925 users online (92 members and 833 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianWells View Post
    This part stuck in my head and made me wonder how this works. For the dog to pick up the scent does that mean she followed a trail of where Sherin had been— as in walked or hadn’t been carried— or just that the dog could pick up the scent from that far off? I have a coonhound, and he can smell from a distance, but not that distance unless there’s a scent trail to follow.
    I was wondering the same thing. Could it be the dog picked up on the scent of the person who carried Sherin to the culvert?

Quote Originally Posted by crelisacorder View Post
    So, literally it was K9's and their handlers that found her...... instead of LE?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    LE brought in the K-9 unit, I do believe, possibly because they expected that the rain might have enhanced scents. Also, the handler said they were supposed to be searching a different area (not the culvert), so, likely their was some evidence (type of grass found in the Acura tires, or on WM's shoes, or something along those lines, perhaps?)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiajean View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Could it be the dog picked up on the scent of the person who carried Sherin to the culvert?
    From what i know of cadaver dogs they are specifically trained in detecting cadaver scent only.
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
    Justice for an innocent man.

TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

Quote Originally Posted by crelisacorder View Post
    So, literally it was K9's and their handlers that found her...... instead of LE?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I think the K-9 volunteers were being directed by Richardson LE to different areas (near the Mathews home), that they wanted them to search. But yes, I think it was the K-9's and their handlers who actually found her.

From the same article:

MARK9 assisted Richardson police in several prior searches for Sherin Mathews as police looked in wooded areas near the Mathews family home, helping police rule out certain spots and refocus on others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by osu; 10-27-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiajean View Post
    I was wondering where it was that they were assigned to search.

Quote Originally Posted by Karinna View Post
    From what i know of cadaver dogs they are specifically trained in detecting cadaver scent only.
    Right. Cadaver dogs. I forgot that bit in my comment earlier. But from what I’ve seen in other cases, they can pick up transfer scent too— like in a car were a body was, etc. So perhaps the scent could be carried on a person too? I don’t know. Just seems like a big distance, but I know they are amazing. It makes my idea that WM dropped her down that drain they were searching a little muddier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett12 View Post
    What? While only in her home?

If something was bothering her throat and or stomach it didn’t magically get better when she was away from home.. unless she was in a bad situation in her home.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. Something was being done to her that was irritating her throat or stomach in that home.

This part stuck in my head and made me wonder how this works. For the dog to pick up the scent does that mean she followed a trail of where Sherin had been— as in walked or had been carried— or just that the dog could pick up the scent from that far off? I have a coonhound, and he can smell from a distance, but not that distance unless there’s a scent trail to follow, but he’s not a trained dog or anything.

ETA: HAD been carried. I don’t know why I wrote hadn’t.
    They can even follow a scent if a person was moved in a car! Remember, that was done in the Laci Peterson trial?

Right. Cadaver dogs. I forgot that bit in my comment earlier. But from what I’ve seen in other cases, they can pick up transfer scent too— like in a car were a body was, etc. So perhaps the scent could be carried on a person too? I don’t know. Just seems like a big distance, but I know they are amazing. It makes my idea that WM dropped her down that drain they were searching a little muddier.
    Yes if the cadaver scent is on a person's clothing, vehicle or wherever else it can be detected the dogs will alert to that scent. And i agree they are amazing animals.
    *FREE LEONARD PELTIER*
    Justice for an innocent man.

One thing that’s been bothering me is the report that this sweet girl had eating problems while in the home yet was fine outside of it.

This is weird, to be honest. I’ve dealt with children and eating issues due to employment at a daycare-preschool. When a child had food issues it was 24/7. It didn’t go away due to location UNLESS it was a mental issue.

I can’t help thinking that food was used as a punishment for little Sherin or that she regarded food in the home as “bad”. Meaning was she given food after abuse, or abused then given food?

She probably wouldn’t have that fear outside of the home, she would have felt safe and had no issues eating.

I'm also wondering if food was withheld from her unless she drank her milk first. How many hours was this child possibly made to sit there until she drank her milk? Maybe he got tired of it and force fed her and then just smothered her? I'm just thinking out loud and this is just my opinion. But, if this scenario is even a little bit true, everyone in that house would have known about it. JMO

Can someone explain who Father Thomas is in relation to the family? I believe that was the person interviewed who made several assumptions in regards to her body. Is that their church pastor or just someone in the community. Apparently he is petitioning to obtain the body for burial. It seems very odd to me.

http://cw33.com/2017/10/25/community...he-family/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by osu View Post
    K-9 Handlers Who Found Sherin Mathews Share Their Story

~snip
    Sunday, five pairs of volunteers and dogs from MARK9 responded to another request from Richardson police to search for Sherin again. Searchers say the weather conditions were ideal. Overnight rain along with a breezy and humid morning helped dogs pick up the scent.

One K-9 led her handler to a field north of the Mathews home and eventually to the culvert where investigators found the small child's body.

"She started doing it from a long way off, and it wasn't an area she was supposed to be looking in, but that's how it concluded," said Seevers, of the K-9's path. "She found her way there. One of the things we have to do is we have to believe in them and she took us there."
    ~snip

More at link:
    http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/K-9...#ixzz4wiL5aNCb
    I'm late to the thread, but not to following the story. There's not many worse tragedies than what happened to this child.

How I wish I could cradle this precious baby in my arms, and could have kept her safe, far away from the agony she endured!

Thank you for this link. It's so encouraging to read of such inspiring individuals as these dog handlers who are all volunteers working for this nonprofit search and rescue team.

I'm in such awe of all the personal sacrifice that goes into the countless hours of training of these dogs.

From the link too, it states the team responds to calls from law enforcement at all hours.

Again, so much personal sacrifice by these people. Talk about unsung heroes!

Not to mention too the incredible, hard-working dogs.

Reading this gives me something to be grateful for in this situation, as I dwell on the devastating reason they were needed in the first place..

JMO
    Last edited by JazzTune; 10-27-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeInLA View Post
    They can even follow a scent if a person was moved in a car! Remember, that was done in the Laci Peterson trial?
    Wait, really?! They can follow the outdoor scent trail of a body that was carried in a car?! Holy. My dog is an underachiever.

This is weird, to be honest. I’ve dealt with children and eating issues due to employment at a daycare-preschool. When a child had food issues it was 24/7. It didn’t go away due to location UNLESS it was a mental issue.

RSBM.

Having been an extremely picky kid whose first 12 years or so involved an ongoing, epic battle of wills with my mother over eating, I wonder if any physical feeding issues Sherin had as a baby were in fact resolved, only to be replaced by a different type of food issue: Toddler Mealtime Rebellion. If Sherin was as well-nourished as she looked in recent pictures, she may well have overcome the fear of starvation several of you mentioned upthread and started throwing a fit anytime her parents tried to get yet another bottle of protein shake down her. After a while it can become less about not actually wanting to eat and more about winning the fight; Mom told me that she once sent me to my room after an hours-long battle over some chicken I didn't want to eat, only to check on me later and discover that I'd fallen asleep -- with a well-chewed wad of chicken in my jaw. She could make me chew, by god, but she couldn't make me swallow.

In that context the comment about Sherin liking to eat outside of home, but not at home sounded awfully familiar to me.
    Last edited by dms; 10-27-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: I just can't settle on a font
    Show your work.

Could she still be missing the orphanage? maybe she hasn't been able to bond with the new parents and that may have been her reluctance in eating. I know when I was younger (kidney disease) and they would bring me hospital food, I refused so the nurses would allow my parents to bring food up the back stairs to me or the nurses would go down to the kitchen at night and make me a milkshake so I would take my medicine. They wanted to make sure I had something in my system. I was extremely shy and scared about being in hospitals.

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast