838 users online (131 members and 707 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Rape Suspect Released From Jail Hours Before Attack

Police announced Monday that they arrested a man and charged him with raping and kidnapping a 15-year-old girl who was walking to a high school basketball game.

Charles S. Davis was arrested shortly after 1 a.m. on West Broad Street, NBC 4's Elizabeth Scarborough reported.

According to police, Davis, 32, approached the girl and started a conversation. Then he allegedly pulled out a knife and forced her into a vacant apartment.

"He is a registered sex offender. He had been in jail prior to him being released in April of 2004," Schwab said. "We hope this time he possibly won't be let out for a very long time."

NBC 4 learned Monday that Davis was supposed to be in jail on Saturday night.
    http://www.nbc4i.com/news/6363138/detail.html
    More at link
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

There is no other reason to deny bail and reach for longer sentences than this case. They will re-offend just give them the opportunity.

It wasn't a bail issure.
    His behavior was so bad at the jail, that they took him to the hospital. But since they didn't put any kind of hold on him, and he was an adult, he didn't have to stay for treatment.
    So he is out on the street, and a young teen gets raped by him!

Now if he was too bad for the jail, wouldn't you think they would make sure that he had to stay in the hospital? Or put him in isolation in the jail?
    But noooo, he gets released to the public!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I have faced this issue a few months ago. Not only will the hospital not give you info they will not accept info. So, it is like their hands are clean for the whole situation when, obviously, this wasn't the case. And in future cases it is not being preemptive but rather going with the flow and when something bad happens everyone raise their hands and say, Well, we were going with protocol. Unfortunately, there will be a victim and the victim is more than likely not aware of protocol.

Oh, but there is a protocol. When LE takes someone in custody to the hosp., they are supposed to stay with them...... if they are released- they are supposed to take them back to jail. If they are hospitalized, they are supposed to be put on a police hold, and handcuffed to a bed if necessary (and I would have thought it was necessary in this case). Then when the inmate is released from hospital, the hosp. is supposed to notify LE, who goes back and picks him up. At least that is the way I have always seen it work.
    If that is not how it is supposed to work, one thing I feel certain of- an inmate whose behavior is too bad for the jail to handle, should never, ever be released to the public!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    It wasn't a bail issure.
    His behavior was so bad at the jail, that they took him to the hospital. But since they didn't put any kind of hold on him, and he was an adult, he didn't have to stay for treatment.
    So he is out on the street, and a young teen gets raped by him!

Now if he was too bad for the jail, wouldn't you think they would make sure that he had to stay in the hospital? Or put him in isolation in the jail?
    But noooo, he gets released to the public!
    If you strangle your partner...its oops, accidental, rough consensual sex.

If you rape someone...make sure your attorney finds a wacko judge (60 days)

And now...If you don't want to stay overnight in jail, act crazy and annoy cellmates.

I learned something new today!!

Question

http://www.nbc4i.com/news/6363138/detail.html

"""""""""""""snippet""""""""""""""""

Anyone with information about the crime is asked to contact the Columbus Police Detective Bureau at (614) 645-4624. Anonymous calls can be made to Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at (614) 645-8477

LOL...I LOVE this line at the end of the news article. Which crime do they mean- the rape or the fact he was let out of jail unsupervised and walked from hospital??????????????

Oh, but there is a protocol. When LE takes someone in custody to the hosp., they are supposed to stay with them...... if they are released- they are supposed to take them back to jail. If they are hospitalized, they are supposed to be put on a police hold, and handcuffed to a bed if necessary (and I would have thought it was necessary in this case). Then when the inmate is released from hospital, the hosp. is supposed to notify LE, who goes back and picks him up. At least that is the way I have always seen it work.
    If that is not how it is supposed to work, one thing I feel certain of- an inmate whose behavior is too bad for the jail to handle, should never, ever be released to the public!
    It doesn;t happen that way in other states. The hospital is in control. HIPPA laws precede all others. I know, this is a battle I fight every day.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    You've got that right, Mysteriew! If they can't handle them, how are innocent bystanders supposed to handle them?

On that link, I found a link for another guy who was in prison for theft and raped a 14 year old girl the same day he was released. Scary!

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    It doesn;t happen that way in other states. The hospital is in control. HIPPA laws precede all others. I know, this is a battle I fight every day.
    Didn't know that...LE doesn't have to wait? They don't have guardian or custody rights over mentally ill patient? hhhmmm, interesting.

must be frustrating for you, if you have to deal with this all the time.

different here in norway. jails have drs who come to them.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    This is outside of HIPAA rules. No the hosp. cannot release any info on the patient without the patient's signing a release of info. But if they were brought in in custody, they can be released in custody. And they may need a court order, but if LE puts a hold on a patient, then the hosp. is mandated to notify LE of their discharge.

HIPPA stands for HEALTH INSURANCE PORTABILITY AND ACCOUNTABILITY ACT OF 1996
    Simply put, the HIPAA act is designed to limit the scope of info that medical providers can release to an insurance company. However, medical providers have been trying to use it as a guideline to any release of info ever since.

Here are a couple of websites on it.
    http://aspe.hhs.gov/admnsimp/pl104191.htm
    and the explanation version:
    http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/
    If you are having major problems with it, I would suggest contacting your health insurance company and asking them to explain the act to you. Or you could try calling the local legal aid society and see if you can get someone to explain it.
    Note, I don't suggest you call the hosp. and have them explain it, because they don't really understand it, and they then try to apply it to other situations and blame it on HIPPA.

If LE has a suspicion then they can send them over. It is up to the hospital to evaluate and hold or send to other facilities. If the budget is tight they may do a 24 hour hold and release. I don't have all the facts as my family loves denial but I can say my brother is on lithium and even still, he threatens anyone who comes around him except my parents because that is where his bread is buttered.It will end up ugly but I have done everything humanly possible. All I can do is tell you about dysfunctional families. I can't cure them. But I sure know them.

But this guy was already arrested and in jail on a charge, before they took him to the hospital. LE couldn't make him stay in the hospital if he refused. But if he refused, they should have been taking him back to the jail!

But this guy was already arrested and in jail on a charge, before they took him to the hospital. LE couldn't make him stay in the hospital if he refused. But if he refused, they should have been taking him back to the jail!
    They can't do that. It is up to the hospital/doctors. They have to get a separate warrent that takes time. Double edge sword. This is one area where the perps fall through the cracks.