But it's just lettuce!

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Lettuce may be biodegradable, but it's still considered trash -- and a ticket has prompted one Pennsylvania resident to take issue with that.

Dawn Higgins was cited by a Colonial Regional Police officer for throwing some of the green stuff out of her car window while parked outside a Wal-Mart in Lower Nazareth Township, Pa.

Higgins said she took her daughters and a teenage friend to the store, and they stopped at a McDonald's restaurant along the way and bought food.

She said she pulled into a parking space to finish her meal but decided not to eat the half-dozen or so leaves atop her salad.
http://www.nbc4i.com/foodnews/6371571/detail.html
Interesting poll at the link.

This slob said lettuce comes from the ground so it was okay to throw it on the ground. Uh...was the ground covered with blacktop in that parking lot? She probably had to drive past a trash can to exit the parking lot, so why not toss it out then? I hope the judge makes things clear to her, as she sure is setting a bad example for those teenagers.

:eek: I always wing my pickle out the window

although I never throw anything on the ground I don't have issue with something biodegradable like food...

A piece lettuce does not equate to a plastic cup from the 7/11

Opie said:
This slob said lettuce comes from the ground so it was okay to throw it on the ground. Uh...was the ground covered with blacktop in that parking lot? She probably had to drive past a trash can to exit the parking lot, so why not toss it out then? I hope the judge makes things clear to her, as she sure is setting a bad example for those teenagers.
I'm with Opie. Rotting garbage stinks, even if it IS biodegradable. It also gets very slimy, and isn't something you want a little kid or elderly person stepping and slipping on. A rural road side ditch is one thing, a paved shopping center parking lot is quite another!

JMHO,
E

It's a trashy thing to do!

lock her up! :behindbar

Jeana (DP) said:
I'd personally prefer to NOT have to walk around someone's discarded food.
Me either. Nothing worse than stepping out of your car onto somebody's discarded food trash! How gross. Now if it were in a field or along the side of the road where people don't normally walk, and that the critters are more abundant, than that would be okay. Not in a paved parking lot...:doh:

Don't they have seagulls that hang around the Walmart parking lots in PA? They scarf down food here before it hits the ground.

Mabel said:
Don't they have seagulls that hang around the Walmart parking lots in PA? They scarf down food here before it hits the ground.
Not here in Central California, no sea gulls! Just the bums that go around begging, which can be as bug of pests as seagulls.

Yeah, there's seagulls here but not in every parking lot. I actually haven't seen them around too recently. I agree with everyone else who doesn't want to walk around on other peoples food. People leave all kinds of trash in the parking lot of the Wal-Mart near me...no one wants to look at that crap or clean it up just cause you're too lazy to throw it away.

I think she should be sentenced to cleaning up that parking lot one evening and she'd see all the gross stuff people toss out and what a mess it makes.

The grossest thing is when people leave diapers in the parkinglot.

I think a good punishment would be to put tons of expired lettuce all over her driveway, lawn, and porch steps. Grocery stores would probably have some to donate, if the Walmart is one of those 24h kind, they probably have plenty as well when they cycle the produce out. :D

Maybe then she'd not say it's just lettuce.

I too think she should have to clean up the parking lot. People leave all kinds of garbage in Wal-Mart parking lots...mostly boxes from stuff they bought or bottles of motor oil.

Amraann said:
The grossest thing is when people leave diapers in the parkinglot.
Holy cow! I never did that! Nasty.. I would drive with that icky diaper until I found the trash bin! :snooty:

Anyway... I dont throw things out my window because I don't want my children to do it. We arent big on 'the environment' or anything... we just appreciate cleanliness, and there is nothing worse than beautiful scenery littered with trash.

A few times a year we take our kids up to Devils Lake state park where they have some remarkably beautiful trails to walk on. Well... because we like to see these trails and the scenery they offer, we always take a trash bag with us on our hike, and whatever we discard (empty water bottles, snacks for the kids along the way, etc) goes in the trash bag. I've also taught my kids that if they see something on the trail that someone threw out, to point it out, and we will throw it in our trash bag. MAN, does that bug me. Someone too lazy to carry their own trash out!

Here's a website to Devils Lake in case anyone wants to see how gorgeous it is. http://www.devilslakewisconsin.com/

Anyway, I dont care if it is biodegradable.... I dont want to see it. If it's yours, you should throw it away in the TRASH...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back