1025 users online (224 members and 801 guests)  

Websleuths News

NC - Brittany Locklear, 5, Hoke County, 7 Jan 1998

I had never heard of this little girl. She was beautiful.

http://www.wral.com/news/6339647/detail.html

That poor family, and all they have been through. She was beautiful. Just like an angel.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I think I remember hearing about it on the news when it happened, but have not heard anything since. It was one of the first child murders I had heard of where the child was abducted while waiting for the school bus.

My heart goes out to the family who still has no answers.

That is so sad. She was a very beautiful little girl. I do hope this case can be solved so that her family can have some closure.

Eight Years Later, Slaying Of 5-Year-Old Remains Unsolved

She might be a little rebellious. What teenager wouldn't be? She probably would wear her brown hair loose around her face, might run with her sister through the trees around the family homestead.

Brittany Locklear absolutely would have the same smile, the one full of kindness and light. Angelic, almost.

At least, that's what her mother, Connie Locklear-Chavis, thinks. Brittany would have turned 13 last week had she not been kidnapped from the end of her driveway and killed, her torn, drowned body found in a drainage ditch three miles from her home.

Any hope of answering those questions ended the morning of Jan. 7, 1998. Any hope of a family not overshadowed by the homicide ended that day, too.

Neighbors who lived about 500 feet away said they saw the kidnapping. A man in a pickup stopped in front of the driveway. Maybe he was white, maybe Indian, or maybe a light-skinned black man. The truck might have been brown, maybe tan. Maybe it had lights on the roof.

He took Brittany, they said. She didn't fight him.

Hundreds of people came out to search for the girl. County, state and federal lawmen set up roadblocks.

Then Hoke County Sheriff Wayne Byrd issued a warning: Anyone with a brown truck would be stopped and questioned. Residents from across the region flooded the office with tips, which started to pile up.

They jotted notes on paper forms and tried to keep computer spreadsheets of all the leads, but some tips slipped through. Three months later, the FBI gave detectives on Brittany's case a computer program designed to manage crime tips.

By that time, though, the calls had tapered off.

"We know there was info that came in that we didn't follow up on," Tilley said in an interview earlier this month. "We were not prepared."
    http://www.wral.com/news/6339647/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Brittany Lynn Locklear 5, murder unsolved since 1998

Brittany, 5, was last seen alive on January 7, 1998, as she waited in front of her house on Gainey Road in Hoke County, North Carolina for the school bus to pick her up. When her mother relaized she hadn't gotten on the bus, a search was launched. Brittany's clothes were found about three hours later in the woods a few miles away. The next day, her nude body was found in a drainage ditch on a farm road about three miles from her home. She had been raped and thrown into the ditch to drown.
    Brittany was a kindergartener at the time of her murder. She was Native American, of the Lumbee tribe. She enjoyed wearing colorful clothes and watching the TV show "Barney;" she even named her dog after Barney. As of April 2004, her murder remains unsolved.
    http://www.free-webspace.biz/thevict..._brittany.html
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

Thanks PT! Missed those when I did my search.
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

I remember this case and regret that it is another one that has never been solved. I am thinking it could have been someone in the area who saw the opportunity and took her. But if this was his modus operandi, there must be others. Not just little Brittany. I am amazed at how many unsolved cases there are.
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

I had not been familiar with this heartbreaking case. So sad!

Here's a link to a 2007(?) video, the first half of which concerns Brittany's abduction and murder:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video...5/#/vid1503275
    Last edited by Backwoods; 06-14-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: add omitted word

Beautiful angel ...I wish she is with angels and god now ....If at all there is a supreme force , may that killer come to justice...he took the most innocent of us ...may the beautiful angel brittney lynn locklear rest in peace...
    I hope for a closure in this case with murderer bought to justice

This article from 2004 showed they had a suspect who was a former Ft Bragg firefighter and were conducting DNA testing. They suspected him because he had photos of the little girl in his locker at the fire station they found after he was arrested on an unrelated charge.

http://robesonian.com/archive/65371/..._of_5-year-old

I have searched a few times and cannot find anywhere a follow story was done. Did the DNA testing turn out to confirm the suspect committed the crime?