ribs and facial skeleton, a group of youths had dinner at McDonald’s.

Five days later, their meals are being served in jail.

The five teenagers were charged Monday with second-degree murder in the death of Ken White. White, 32, of Mount Morris was struck by the rock Wednesday while riding in a van on Interstate 75 near Flint.

The teens, ages 15-17, were charged as adults, authorities said. They were scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday morning in District Court in Genesee County.

“It’s not a prank. It’s second-degree murder,” said Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell during a news conference to announce the charges...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...terstate-vienna-township-ken-white/106945352/

Murder charges announced for 5 teens after rock thrown from I-75 overpass in Michigan kills man
Police say 5 cars hit by rocks thrown from overpass

DETROIT - Authorities announced murder charges at a news conference Monday afternoon in connection with*the recent death of a 32-year-old man killed when a rock was thrown off an overpass on I-75 in Vienna Township.

Kenneth Andrew White, 32, of Mount Morris Township, was in a van Wednesday heading south on I-75 when the windshield was struck by a large rock*in Vienna Township, police said. The rock went through the windshield and hit White, who was in the passenger seat. He*was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...rown-from-i-75-overpass-in-michigan-kills-man

Teens denied bond in rock toss that killed man on I-75

A judge denied bond Tuesday for five teenagers charged with dropping a rock from a highway overpass that struck and killed a motorist last week.

Citing the seriousness of the crime, Judge William Crawford refused to grant bond to the defendants, who were arraigned in Genesee County District Court on second-degree murder and other charges in the death of Ken White, 32, of Mount Morris.

The teens all live in Clio and attend Clio High School. They are Kyle Anger, 17; Mark Sekelsky, 16; Mikadyn Payne, 16; Alexzander Miller, 15; and Trevor Gray, 15.

Relatives of the victim and the five teens declined to comment after the hearing. Crawford set a preliminary hearing for Nov. 2...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ned-fatal-interstate-rock-incident/106957916/

There are just no words to express how I feel about this. Are these kids evil, or just that stupid to not understand the consequences of what they were doing?

All of these ...I can't even say what I want. And they went to McDonald's after. I wish there was a way for them to be charged with 1st degree, I really do.

All of these ...I can't even say what I want. And they went to McDonald's after. I wish there was a way for them to be charged with 1st degree, I really do.

Nice to see you, michmi. I'm already a little worried about how this will play out with all five "boys" being charged equally when only one rock was responsible for the death of Mr. White. Attorneys will be scrambling to prove that the specific rock that hit KW's vehicle wasn't tossed by their particular client.

True, all five teens were tossing rocks from an overpass onto the freeway below, but only one of them tossed the fatal rock. I foresee a lot of legal maneuvering to exculpate the boys who didn't toss the rock that eventually struck and killed Mr. White. It will be interesting to see if surveillance video captured the trajectory of the fatal rock from the thrower to KW's vehicle. I anticipate fireworks during the next court appearance. :moo:

Nice to see you, michmi. I'm already a little worried about how this will play out with all five "boys" being charged equally when only one rock was responsible for the death of Mr. White. Attorneys will be scrambling to prove that the specific rock that hit KW's vehicle wasn't tossed by their particular client.

True, all five teens were tossing rocks from an overpass onto the freeway below, but only one of them tossed the fatal rock. I foresee a lot of legal maneuvering to exculpate the boys who didn't toss the rock that eventually struck and killed Mr. White. It will be interesting to see if surveillance video captured the trajectory of the fatal rock from the thrower to KW's vehicle. I anticipate fireworks during the next court appearance. :moo:

I'm concerned as well, particularly now that the "demographics" of the perps are known. Based on that alone, it's probably going to be pretty difficult to get second degree murder for any of them. I'll be very surprised if there turns out to be satisfactory justice at the end of all of it.

In this case the rock thrower pleaded guilty and got 40 years for aggravated assault, but he had done it repeatedly so maybe that made for a stronger case against him.

Police believed Patrick Johnson is responsible for most of the 94 incidents reported over two years around the I-35 corridor.

Patrick Eugene Johnson, 56, pleaded guilty Thursday to four counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and agreed to 40 concurrent years of prison time, a news release from the Travis County District Attorney's said Thursday.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...d-in-I-35-rock-throwing-incidents-Austin-2016

Judge denies bail for 5 teens in deadly I-75 rock-throwing incident

FLINT, MI - The five teenagers accused of throwing more than a dozen rocks from a highway overpass - including one that pierced a van's windshield and killed a 32-year-old Mt. Morris man - were arraigned in court on Tuesday, Oct. 24, on second-degree murder and other charges.

The teens were arraigned before Genesee District Judge William H. Crawford II on Tuesday, Oct. 24 on charges of second-degree murder, conspiracy to commit second-degree murder, malicious destruction of property and other felony and misdemeanor charges in connection with the death of Kenneth A. White.

Families for both White and the suspects were in the courtroom as Crawford read off the charges for each suspect...

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2017/10/teens_appear_in_court_after_ro.html

Judge Crawford is known for his work with Flint's youth. I hope he is fair and true justice is served here. There are no words for this crime.

Two of them already have attorneys who are doing just that. I'm kind of resigned that this isn't going to get "justice" for the family of the poor man who died. I can only hope he died instantly and didn't suffer. I love how they're being described as "boys" too--ugh. I'm also not hearing that any of them turned themselves in, either, which is troubling. Perhaps one did and this is how the group was caught? I would hope that at least one had a conscience.

Two of them already have attorneys who are doing just that. I'm kind of resigned that this isn't going to get "justice" for the family of the poor man who died. I can only hope he died instantly and didn't suffer. I love how they're being described as "boys" too--ugh. I'm also not hearing that any of them turned themselves in, either, which is troubling. Perhaps one did and this is how the group was caught? I would hope that at least one had a conscience.

Evidently, the oldest teen turned himself in. Story was covered on NBC Nightly News. I will search for video.

ETA: Video within article. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-charged-murder-throwing-rocks-driver-n813606

Ashleigh Banfield is covering this case on Primetime Justice (HLN).

Good coverage by Ashleigh Banfield (HLN). Interviews Sheriff, attorney for one of the perps. Video will probably be up later this evening, but I'll be watching Law & Order: SVU at 9:00PM then :eek:fftobed: Transcript should be available in a couple of days.

Good coverage by Ashleigh Banfield (HLN). Interviews Sheriff, attorney for one of the perps. Video will probably be up later this evening, but I'll be watching Law & Order: SVU at 9:00PM then :eek:fftobed: Transcript should be available in a couple of days.

But BDE it's Game 2 of the World Series and Justin is pitching! You can watch SVU anytime. :)

15234620_G.jpg

Police said they know who threw the rock that killed White, but all five teenagers are being charged as adults for second-degree murder. They all face life in prison if convicted.

"You helped me. You assisted me in commission of this crime. Therefore, everything that I do you're held responsible for it and that's aiding and abetting," said Alan Crawford, defense attorney.

Crawford said the second-degree murder charges against the others could be a tactic prosecutors are using to pressure them to turn on White.

"They're going to put the threat of spending the rest of his life in prison, in the hopes that he's going to eventually cave in and become part of their case and testify against his co-defendants," Crawford said.
"If they're found guilty, I got them right around 18 to 31 years," Crawford said.

http://www.wnem.com/story/36683870/...s-were-charged-with-murder-in-i-75-rock-death

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back