xenical, lose weight pill

michelle

Joy comes in the Morning
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this on the news, it used to be perscription only but since so many Americans are overweight its no over the counter in a low dose, it is supposed to help you lose weight if you are atleast 20 pnds overweight and up....Its been out since 1999 and they say its very safe...:waitasec: mmm too good to be true??

michelle said:
Did anyone else see this on the news, it used to be perscription only but since so many Americans are overweight its no over the counter in a low dose, it is supposed to help you lose weight if you are atleast 20 pnds overweight and up....Its been out since 1999 and they say its very safe...:waitasec: mmm too good to be true??
i've taken xenical for years. I take it with fatty meals and it absorbs the fat. I love it. But since I don't eat too many fatty meals I don't take it very often.

I saw that the FDA was considering whether to make it available OTC. I didn't see where they already did.

JBean said:
i've taken xenical for years. I take it with fatty meals and it absorbs the fat. I love it. But since I don't eat too many fatty meals I don't take it very often.
does it work? I have never heard of it until now...Its not one of those things where it makes you heart race is it??

nanandjim said:
I saw that the FDA was considering whether to make it available OTC. I didn't see where they already did.
Now, it is not covered by my insurance and it is very expensive. Since I don't take it frequently, my prescription lasts forever. but i could not imagine taking it regularly the way it is now. It would be wat to costly. So I'll be curious to see what OTC goes for.

michelle said:
does it work? I have never heard of it until now...Its not one of those things where it makes you heart race is it??
No no not at all.
It is NOT an appetite supressant or anything like that. It blocks the absorption of fat by like 30% or something. It works for me, I am not overweight and i do not eat fatty meals with any regularity. But I do use it to help keep my weight down when i eat fatty foods. Just read the warnings...they are true:)

JBean said:
No no not at all.
It is NOT an appetite supressant or anything like that. It blocks the absorption of fat by like 30% or something. It works for me, I am not overweight and i do not eat fatty meals with any regularity. But I do use it to help keep my weight down when i eat fatty foods. Just read the warnings...they are true:)
i have been doing weight watchers and i get so discouraged , i only have about 20 pounds to lose, but i hate taking pills for that..But this one sounds good..

michelle said:
i have been doing weight watchers and i get so discouraged , i only have about 20 pounds to lose, but i hate taking pills for that..But this one sounds good..
It is excellent to use during weight loss. But it is designed to work with a weight loss program. It is not a "magic" pil, but can help you along.As far as the warnings, take it with fiber and if you are not eating really fatty foods, you won't have problems.
But, if you take it 3 x a day after each meal, which is good with weight loss, a 30 supply can run you between 80 and 100 bucks.

JBean said:
It is excellent to use during weight loss. But it is designed to work with a weight loss program. It is not a "magic" pil, but can help you along.As far as the warnings, take it with fiber and if you are not eating really fatty foods, you won't have problems.
But, if you take it 3 x a day after each meal, which is good with weight loss, a 30 supply can run you between 80 and 100 bucks.
yea weight watchers is free, i like that, lol....I really cant afford to pay alot for a pill, but i think its good because it blocks the fatty foods. I really dont each much fatty foods. I am a veggie and fruit eater more then anything and i really dont each much red meat either..I have a hiatel hernia so doc told me to lose about 20 pnds and i will feel alot better so i have been trying, but this pill sounds awesome.

I have taken Xenical as part of a weight loss program. I took it for about 4.5 months. It does help in removing a percentage of the fat that you consume, but it has VERY undesirable, uncontrollable, embarrassing side effects that occur without warning. As part of the plan with taking Xenical, you aren't supposed to consume much in the way of fatty foods. If you do, Xenical keeps your system from absorbing the majority of the fat, "sending the fat out of your system"...if anyone wants more of a specific or graphic explanation, I'll be glad to provide, but I don't want to make anyone sick if no one wants to know.... In order to avoid the undesirable side effects that come with taking Xenical, you cut the fat...so if you are going to cut the fat anyway - you don't need Xenical - because you are cutting fat anyway. You can't just add Xenical to your diet and continue eating fatty foods, you have to reduce the amount of fatty foods that you take in. So I quit taking it. I found that while taking Xenical, I was reducing the fat to avoid the negative side effects, and I was doing that on my own - proving to myself that I actually CAN reduce the fat intake. So I continued my new habit of not consuming such fatty food - and losing weight all on my own. The side effects helped me to develop self control that I didn't know I had, in regards to my food choices. So, no matter whether it is prescription, or over the counter, you are going to have some REALLY unpleasant side effects if you eat the bad foods - it is honestly easier to just avoid the foods than have those side effects!

Mitty said:
I have taken Xenical as part of a weight loss program. I took it for about 4.5 months. It does help in removing a percentage of the fat that you consume, but it has VERY undesirable, uncontrollable, embarrassing side effects that occur without warning. As part of the plan with taking Xenical, you aren't supposed to consume much in the way of fatty foods. If you do, Xenical keeps your system from absorbing the majority of the fat, "sending the fat out of your system"...if anyone wants more of a specific or graphic explanation, I'll be glad to provide, but I don't want to make anyone sick if no one wants to know.... In order to avoid the undesirable side effects that come with taking Xenical, you cut the fat...so if you are going to cut the fat anyway - you don't need Xenical - because you are cutting fat anyway. You can't just add Xenical to your diet and continue eating fatty foods, you have to reduce the amount of fatty foods that you take in. So I quit taking it. I found that while taking Xenical, I was reducing the fat to avoid the negative side effects, and I was doing that on my own - proving to myself that I actually CAN reduce the fat intake. So I continued my new habit of not consuming such fatty food - and losing weight all on my own. The side effects helped me to develop self control that I didn't know I had, in regards to my food choices. So, no matter whether it is prescription, or over the counter, you are going to have some REALLY unpleasant side effects if you eat the bad foods - it is honestly easier to just avoid the foods than have those side effects!
Oh MItty I know of what you speak. Taking fiber with the pill stops the side effects too.
Most of the people that I know that take it during weight loss, avoid fatty meals, but take the pill with every meal, even though their meals are low in fat. It does increase thier weight loss. I have not used it as a weight loss aid, only as an extra helper when I go out and eat a fatty meal at a restaurant or something.
Did you ever take it just regularly at each meal, even though the meal wasn't too fatty? I know people that have had great results that way and no side effects.;)

Mitty said:

yikes....i get your drift

found this...

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/XEN1529.HTM

What side effects may occur?

Side effects of Xenical are more common during the first year of treatment. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Xenical.

More common side effects may include:
Abdominal discomfort or pain, anxiety, arthritis, back pain, diarrhea, dizziness, earache, fatigue, fatty or oily stools, fecal urgency or incontinence, flu, gas with fecal discharge, gum problems, headache, increased defecation, menstrual problems, muscle pain, nausea, oily discharge, rectal discomfort or pain, respiratory tract infections, skin rash, sleep problems, tooth problems, urinary tract infections, vaginal inflammation, vomiting...

i think i'll just stick w/low fat foods...lol

OMG! That is so hilarious Close_Enough! :laugh: :eek: Any of these things would be very problamatic, but just think if you are prone to getting more than one at once! BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D Brother, what else could you wish for to lose weight?

" . . More common side effects may include:
Abdominal discomfort or pain, anxiety, arthritis, back pain, diarrhea, dizziness, earache, fatigue, fatty or oily stools, fecal urgency or incontinence, flu, gas with fecal discharge, gum problems, headache, increased defecation, menstrual problems, muscle pain, nausea, oily discharge, rectal discomfort or pain, respiratory tract infections, skin rash, sleep problems, tooth problems, urinary tract infections, vaginal inflammation, vomiting...

:p Scandi

Those side effects are horrendous!!

I think a person would rather be fat. LOL

I remember the tv commercial....frequent bowel movements and the inability to control them, and seepage was a problem too!

SCARED me away!

JBean said:
No no not at all.

Yes, I have a friend who discovered, while standing in Walmart, that the warnings are true. For those of you who are blissfully unaware, I'll just tell you that the warnings include the words ANAL LEAKAGE. My poor friend!

JBean is using the pill just right. Occasionally to block fat absorbtion.

The article in my local paper states that Xenical is good for "modest" weight loss and every study has shown that people gain the weight back as soon as they go off the pill. Why? Cuz they still eat tons of fatty foods!

I dont think it is worth it with those side effects!!!!

scandi said:
OMG! That is so hilarious Close_Enough! :laugh: :eek: Any of these things would be very problamatic, but just think if you are prone to getting more than one at once! BaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :D Brother, what else could you wish for to lose weight?

" . . More common side effects may include:

:p Scandi

LOL...yeah, & those are the "more common side effects"....

michelle said:
I dont think it is worth it with those side effects!!!!
I don't either. After years and years of looking for a magic pill, I have finally accepted that losing weight involves a simple strategy: Burn more calories than you consume.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back