1035 users online (185 members and 850 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    And that may go double in Europe.

An article on CNN today detailed how European teams especially don't like prima donnas and player drama. This player and his father seem to thrive off of both. The article also mentioned that like Chinese teams, European teams can only recruit so many players from the U.S. and are unlikely to risk giving a slot to an unproven athlete.

I can understand his feelings and his decision.

In other professions, an "indefinite suspension" is the bueracratic way of saying "permanently fired". This may, or may not be the case with UCLA athletic programs. If it is not the case, then this should be communicated clearly to Li Angelo.

In short, I can see LiAngelo coming to the conclusion that he is not going to play ball for UCLA again. I would enroll in another state college in the LA area- even a small one, then join the basketball team as a drama free, humble "walk on". I don't know if it is possible to do this mid season or not.
    If LiAngelo was on his own, I could see him doing a walk on thing somewhere, like Cal State, and working his way back. But as long as he is sticking by his father, that ain't going to happen.

His father already said that he has no interest in his son getting a college education. He doesn't need an education, all he needs to do is know how to play Ball. He honestly said that on live tv:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/05/lav...l-cnn-video-2/

The conversation again centered on what happened in China with LiAngelo’s shoplifting, and eventually got to this exchange about the education that he is foregoing by leaving school:

Cuomo: You worried about compromising his future? UCLA is a great ticket for him it’s a great education.

Ball: We’re going FORWARD with his future. With a great education of what? Now, if my boy wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, YES! With UCLA we’d have to wait back and say, ‘Wow.’ But to be the world’s greatest basketball player, man, it’s not rocket scientists. Either you got the talent or you don’t.

So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now. Just needs to go play professional ball in China or Italy,..." it's not rocket scientists..."
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

OMG, seriously a parent saying his child does not need an education, WOW! Those poor kids! How sad!

"it's not rocket scientists" well someone needs an education.

Ball family take another bad bounce.

Ok I'm sorry I couldn't help it

Managers aren't interested.

https://br.app.link/25owhrUVFE?$deeplink_path=article/bleacherreport.com/articles/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas&$fallback_url=http://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas.amp.html

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now.
    The scholarship is probably contingent on his son playing basketball. I don't know if somebody with an indefinite suspension would be allowed to keep the scholarship past the current semester.

My general understanding is that basketball is especially ruthless in regards to being an active player or not due to the small number of people on each team. Thus, losing three players is a big impact and immediate replacements must be found. This could increase the chances of the scholarships being given to other deserving athletes in the spring.

The father rejecting all future education is foolish. Given his son's demonstrated ability as a Division I basketball scholarship winner, allowing basket ball to weigh heavily in future educational choices would be understandable.

In the end, Li Angelo's chances of being picked up by a relatively big name team in Asia or Europe are small simply because he has not had time to establish a track record at the Division I college level. Mixed with a dose of humility, Cal State for both education and well, of course basketball in the spring would be his best choice.
    Last edited by Cryptic; 12-08-2017 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    If LiAngelo was on his own, I could see him doing a walk on thing somewhere, like Cal State, and working his way back. But as long as he is sticking by his father, that ain't going to happen.

His father already said that he has no interest in his son getting a college education. He doesn't need an education, all he needs to do is know how to play Ball. He honestly said that on live tv:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/05/lav...l-cnn-video-2/

The conversation again centered on what happened in China with LiAngelo’s shoplifting, and eventually got to this exchange about the education that he is foregoing by leaving school:

Cuomo: You worried about compromising his future? UCLA is a great ticket for him it’s a great education.

Ball: We’re going FORWARD with his future. With a great education of what? Now, if my boy wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, YES! With UCLA we’d have to wait back and say, ‘Wow.’ But to be the world’s greatest basketball player, man, it’s not rocket scientists. Either you got the talent or you don’t.

So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now. Just needs to go play professional ball in China or Italy,..." it's not rocket scientists..."
    That father apparently doesn't realize his flashy ego will not be welcome in China.

And if his kids are the best then why aren't they going to play for the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by MzOpinion8d View Post
    That father apparently doesn't realize his flashy ego will not be welcome in China.

And if his kids are the best then why aren't they going to play for the NBA?
    I'm sure China is well aware of Father Ball.

The oldest son played for UCLA his freshman year and was drafted by the LA Lakers. I believe he is in his first year with the Lakers. He did not complete his 4 year scholarship and dropped out to join the NBA.

Gelo (the admitted thief in China) was in his freshman year at UCLA when he was benched. He cannot play for the NBA because a player must either be out of high school or college 1 year and be 19 years old.

The youngest (I forgot his name) scored over 90 points in a high school game last season and his father's head got so big that he pulled his son from school and is training him at home.

LaVar, the father, is looking for an overseas team for both the youngest and Gelo until the NBA draft in June 2018.

I'm reading way too much about this family and the NBA and need to stop.

The REAL loser here is the kid that didn't get the UCLA scholarship that was given to the shoplifter.

what the father seems to not recognize is one car accident/ blown out ACL / medical diagnosis- and how is your kid going to support himself in adulthood?
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    LaVar, the father, is looking for an overseas team for both the youngest and Gelo until the NBA draft in June 2018.
    And over seas teams, though probably willing to put up with drama in players of demonstrated ability, wont take players with out proven track records at the higher levels. The NBA teams would also want to see demonstrated playing ability at the higher levels before making a draft selection.

In the end, though dazzling performances at the high school level may give indications of professional level skills, the quality of the opposition can vary greatly. Performances can be far different in environments where everybody is highly skilled.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19