1305 users online (200 members and 1105 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyWaters View Post
    from the last thread -
    rsd1200 wrote:
    "Not being snarky, at all, but I don't think that I could ever heal from losing my child, then combined with the fact that he had murdered 27 people, no, I'd never heal."

I agree totally. Other parents of mass murderers have stated they'd give their lives in a moment if it could bring back the deceased. It does make me wonder if the primary intent of a crime such as this is to mentally and emotionally punish his parents for the rest of their lives. Knowing nothing about them, of course I can't say for sure but just imaging - to be haunted by guilt, what could they have done differently, what went wrong, should've they known, were there signs, etc something no parent could ever truly know the answers to.
    I definitely think part of the motivation is to hurt or punish or get the attention of the parents/family.

The surviving family members of a mass murderer will never be the same again, and the pain will always be there...but there is the possibility of healing, which the murderer denied himself.

jmo

Those who are discharged from the Air Force based on “bad conduct” are not barred from legally purchasing weapons, according to the New York Daily News.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/06...n-purpose.html
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

thepinkdragon is online now Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Mental Health & PTSD Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Those who are discharged from the Air Force based on “bad conduct” are not barred from legally purchasing weapons, according to the New York Daily News.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/11/06...n-purpose.html
    Yep. That is also how he was a permitted Security Guard. The AF dropped the ball on this one. He was convicted under a General Court Martial and should have gotten a Dishonorable. I said yesterday I thought it was interesting that I couldn't find his record and that the Air Force was going to want to distance themselves if possible especially if they could have taken further measures to prevent something else from happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

apologies if this has been posted already, still have 23 pages to read!!! From just today.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/u...626860&ref=cta

As many as 14 children and a pregnant woman lay lifeless. Those dead inside the church ranged from 18 months to 77 years of age, according to law enforcement officials.

this!!

Mr. Kelley contacted his father from his cellphone during the chase to tell him that he had been shot, according to law enforcement. Mr. Kelley told his father that he “didn’t think he was going to make it.” He subsequently shot himself, though officials said they were not yet sure if that shot had caused his death.

The sheriff described a horrific and methodical killing. Mr. Kelley appeared to have begun at the front of the church, having “shot his way in,” and fired his weapon from side to side as he paced through the room.

There was nothing anyone could do until he came out,” Sheriff Tackitt said. The sheriff later declined to give more information about what had happened inside the church.

Mr. Kelley did not have a license to carry, according to investigators who briefed the news media on Monday morning, but he had a private security license “similar to a security guard at a concert,”

Three weapons belonging to Mr. Kelley were recovered during the investigation — a rifle at the church and two handguns in his car.
    ..or so it appears.. ...

Quote Originally Posted by thepinkdragon View Post
    Yep. That is also how he was a permitted Security Guard. The AF dropped the ball on this one. He was convicted under a General Court Martial and should have gotten a Dishonorable. I said yesterday I thought it was interesting that I couldn't find his record and that the Air Force was going to want to distance themselves if possible especially if they could have taken further measures to prevent something else from happening.

Maybe it was a plea deal.

Also from the article.

“He pled to intentionally doing it.”

Words matter.

Just got this notification from AP, "Officials: Air Force didn't submit Texas church shooter's criminal history to FBI, as required by Pentagon rules."

Somebody screwed up BIG TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by GrilledCheezy View Post
    Just got this notification from AP, "Officials: Air Force didn't submit Texas church shooter's criminal history to FBI, as required by Pentagon rules."

uh oh.

There IS some boot shaking going on! MOO

"Air Force Failed to Submit Texas Shooter's Criminal History"

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nati...455643723.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I forgot to add that this wasn't an Article 15.; those are usually at the company level and there can be extra duty. A field grade Article 15 is usually a precursor to a court martial however. It usually involves reduction in rank and pay and if the investigating officer finds cause for a summary court martial it escalates from there. He was convicted by court martial and under confinement for a year. After he served his sentence he was then discharged.
    He may well have been. The reports do say "court martial". At the same time, battalion commanders can also hold Article 15 administrative procedures and assign a penalty of 1 year confinement, bad conduct discharge.

Then factor in that he may have started out as a judicial Court Martial with the potential for a criminal conviction, but then moved to an administrative Article 15 with the maximum punishment being given.

The report also refers to a 'Colonel'. Battalion commanders are Lieutenant Colonels. The more senior Colonel officer implies a full Court Martial. In the end, I think it is best to wait for the military to clarify whether it was administrative or judicial.

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    Maybe it was a plea deal.
    Also from the article.
    “He pled to intentionally doing it.”
    This syntax, instead of "pled guilty", seems to imply admitting the facts in an administrative hearing (article 15) and not a full court martial.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 11-06-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrilledCheezy View Post

This is already becoming a political 'Hot Potato', abctv news just had a long segment on this locally and apparently Air force
    says they requested additional funds from Congress to have this info put into the national database and Congress
    turned them down.

Fwiw imo these US 'shooter' threads residing in the 'Up To The Minute' forum is denying reality - which many US citizens seem to be doing where multiple deaths of innocent people are concerned. The same threads are opened in 'Crimes In The News' yet they are closed and morphed into 'up to the minute'. They are crimes - at least to the rest of the world.

Have only read maybe 6 pages of thread #1 - the denial is overwhelming. It's not the easy access to rapid fire guns, or the fact that the US thinks having rapid fire guns are fine, it's everyone/everything else that is to blame. Denial imo and enabling the next person thinking of shooting up a public place. How long will it take to beat this shooting, or the Mandalay Hotel shooting?

One post I did catch reminded me that not all US citizens think that this unique situation to the US is OK - that poster said they were embarrassed for their country. Another poster then chastised that poster for their audacity to speak such a thought - claiming the US is the greatest country in the world.

Just want to say to the chastising poster - not anymore my friend. You stand alone in your country now with that thought - and complicity comes with denying there is a problem. Will read the headlines of the next mass shooting, but will not be interested in any details - have already read them.

Jmo.

Known to beat DOGS and only worked 5 1/2 weeks this summer. Why say "he wasn't a good fit" when his background check wasn't passed???

"He also ran into trouble with the law as a civilian, according to court records, which indicate he was cited for misdemeanor cruelty to animals in August 2014"

"All our security guards must pass a criminal background check through the Texas Department of Public Safety," she continued

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-churc...ry?id=50961870

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He broke his stepsons skull in 2012.... WHY wasn't it a Dishonorable? Talk about beyond bad conduct.....

https://nyti.ms/2hKKqrT

ETA: https://legaldictionary.net/dishonorable-discharge/

This has a summary of the types of discharges. I posted it in Thread 1. The distinction here is that you can still buy a weapon with a bad conduct discharge and that also allowed him to get a permit as a Security Guard. Now I know why I couldn't find the record of his court martial... how did they think they were going to hide what he did?

It does not matter. He was convicted of a domestic violence -related crime and thus federally, could not even possess, let alone buy, a firearm.

Someone else posted that the length of his sentence precluded gun ownership as well, which I did not know.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Air Force admits bureaucratic error allowed Texas shooter to buy gun used in mass shooting

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ai...rticle/2639807

Words matter.

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast