AL - Sherry Garmon, 63, beaten to death, Gadsden, 22 Jan 2006

mssheila

Reaction score
Son sought in mother's slaying

Victim's car, money taken

A 41-year-old man with a mental illness is believed to be responsible for the brutal slaying of his mother Sunday morning in Gadsden's Country Club neighborhood.

[size=-1]Sherry Kay Garmon, 63, was found beaten to death on her bedroom floor about noon, Etowah County Deputy Coroner Michael Gladden said.

[/size]

http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060123/NEWS/601230327/0/FRONTPAGE

And then they caught him:

Suspect found in South Carolina
Gadsden man authorities have been looking for since Sunday afternoon in connection with the brutal slaying of his mother has been found in Cherokee County, S.C., according to the Gadsden Police Department.

[size=-1]Cherokee County is near Spartanburg in the northern part of the state.

Detective Scott Lumpkin said Keith Garmon, 41, was taken into custody by officials in South Carolina early today after he told an attendant at a rest stop that he was out of gas and out of money. He said 911 was called and it was discovered Garmon was wanted here for questioning.

[size=-1][/size]

[size=-1]http://www.gadsdentimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060124/BREAKING/60124002/1011[/size]
[size=-1][/size]
[size=-1][/size]
[size=-1]Interestingly... My husband grew up across the street from this house and used to be friends with the suspect. My husband said this kid was always a little "off".

[/size]

[/size]

This would be an exact description of my brother. I check the local news daily to see if this has occurred in my hometown. Being committed has done nothing to stop his bad behavior. He got out and even though the folks were warned about him, they welcomed him back. Still support him, both financially and emotionally. He is 49 years old with no job and no prospects. He is black raged filled and has threatened all of us and even put my dad on a nursing home list. My dad is not ready to go to a nursing home. It is his way of getting rid of a roadblock. Mom is his only enabler to the inth. He would kill her in a flash once he knew that the proceeds of the will would go to him. Sorry for all this but I recognize the sickness. It is not surprising to me at all.

A strange update to this story....

I was in Alabama for the past couple of weeks. Hubby wanted to show me the house he grew up in.... which meant we had to drive right by the murdered woman's house. I also got some local insight on the story if anyone's interested in it. It sure is weird to drive by a house where someone was brutally murdered.

mssheila said:
A strange update to this story....

I was in Alabama for the past couple of weeks. Hubby wanted to show me the house he grew up in.... which meant we had to drive right by the murdered woman's house. I also got some local insight on the story if anyone's interested in it. It sure is weird to drive by a house where someone was brutally murdered.

I would love to hear the local insight...please share :)

Well, my mother in law is close to this family. She stayed in touch with them over the years. She has talked to the Husband/Father since it happened. He's obviously in peices and shaken badly that his son could do this. THe father was visiting his other son in Atlanta (I think it was atlanta) at the time of the murder. The family knew the son was violent, but never thought he'd hurt one of them. The husband found her body. When we drove by, we could see him in the window. He doesn't plan to move, they've lived in that house over 40 years.

It's really heartbreaking to him to have to see his son on trial for his wife's murder. I haven't heard anything about what the other brother thinks of his brother's actions, but I'm sure it's much the same as the father's.

I'll keep you posted when I know more.

concernedperson said:
This would be an exact description of my brother. I check the local news daily to see if this has occurred in my hometown. Being committed has done nothing to stop his bad behavior. He got out and even though the folks were warned about him, they welcomed him back. Still support him, both financially and emotionally. He is 49 years old with no job and no prospects. He is black raged filled and has threatened all of us and even put my dad on a nursing home list. My dad is not ready to go to a nursing home. It is his way of getting rid of a roadblock. Mom is his only enabler to the inth. He would kill her in a flash once he knew that the proceeds of the will would go to him. Sorry for all this but I recognize the sickness. It is not surprising to me at all.
How sad and scary to live with that fear. Mental illness is a baffling thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back